One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Who loves ya baby!
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! Here is Francois Dumont, French Foreign Legion Para at Dien Bien Phu, Vietnam in 1954. Have always wanted to bash a figure like this as conflict/battle has always interested me. I can remember having many a battle in the backyard with my Joe in the trenches of my makeshift 'Dien Bien Phu', and when the weather gets warmer i cant wait to get out a shovel and make a little trench for Francois to hunker down in.
I had an M1 carbine with the folding stock but wouldnt you know it i cannot find it, so Francois will have to make due with the regular m1 carbine. Anyway, here is and hope you like him, figure is all dml except for the U.S. para shovel and 3 pocket pouch which are DiD. Thanks and enjoy!
-mike-

Added some close up shots:

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Good lord!

You've done it again! Another cracker! If I wasn't feeling so crappy right now I'd get off my butt and get something done. I've got those winter blues, a rotten cold and a dying computer and it just sucks! You wait till I'm better though, then you guys will really see something!

CHEERS!

·
"Load clear!"
206 Posts
Wow. Nice work! I like the grainy pictures in the begining, really added alot to the presentation.

·
Who loves ya baby!
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HI Kevlarhead and thanks so much! Really glad you enjoyed Francois, thanks so much for the comments!!

Hi Zebraten and thanks for the comments ! Glad you liked the figure. Interesting stuff about the possible use of nukes then, found this interesting info on WIkipedia: [edit] U.S. participation
Further information: Operation Vulture
According to the Mutual Defense Assistance Act the United States provided the French with material aid during the battle - aircraft (supplied by the USS Saipan), weapons, mechanics, twenty four CIA/CAT pilots, and US Air Force maintenance crews.[69] However, the United States intentionally avoided public direct intervention. In February 1954, following French occupation of Dien Bien Phu but prior to the battle, Democratic senator Mike Mansfield asked United States Defense Secretary Charles Erwin Wilson whether the U.S. would send naval or air units if the French were subjected to greater pressure there. "For the moment there is no justification for raising United States aid above its present level". U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower also stated, "Nobody is more opposed to intervention than I am".[70] On March 31, following the fall of Beatrice, Gabrielle, and Anne-Marie, a panel of U.S. Senators and House Representatives questioned U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Arthur W. Radford about the possibility of U.S. involvement. Radford concluded it was too late for the U.S. Air Force to save the French garrison. A proposal for direct intervention was unanimously voted down by the panel, which "concluded that intervention was a positive act of war".[71]

The United States did covertly participate in the battle, however. Following a request for help from Henri Navarre, Radford provided two squadrons of B-26 Invader bomber aircraft to support the French. Subsequently, 37 U.S. pilots flew 682 sorties over the course of the battle. Earlier, in order to succeed the pre-Dien Bien Phu Operation Castor of November 1953, General Chester McCarty made available 12 additional C-119 Flying Boxcars flown by French crew.[72] Two of the U.S. pilots, Wallace Buford and James "Earthquake McGoon" McGovern Jr., were killed in action during the siege of Dien Bien Phu. In February 25, 2005, the seven still living U.S. pilots were awarded the French Legion of Honor by Jean-David Levitte ambassador of France in the United States.[73] The role the U.S. pilots played in the battle had remained little known until 2004; "U.S. historian Erik Kirsinger researched the case for more than a year to establish the facts."[74][75] French author Jules Roy also suggests that Radford discussed with the French the possibility of using nuclear weapons in support of the garrison.[76] Moreover, John Foster Dulles was reported to have mentioned the possibility of lending atomic bombs to the French for use at Dien Bien Phu,[77] and a similar source claims that British Foreign Secretary Sir Anthony Eden was aware of the possibility of nuclear weapons use in the region.[78]
Thanks Zebraten!!

Hi Deuterides and thank you so much!!

HI Tracker and thank you so much as well, so glad you enjoyed this!!

Hi Leo and thanks so much bro, really glad you enjoy my figures and really glad you liked Francois, have always wanted to bash a figure like this.

Hi Roger and thanks so much my friend!! Really glad you like Francois, i have always wanted to bash a figure like this as ive always been interested in the history of the war/battle so digging thru my parts bins i found i had enough to make him. The SS hands i added at the last minute as they add that extra bit of articulation and i like them on a dragon body. I hear ya, ive finally gotten a cold now too, everyone at work has had it for weeks and somehow ive managed to escape it, but not now, i feel crappy today too. Anyway glad you enjoyed, thanks again for the comments!!

Hi Uramegak and thanks so much!! Really glad you liked this one too, cant wait to see your next one!

Hi AirCommando and thanks so much for the comments! I really like adding grainy effect like that when i can and for this bash i thought it would be a great chance to do that, like you said i think it adds a lot and takes you back to that time. Really glad you liked this, thanks!!

Hi Mercenary and thanks once again for the comments!! Really glad you liked Francois, i can hardly wait to get him outside in the 'trenches' and snap a few more pics. Glad you enjoyed thanks man!!

Thanks so much fellas!!
-mike-

·
Uber-Unteroffizier
1,546 Posts
Wow, isn't it funny how, even in battle, the French manage to bring style into the equation:D
Seriously cool figure, make sure to take some shots in the trenches. Great posing as well, for all those shots.
i can see its a sideshow body but who is the headsculpt? is it Arnold Schone?

·
Who loves ya baby!
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Roger, right now a vitamin shot administered by a hawt nurse would do wonders!
Cheers!

Hi TS and thanks so much! You are so right, the French do have a bit of flair dont they, even in battle.
Really glad you liked the figure, have always wanted to make a figure from this battle as well as a Legionaire from any period, they are just too cool. Will definately take some shots outside once the weather warms, its great fun getting the figures outside for a bit of fun!
THe hands are sideshow but the nude is dml, i just adapted the wrists to fit the dml wrist post, i love that extra bit of articulation. And you are correct, it is Arnold, love that hs!! Thanks TS!!
-mike-

·
Who loves ya baby!
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Nick and thanks so much!! For Francois i used a neo3 body and its great fun to pose, i would have done a few more but my camera battery ran out. Thanks Nick, glad you enjoyed!!

Hi Shaun and thanks very much!! Really glad y ou enjoyed Francois, have always wanted to make a figure from this era. The HS is Arnold Schone, a really nice hs and one ive been wanting to use, hard to find i think now tho. Thanks Shaun!!

THanks so much guys!!
-mike-

·
Registered
335 Posts
Super duper job, Mike!! Thanks for the history....I enjoy reading the background...helps me to realize what I missed in history class and I feel it brings the characters to life. Love that pose signalling for drops!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.