One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

Some 1:1 world news about it.

The 'Ferrari' of US special-operations helicopters may soon be headed out of service (msn.com)

For the record, I own a squadron and then some of these (the CIA / night ops retail version w/ pilot figure) all still MIB/NRFB.

I consider the 21STCT TUS AH-6 Little Bird to be the likely the best mass produced 1:6 aircraft ever made in the 1:6 hobby.

Finding them in new and / or in superb condition can be difficult and pricey nowadays.

Interesting to read how the venerable 1:1 helicopter could be phased out of service considering its long service history much like the aging, but still formidable fleet of B-52 bombers still in active service.

If any of you still have your AH-6 Little Bird decked out with operators, then by all means post/share pics of them.

I remember when the GI JANE US Army Helicopter Pilot figure first laid her eyes on the 21STCT AH-6 Little Bird. She was euphoric and had the "O" look of happiness and couldn't wait to finally ride and ride hard a piece of hardware a figure like her was meant to ride . . . I meant pilot.

;) :p

Reactions: cdn_rhino

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,987 Posts
As far as the toy goes, it's a bit under scaled, more like 1:8 or 1:9 scale depending on what measurements are being compared. But it's a toy, not a proper scale model, so that can be forgiven. There are at least 2, maybe 3 versions of the AH-6 Little Bird, the Police version, the Rescue version, and the OH-6 Vietnam version. They're all fun to mess with, and I have 2 myself. Still a very much in demand toy, and prices now are getting very impressive/crazy, depending on your point of view. Just be careful stuffing your figures inside the cabin, it's a tight fit. Better for short bodies, and female figures.

At one point 21C even considered making the MH-6 version with the bench seats. I imagine the reason they didn't is because the landing gear/skids can barely handle the weight of the helicopter, and when you start adding crew and seated members on a bench seat, well...... those skids are just not up to the task.

On the topic of the actual Little Birds, these are not likely to be phased out any time soon. As the article mentions, they just got a re-life program completed, and will continue to be used long into the future. Nothing else can do the same job. It's a very capable machine, and there is nothing that can do the same job. It's a lot like the A-10 Warthog, OV-10 Bronco, B-52 or SR-71. As long as they are still useful, and can be used effectively, and within cost concerns, they will continue to see long term use.

·
Head in the clouds...
1,449 Posts
I remember having the OH-6 Vietnam version many years ago and even picked up the detailing upgrade set that was available from a fellow collector.

Unfortunately, I ended up selling it all off due to lack of display space. That is one piece that I regret giving up. As cdn_rhino mentioned, it was a little undersized but close enough to 1/6th scale that it did not look way off.

By the way, I've seen photos of people removing the blades and somehow attaching the whole helicopter to a ceiling fan! Pretty cool looking!

Reactions: cdn_rhino and User

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did Patches of Pride sell off any of his intellectual property? He had some decent graphic kits for the AH-6 (Vietnam, Coastie, cockpit, etc).
Also, I remember how Blackhawk Down inspired a lot of great 1:6 work using it way back in the day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts