One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
retired firefighter
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys just signed up for flickr ........HELP........how do you get pics from there to OSW? need a quick lesson on basics, thanks for the help

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
guys just signed up for flickr ........HELP........how do you get pics from there to OSW? need a quick lesson on basics, thanks for the help
Upload as you would normally, then go to your photostream (under the you tab).
Select a photo.
Under the photo will be an arrow for sharing.
Select bbcode.
Select image size
Copy the URL in that section and paste into your posts.

Enjoy!

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
I usually take a different approach, by going to the 'Download This Photo' arrow, and selecting 'View All Sizes'.
Then selecting 800x600.
Right clicking on the image once it's resized, and right click, then select 'Copy Image Address'.
Then you're good to pop your photo into OSW VIA the 'Insert Image' button.

·
retired firefighter
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I have been practicing post, slowly getting the hang of it, 2 concerns though 1. when I post a pic and you click on it, it takes me back to my flickr home page, is there a setting that will stop that? 2. when the pic has been posted seems like part of the code is on the right side of the pic

·
Registered
180 Posts
So I have been practicing post, slowly getting the hang of it, 2 concerns though 1. when I post a pic and you click on it, it takes me back to my flickr home page, is there a setting that will stop that? 2. when the pic has been posted seems like part of the code is on the right side of the pic
I delete sections of the code. After I paste into a message board, I delete everything before

For example, the (.....) represent the stuff I deleted from the code. What I have left is:

I've grown to like flickr since I started using it this year. It feels so much smoother than photobucket.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
I usually take a different approach, by going to the 'Download This Photo' arrow, and selecting 'View All Sizes'.
Then selecting 800x600.
Right clicking on the image once it's resized, and right click, then select 'Copy Image Address'.
Then you're good to pop your photo into OSW VIA the 'Insert Image' button.
As far as I recall, doing that is actually against their terms of service as they require a click back link to the original photo page, not the image itself. Hence the standard sharing options which do just that.

Besides, when you share via the BBCode link, there's size options to choose from so you needn't download the picture at all!

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
Huh, I didn't know that about the TOS.
You don't actually download the photo following those steps though, it just gets the sizing you selected.
I might give the BB Code a try, I didn't really know about it before, haha

·
High Speed Recon Mech
723 Posts
Huh, I didn't know that about the TOS.
You don't actually download the photo following those steps though, it just gets the sizing you selected.
I might give the BB Code a try, I didn't really know about it before, haha
You all really need to read closely the Terms of Use, or you might find yourselves shut down.

Flickr says it must always be clearly linked in any link of a posted photo, and so far, I find trying to post individual photos a bit of pain, as it was stated, the link goes back to Flickr directly for each picture.

What I do, so far, is load in in my pictures, and then load them into Flickr Albums, and post the link for the Album.

Example ...

Flickr

Flickr

Flickr

So, you put out just 1 link, which stays out in a thread, and you can add or subtract from that Flickr Album, without having to go to the forums and redo the link.

Yeah, I miss being able to link individual photos like in a "how to" thread, and have them visible in the thread without having to click on each link to see each individual photo, but I haven't found a way to do it yet that doesn't violate what I think their terms of use call for.

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
Hmm. I was checking out the Help section in Flickr, and under Sharing and Social, gives the same method I mentioned above, for Direct URL sharing.
Just have to click on Get A Direct URL To It under the 'More Ways to Share' heading.
Share or embed Flickr photos or albums |

Flickr for Desktop Help

- SLN7319

So I guess it's okay?
Not trying to bicker or say anything is wrong, just wanted to cover my butt.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
You all really need to read closely the Terms of Use, or you might find yourselves shut down.

Flickr says it must always be clearly linked in any link of a posted photo, and so far, I find trying to post individual photos a bit of pain, as it was stated, the link goes back to Flickr directly for each picture.

What I do, so far, is load in in my pictures, and then load them into Flickr Albums, and post the link for the Album.

Example ...

Flickr

Flickr

Flickr

So, you put out just 1 link, which stays out in a thread, and you can add or subtract from that Flickr Album, without having to go to the forums and redo the link.

Yeah, I miss being able to link individual photos like in a "how to" thread, and have them visible in the thread without having to click on each link to see each individual photo, but I haven't found a way to do it yet that doesn't violate what I think their terms of use call for.
You don't need to click a link to see a picture though? They should just y'know, be there, like this.

Skara's Prison Break by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Are you accidentally choosing the link version over the image? You want the 'BB Code' code, NOT 'share', 'embed' or 'email'.

As you can see, the image title often gets stuck on the right of the picture which is a bit annoying so I often remove that from my posts but don't touch the rest of the code so it still links back when you click it.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
Hmm. I was checking out the Help section in Flickr, and under Sharing and Social, gives the same method I mentioned above, for Direct URL sharing.
Just have to click on Get A Direct URL To It under the 'More Ways to Share' heading.
So I guess it's okay?
Not trying to bicker or say anything is wrong, just wanted to cover my butt.
Ahhh, my apologies, maybe things have changed since the last time I checked!

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,872 Posts
I thought there is a book about it.

My Friend FLICKR

;) :p

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Quickie Flickr image tutorial on how I post from there to here. First thing is to pick an image you want to share (like this one). In the lower-right hand corner, you'll see a few icons. You want the little hooked arrow (click image to embiggen):

SafariScreenSnapz001.jpg

When you click that, a pop-up window should appear. Click "BBCode" and you should get a window like the following:

SafariScreenSnapz002.jpg

You can choose the size of the image in the pulldown (I use the 512x640 which may be small these days). The BBCode should be highlighted already.

If you look at it, it will look something like this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/W4sSzC][img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4259/35482458022_6b9c097f37_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/W4sSzC]Warrior Women[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/edwicks_toybox/]Ed's Toy Box[/url], on Flickr

This is BBCode, the special language that this forum uses to format stuff. What you need to know about it is that it "wraps" stuff in those square brackets, with tags in those square brackets marking the start of a tag and the matching tag with a leading "/" character marking the end of a BBCode tag. What you can tell from that is that there's an URL that's wrapped around an IMaGe, followed by another URL that has the photo caption and a link to my account. (And if you really want to know more, here's the page that details how BBCode works.)

If I paste that code as-is in a post, I'll get an image with the label on the right:

Warrior Women by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

But I think that's ugly, so I find the place where the first URL ends and the next one begins and put a line-break in there (and I clean up the weird "'" character that's supposed to be an apostrophe). Now the BBCode looks like this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/W4sSzC][img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4259/35482458022_6b9c097f37_z.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/W4sSzC]Warrior Women[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/edwicks_toybox/]Ed's Toy Box[/url], on Flickr

And in a post, it looks like this:

Warrior Women by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Now the caption is below the image, and the name of my Flickr account doesn't have that weird control character in it.

When I'm posting a photo set here, I end up pasting all this stuff (plus the text I write for my photos) into a plain text editor, and then do a bulk-replace to fix all the URLs and that apostrophe in all the photos, and then copy/paste the whole thing in new posts.

Do this a few dozen/hundred times and it'll get easier ;). Lemme know if something in this is still unclear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts