One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Guardian of Hades
1,558 Posts
That looks like two different shades of metal in the picture.
Does the paint have to come in a spray can? or do you have your own airbrush?

But if you need it in spray cans, you can try looking at the range of automotive touch-up paints.
There should be a variety of metallic paints in lots of different shades to choose from in little rattle-cans.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
For my 1:1 costumes I use silver metallic spray (krylon or rustoleum work for me) then dull it a bit with satin clearcoat. You may skip the clear if you like, it depends on you and the surface you're painting. Smooth is best.
After this dries completely--several hours later or the next day I slowly build up the darker color by dry-brushing on black. It'll grow to a satin shiny gunmetal color after the second or third round of drybrushing--with a good dry and set time in between each dusting.
I'll try to scrounge up a pic in the morning.

·
i'm a lover not a fighter
3,141 Posts
i don't know for certain but sometimes a 'speckled' look comes from a spray nib that's too large or an uneven, rough surface. you might want to check into spraying (like roger stated) alclad through an airbrush or maybe trying to find a high-performance spray nib to replace the nib on your can. also, make sure the surface is as smooth as possible within the parameters of your project :)

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
That looks like two different shades of metal in the picture.
Does the paint have to come in a spray can? or do you have your own airbrush?

But if you need it in spray cans, you can try looking at the range of automotive touch-up paints.
There should be a variety of metallic paints in lots of different shades to choose from in little rattle-cans.
My experiece with Automotive intended paints is that they do look satisfyingly metallic, but swallow up and overwhelm detail like nobody's business. They're meant to hide scratches after all, so they don't respond to surface textures, they smooth them out. Craft paints made to adhere to plastics etc I think do a better job with surface detail where that's an issue.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
If it's a straight metal finish then I can highly recommend Mr. Metal Colour. Paint it on and then give it a quick wipe with a cloth or paper napkin for a great metal finish. It comes in Iron; Dark Iron, Stainless and a couple of other colours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.