One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

From approximately 1998 to 2010, there was a large presence of 1:6 vendors within the US with a retail store front (brick & mortar and/or online).

It's now 2021 and the number of 1:6 vendors within the US is far less than in prior years. However, 1:6 collectors (within the US) now depend and rely upon a number of overseas 1:6 vendors based in Asia (primarily mainland China and Hong Kong) for a number of reasons.

US based 1:6 vendors cannot generally compete with 1:6 vendors in Asia because they receive their brand new merchandise quicker than US 1:6 vendors because virtually all 1:6 brands/manufacturers are in Asia.

In the past, there was usually a window of 30 to 45 days or a bit less before US 1:6 vendors received their orders from US 1:6 distributors. That is no longer the case because COVID caused delays to all businesses where timeframe is now roughly 60-90 days.

1:6 collectors have the "instant gratification" mindset of "I want it now f*** all." This means there are collectors who'll order from overseas vendors and get their 1:6 fix quicker.

1:6 vendors in the US suffer due to that mentality and the overall state of the 1:6 hobby business wise suffers for it.

One 1:6 vendor I chatted with recently (the vendor specializes in boxed and loose 1:6 goods) told me he sees the likelihood of remaining 1:6 vendors (and there are not that many left) shuttering. The vendor I spoke with plays the long game in terms of survival and not dependent on pre-orders. Pre-orders is the bulk of most 1:6 vendors. However, competition for pre-orders with competitive pricing and expedited shipping with the bottom line cost being a bit less or comparable from Asia based 1:6 vendors to US 1:6 vendors is real and valid factor.

So where do you fit in?

Do you pre-order/purchased primarily from Asia 1:6 vendors due to pricing and variety along with convenience?

Do you still support US 1:6 vendors even with the delayed timing, etc.?

Maybe you don't give a f*** as long as you get your 1:6 s*** as cheap as possible?

Reactions: otaku72

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I mix it up. I try to support my local (US based retailers as much as possible). I have a good relationship with a couple, but thanks to the a-holes at Sideshow threatening US based retailers if they so much as carry ANY unlicensed product, I have no choice but to go to Asian retailers for things I want.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I buy loose parts almost exclusively. 70% of my business is between 3 US based 1/6 scale stores. The delay often works in my favor. I am able to get items in the "second wave" of deliveries much cheaper, after early buyers have snapped them up at a premium and the hype has died down a bit. Patience has saved me a lot of cash. I don't care who gets it first. I want to know who stocks in last.

The remaining 30% is with overseas sellers.

Great subject.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I support local small business shops wherever I am but you cannot compete when you are next to factories. It used the opposite when products made in the States or EU had to be shipped to Asia, Middle East and Africa where the in hands cost is even more expensive!

I get it...

I still pre-order to get funds to the local shops and show my support. I am one of those not in the rush to "first".

Amazon killed the B&M market and the pandemic did not help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I mix it up too. I buy a ton from us shops like tinewalker Toys and big bad toystore but I also buy a lot of unlicensed or hard to get figures from Asia sites like GIANTOY and kghobby. I recommend all of them they have been great to work with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts