One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought I would try and "do it yourself" type project yesterday. I needed some black pistol mag pouches and M4 pouches. Instead of scouring the shops, I thought "what the heck, I have the pouches I want to use they are just the wrong colour. Some dye and I should be good to go." So off I went to get some dye. Well, I read on the package that it is not for polyester. I guess the srtaps and webbing is poly. Oh well break out the black paint.
What I started with:

What I ended up with. And this is after 20 minutes in the dyebath.

Oh well.

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Talon, I actually ended up using black paint.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Yep, some of those materials just deny dye's best attempts. Like Talon65 says, perma-marker....or maybe some paint/fabric paint.

.......or get out the pens and turn these into designer gear with a Calvin Klein or Old Navy logo....

·
Registered
10 Posts
The experiment didn't fail. Everything that was able to be dyed was dyed.

Just as you figured, all that other stuff is petroleum based. Talon's suggestion is the best solution.

You did just fine. Black is actually one of the most difficult to get to bite right.

Experiment successful in my book. It just went from a one-step to a two-parter is all.

·
Proactive Procrastinator
1,330 Posts
I agree with Gravy, every dye failure gains you knowledge for the next time. And now you know that It may be best to try one item before trying a bunch at one time. You also know that the job can get done, but requires more steps than just the dye bath.

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
it actually looks like a few pieces made from scraps at the factory...

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
laughinggravy2 said:
The experiment didn't fail. Everything that was able to be dyed was dyed.

Just as you figured, all that other stuff is petroleum based. Talon's suggestion is the best solution.

You did just fine. Black is actually one of the most difficult to get to bite right.

Experiment successful in my book. It just went from a one-step to a two-parter is all.
Thanks LG2, I should have been more positive. THe nylon did take the dye nicely.

·
Super Moderator
6,784 Posts
Interesting results alright. You could have left it the way it was in two-tone and claimed it's as a "designer" vest and accessories. lol

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like it is the same. RIT is who makes it. He used tan, I used black.

·
Premium Member
6,421 Posts
I think its fine. It happened to me as well, and I just went over the parts that didn't get coloured with black. In fact, you can even convert them for jungle use. Instead of black, use dark green or OD. The good thing is that the parts that were dyed were not that black, so if you weather those parts with light brown pastel chalk, you can also can pull off an OD effect. :D

·
(a.k.a. Allen)
1,219 Posts
I personally would have left it two-tone. I think it looked pretty darn cool.
Thanks for the heads up. I have had times when the stitching on a piece of 1/6th clothing wouldn't dye, but the rest of it did. So I know how frustrating it can be.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Lol, so thats why I can't find any coyote ammo pouches, HP's been dying and painting them all! Looks nice though, the black looks like it has a nice redorange hue to it. What are you bashing up HP?

I can see what Rebel Ape means, it kind of breaks up the pouch's shape. Kind of neat, though too many straight lines for nature in such a small space.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
I agree that the 2 tone looks kinda cool.Maybe for a pimped out vest or something.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts