One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a safe way to fade the course of clothing? I have a DID German WW2 Afrika Korps Captain Wilhelm figure and the Green u oform is too vibrant green. Is there a safe way to fade the colour a little. I'm assuming bleaching it will make the cloth brittle or weak. (Note the photo does t really show just how vibrant and strong the green is but this is the figure)
Footwear Camouflage Outerwear Military camouflage Sleeve

Face Head Military camouflage Military uniform Military person

·
Eagle Eye Joe
2,637 Posts
You can sand it with a fine grit paper but you have to be wary of the stitching. I've tried bleaching in the past with varying results....mostly bad so I won't even consider it anymore. Is the uniform cotton or blend? Then there's the stitching....there's a good chance it will turn pink with bleaching. That's a great looking figure BTW.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've often used bleach to good effect, but .... you need to make sure it is (1) a very weak solution, and (2) that you watch the process closely by frequently removing the clothing to make sure it's not damaging it.

A better and safer process is to try RIT dye remover. Take note that it may be that the undyed cloth of the green tunic is yellow and the green color is achieved by adding blue dye. So again, watch the process and make sure you're not removing too much color.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Jack's Smirking Revenge
310 Posts
Turpentine and a paint brush work very well. brush the whole thing in turpentine leave it hanging to dry and air out outside.
It it is dirty for a battle worn look.
You can then sand the contact areas. seams, elbows, knees cuffs, seat of pants, bottom seams of jackets things like that. with fine grit sandpaper.
When it is dry take some oil paints sienna and umber (i think burnt sienna and raw umber) mix some with a cup of mostly turpentine and brush it on the whole outfit again. You can dig some of the paint from the bottom of the cup and rub it into the contact areas. knees, elbows, seat of the pants or bottom of the jacket.

here are examples of the weathering I did to my sideshow endor uniforms.
I went back over it with a mixture of tan acrylic mixed with water and built up layers over the knees and parts where you see "dirt"
Camouflage Military camouflage Military uniform Ballistic vest Military person
Camouflage Military camouflage Plant Military uniform Marines
Camouflage Military camouflage Ballistic vest Military uniform Cargo pants
Wood Headgear Jacket Wrinkle Forest
Camouflage Military camouflage Vertebrate Marines Military person
Camouflage Military camouflage Wood Tree Helmet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts