One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i do not own a female phicen figure, but have been thinking i should buy one.
looking through the heads i could find they mostly seem to have very bland, flat and emotionless features. except the heads that have smiles, oh and a couple look moody like you just left the door open and a draught is whistling through it, haha
i have searched for phicen heads, but is there any other search terms i should use?
if anyone has any nice heads they would like to show me pics of i would be more than great full.
TIA
Sean

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Sadly, expressive faces are few and far between. Phicen is really no different then other companies, in that all of them, with few exceptions, make bland, lifeless faces (most particularly female faces). Kumik, as mentioned, makes quite a few smiling faces, but matching skin tones to Phicen is difficult. Just search for "female head sculpts" and you should get a variety of choices, but matching them to Phicen is often hit or miss. It's all trial and error, really.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UGH!
i just searched for "female head sculpts" on ebay and looked at 800 rubbish results! how disappointing!
800 vague and blank looking souless heads :( haha
i should also say i was looking for western heads not asian, not that i think it will make much difference.
thanks for confirming my fears you two :)

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Yeah... it's a bit of a let-down. There are a couple "Western" smiling faces, but they are both from Kumik, and they're not that great, and they are impossible to match to any body out there.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,855 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE . . .

PHICEN female figures are supposed to have expressions?

Really?

No one buys them just because they have very obvious robust 1:6 @$$ and t*ts wearing minuscule and/or provocative clothing that stands out in one's 1:6 collection of female figures?

What?

I'm just being blunt in stating the obvious that no one else will post let alone admit, but they'll likely agree in private and silence.

IMHO . . . some do have "expressions", but opinions vary.

G

·
Ive been saying this for years. They all look vaguely stoned or like shop window dummies. Triad made heads with interesting expressions, but were always criticised for it. Their "angry girls" series were mean and moody, Vanity was smirking, Helga was going to a funeral for her cat and the otaku 1.0 heads looked puzzled, like you'd asked them to do some complicated math.

The only others are the SSC Harley Quinn and catwoman. And of course the upcoming Hot toys Harley with the open mouth. BUt there you go again, Hot Toys was widely criticised for not making the head a "neutral".

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Harley Quinn head from HT is probably the most expressive Caucasian female head. It would be nice to have an open mouth, a smile, a frown, a sardonic expression, anything. Moving eyes would help, or repainting them looking away from the centre, that way you could tilt the head for a more expressive posture.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
It all depends on what you want to use your figure for. Generally, I find smiling faces very limiting in how I can use them. Neutral or serious expressions work much better for me if there is going to be only one version of a sculpt. I think DID had the right idea when they made one of their figures with no less than three sculpts with different expressions.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
Their "angry girls" series were mean and moody, Vanity was smirking, Helga was going to a funeral for her cat and the otaku 1.0 heads looked puzzled, like you'd asked them to do some complicated math.
XD

Don't forget the ones who look like someone's just farted next to them in an enclosed room!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Put me on the list of ppl clamoring for more expression! One of the best sculpts out there, IMO, is 'Angry Shi' who unfortunately came pre-painted as a geisha. I was able to convince a forum member to repaint one for me, and he did a bang-up job. But Shi is Japanese, so it may not be suitable for what you want. I wanted a lead screamer for a punk band, so race or ethnicity was secondary to the proper look.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
It all depends on what you want to use your figure for. Generally, I find smiling faces very limiting in how I can use them. Neutral or serious expressions work much better for me if there is going to be only one version of a sculpt. I think DID had the right idea when they made one of their figures with no less than three sculpts with different expressions.
THIS :agree Which DiD had those 3 sculpts?

If DiD, DAM or somebody like that would design a solid mainstream sculpt that came in Normal / Happy / Angry versions, it would probably become the "go-to" default figure for all my photo ops and general displays. And I think it might sell extremely well, there's an opportunity there. Male and female versions please.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Put me on the list of ppl clamoring for more expression! One of the best sculpts out there, IMO, is 'Angry Shi' who unfortunately came pre-painted as a geisha. I was able to convince a forum member to repaint one for me, and he did a bang-up job. But Shi is Japanese, so it may not be suitable for what you want. I wanted a lead screamer for a punk band, so race or ethnicity was secondary to the proper look.
whoever did the repaint did a good job!
that looks nice!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I second that. But 3 heads would mean 3 times paid. Around $80,- to $100,- more for each figure including in addition to the neutral head one smiling head and one angry head?

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
I second that. But 3 heads would mean 3 times paid. Around $80,- to $100,- more for each figure including in addition to the neutral head one smiling head and one angry head?
I think you are greatly overestimating the costs/prices. Your reference point is probably the cost of buying a loose sculpt, but that's way off. Sculpts made to sell loose are a niche item. They're seldom done separately by major manufacturers and more often than not they require extra handmade work rather than the tooling they have at HT DAM etc. And as separate inventory items they attract huge overhead, have to be tracked, advertised, and promoted separately, etc. On the other hand you may notice that two head figures have become common where it's masked and unmasked, or something like that, and the price effect is no more than any other accessory. Take US Kimono Phicen for example, she comes with whiteface head plus normal head and is still as cheap or cheaper than most uni-headed Phicens. DiD Chicago Gangster II with young/old DeNiro heads was the same price, I believe, as the first single-headed DiD Chicago Gangster. Other examples.

Of course sometimes something else is going on. I think we've just learned the reason HT despite all protests only gave Harley the laughing head -- they're making Prisoner Harley with a neutral head and hoping we'll buy both. That's the way pricey way to get to multiple expressions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts