1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Eagle Eye Joe
2,579 Posts
That's the guy who used to have a site named Sovereign Studios. His figures are actually very nice. I have an Indy headscuplt and fedora he made me a few years ago and I still use them. However, it seems that lately he doesn't have the best reputation, at least here at OSW. Do a OSW search for Sovereign Studios and you should see alot of mixed results in dealing with him......

·
Français par le sang vers
798 Posts
I think most probably there are some collectors out there who would wanna have a piece of indy from everywhere..be it SS, medicom, toys mcoy, custom..

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Shawn from Sovereign is really super talented. not sure about what happened to his rep here but it used to be great. he also did a group buy at the Sideshow Freaks board for a Keaton Bats and like 20 went in and all happy.i also know that he was working out the problems w/ a couple that left him bad feedback here. it was talked about at the SF board. hell, his Indy stuff are really something to see. tiny hand made whips and the most accurate jacket i've ever seen. a few of us asked about getting an "INDY kit" made by him when the SS comes out lol. his sculpt might not be as nice as the SS but everything else on that eBay fig is worth the dough

·
Uber-Unteroffizier
1,546 Posts
All that stuff is made by him i believe, theres a review of the whole indy figure on michael crawfords site [[www.mwctoys.com ]
i used to stare at it for hours, that headsculpt looks pretty sub par though, specially when you compare it to the one in the review

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
I don't see why anyone would now either. The SS will kill the other collectible Indy's, you get a superior sculpt x2, all the accessories and you can't beat the price. I just wish it had come out when I was doing mine.

CHEERS!

·
Banned
392 Posts
The most accurate Indiana Jones figure is a subjective argument in its own right. Accuracy is in the eye of the beholder. Here are some photos to compare:

Medicom:

Toys McCoy:

Sideshow:

Sovereign Studios/Ebay Custom:

Here are images of the character:

Now, each figure has its strength and weaknesses. However, we can clearly see that price does not exactly equate with the best figure. The Medicom version sells on an average of $200 with shipping; it seems you would be paying more for their reputation than accuracy. Medicom should stick with anime-based figures, which is its forte. Refer to the RAH Alphonse Elric and you will see what I mean. The Toys McCoy version may be the Holy Grail of Indy figures, but for some it is an aluminum can in terms of accuracy. The Sideshow version may be the best in terms of overall accuracy, but the quality of this company's past figures have left a bad taste in collectors' mouths; there is a guilt by association. The custom version's strongest attributes are the accessories. I have yet to see a better whip or jacket. The ultimate Indiana Jones figure is a hybrid of the best elements from each of the aforementioned figures.

·
NM156
826 Posts
The sovereign studios one IMHO looks the best minus the sculpt, it looks scary realistic. Putting them all up front makes me see the SST one as more toylike or like some thing Hasbro would have done at around the 40.00 range.

·
Banned
392 Posts
The sovereign studios one IMHO looks the best minus the sculpt, it looks scary realistic. Putting them all up front makes me see the SST one as more toylike or like some thing Hasbro would have done at around the 40.00 range.
The head sculpt is the best element of the Sideshow Indy, which is a departure from the company's initial trend of sculpting more or less composites of other movie characters. Sideshow's Han Solo figures are good examples of what I am referring to in terms of the trend. Check out the evolution:

A police sketch:

A strong likeness to Harrison Ford:

An Indy head sculpt worthy of higher end gear:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Not everbody is aware of these other figures or of 1/6 online store. Ebay may be their only option. Everyone who collect doesn't belong to online forums. And sometime people place more value in a OOAK custom piece then a mass produce one that everyone else is going to own.

I read that some people plan on replacing their custom Indy's that they or someone else work hard on once these factory Indy's come out. I'm of a mind that they will make a great addition to my Indy collection. But my custom Indy will always hold a special place in my collection.
JMHO

·
Français par le sang vers
798 Posts
From the pics, i think SS had the best looking sculpt whereas the Sovereign looks to me has better fitting jacket and the Toys Mcoy Indy had the most sentimental/Collectible value.

As for the Medicom Indy, it seemed to me that the eyes are sculpted in such a way that it looked slanted upwards, i guess you have to tilt the head down a bit for it to look straight and not forgetting if you want your Sideshow Hobbits to look taller, you can always place a Medicom Indy next to it... :)

I have already secured the SS exclusive indy, had the toys mcoy indy long ago and if HT ever come out, will get it too but definitely giving the medicom indy a MISS.

To each his own.. :)

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
The SS one is on the money for the money and if the Medicom was the same size then it'd be the best, but, as we all know, RAH bodies are notoriously short and the finished figure looks underscale.

CHEERS!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts