One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
GETCHA PULL!!!
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(18 May)--Well, this is a new project for me. It actually stemmed from two different projects. It started out as a Heavy Metal-type bash. Some kind of futuristic scavenger/mercenary theme. Then it turned into a futuristic Russian cosmonaut/combatant weird deal. After finishing the helmet, which at the time was just the skull cap w/ crude earphones from a DML german tanker headset, I sat back and looked at it for a moment. I then looked at my F4 jock. Then at my Star Wars shelf.
DING!! I'll make an A-Wing pilot!! So out came an old DML modern pilot helmet and the Dremel cutting wheel. Some minor tweaks to the existing cloth helmet, a custom chin strap and athletic tape pad ribs and this is what turned out:

(19 May)--The paint ops went pretty well, I think. The weathering was a pain in the arse. I did a base coat w/ the primary color, then applied random patches of salt after the paint dried. When the water evaporated I masked off the target areas for the second color and airbrushed them. When that paint dried I flaked the salt away w/ a hobby knife and lightly sanded the entire helmet w/ fine steel wool. Add some blackwash and rustall and voila.

The markings are from an old AMT/ERTL pod racer model decal set. Once applied, I picked at them w/ a knife to give the appearance of paint chipping. The HS was repainted, though the eyes seemed to turn out looking the same as the original DML paint--lol. I think it looks a little less cartoony, though.

·
Jawa
1,593 Posts
Wow! That A-Wing pilot's helmet looks AWESOME! I don't think I've ever seen a 1/6 scale A-Wing pilot - I don't think I've seen many 3 3/4" scale A-Wing pilots either. The paint apps and decals look fantastic.

I can't wait to see the completed version! Keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.