One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be nice if Soldier Story's distributor got their collective .... together and stopped with this shipping of figures in plastic bags. I was the unfortunate recipient of one of these today (was supposed to be boxed) and they are packed with complete disregard for the product, with everything tossed in together banging around. Of course this resulted in several pieces being damaged.

Yes its unfortunate you've had problems with customs etc but get your crap together before sending product to your retailers. There are other distributors who have addressed this issue completely and you don't see their product being sold in such a disgraceful fashion. How you get product into the US is your choice, but make sure when you send it to your retailers the product is complete and undamaged. Transferring the responsibility of QA to your retailer for your issues is irresponsible.

To anyone looking at stock at retailers packaged like this I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

·
IMOK
1,023 Posts
This happened right after the big mess with SS and the customs authorities. All the releases, including DAMTOYS, came in plastic bags or all white boxes. I was looking forward to the Kuwait figure for months but when *Monkey Depot finally had them they said that it would ship in bags! I refused to buy it all together. The one SS figure I have purchased recently was the JTAC figure which I ordered from Asia with fear that it too would be in plastic baggies. Why pay all that money if you are not getting the ART of the box set? I too would be a little mad!

*Nothing against Monkey Depot... they are awesome!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adam, can you take a picture of what you mean? I've been under a rock and so the baggies is news to me.
Sure thing. Scar broken, helmet broken, a few small accessories dinged. Head sculpt bare with no protection.

At least the bag was brand name.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*Nothing against Monkey Depot... they are awesome!
Emphasizing this point. It puts the retailer in a bad position, sort of like telling the retailer the product is in and ready to ship and to submit payment, then it arrives some 70+ days later. Great way to put the retailer behind the 8 ball.

Notice how DAM wasn't delayed for months and was packaged properly, albeit in a plain box (now shipping with full artwork?).

I get that dealing with customs is not easy, but when you've had many months to work on the issue, shipping product out like this to retailers is a joke.

·
the bearded devil
2,317 Posts
For what its worth I actually got a Flagset MARSOC from Monkey Depot, as a xmas present, that was supposed to be shipped in bags. To my surprise they actually shipped in the foam tray of the boxset which was pretty awesome. So perhaps not all ship in bags?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For what its worth I actually got a Flagset MARSOC from Monkey Depot, as a xmas present, that was supposed to be shipped in bags. To my surprise they actually shipped in the foam tray of the boxset which was pretty awesome. So perhaps not all ship in bags?
Given the great customer service I've experienced with MD, it wouldn't surprise me if they are taking it upon themselves to do that, or perhaps the Flagset (different distributor) distributor is providing them. Of course if they are shipping to the retailer bagged, it doesn't help the retailer if the product arrives damaged.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I too have been getting very upset about this. I refuse to buy them if they're going to be in plastic bags. Why? Because as Brokensage said, if I have to pay the same price, I'm going to at least get the box (I don't care if I throw it away). At least the stuff will be secure and I don't feel like I've been ripped off because some of the cost goes into the box art.

Start shipping them in plain cardboard boxes and save us the money... I really don't care. Prices are getting out of control at $150 a piece with details and parts I'm never even going to see.

By the way, I should mention also that I recently received a broken SCAR from the same set in the mail from a retailer and now I know why.... Luckily mine was fixable with glue for the most part (although now I don't have a charging handle).

·
One Sixth Striker
998 Posts
Never knew they do that for shipping, plastic bag for shipping o_O... that's unbelievable...

That plastic bag is familiar though, I'm pretty sure that's the bag contains the PJ rescue system for PJ Type B

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
It's a crucial decision point for a company, when the customers and distributors are complaining of long delays, and customs has everyone bent over. Makes for a big break in the profits, and maddening disruptions of schedules.
Taking a "plastic bag" approach is NOT the answer. It's a "What the hell were we thinking?" moment for Soldier Story, as they see years of trust sliding away.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The US Customs trouble was enough to make me nearly pull the pin on keeping on with the hobby.
In the past, I had to wait for my sets to pass through US Customs prior to being dispatched to then pass Australian Customs. This meant greater delay and expense than the average US modeller.
I would be livid if I was sent sets that looked like that.
Paying a premium price for an exclusive, which is then sent unsecured in a plastic bag.
Apart from being months late, it really is two fingers up.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,918 Posts
I realize I’m preaching to the choir here, but once any business breaks the trust between it and a customer, the business relationship is irrevocably damaged and/or rebuilding the trust will be difficult if not impossible.

I’ve seen it (not just within our hobby) over the years, but also seen it in other businesses first hand.

Nowadays given the consumer mind set especially for a focused & niche business/hobby like ours we as collectors/customers must not simply stay idle is accepting any less from 1:6 manufacturers like Soldier Story considering how much $ is being spent. For those who are die hard overzealous defenders & supporters of Soldier Story and are fine with what you paid for shipping in a plastic bag and damaged, then be happy because there are others who are not.

Nothing justifies stupid @ $ $ decision Soldier Story made. I’ve witnessed the same type of stupid @ $ $ business decision by another 1:6 manufacturer a few years and it was one of many bad decision that lead to their demise and loss of collector/customer confidence & respect for them as a brand name regardless of how they choose to ignore or spin it nowadays. They’re pretty much a pariah in the hobby.

From what I’m reading I guess Soldier Story is willing to gamble & risk their brand name in the apparent short terms with pissed off customers due to their cheap @ $ $ execution, but then again if collectors/customers like us continue to buy regardless of the plastic bag fiasco, then that only emboldens them because they know they’re still getting $ from collectors/customers like us.

·
12,918 Posts
If any of you are inclined and that upset about the plastic bags fiasco, then you certainly have the opportunity/option to contact Soldier Story with his displeasure as collector/customer.

http://soldierstory-toys.com/contact.asp

I honestly don't know how responsive they are, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

·
12,918 Posts
As for DAM, they have not resorted to plastic bags asides from the plain white box instance from late last year.

If anyone is inclined, then you may want to contact DAM to let your concerns be heard should they even remotely consider utilizing white boxes and/or plastic bags somewhere down the line due to whatever problems with customs.

http://www.damtoys.com/contact/

Quite frankly, if I was DAM I would be using Soldier Story's utter failure to my advantage to in promoting the DAM brand as well as generate some good karma with collectors/customers.

Another company's failure is another company's opportunity/gain. After all these years, I'm still amazed at how the Asian business culture/mindset still can't comprehend the nuances of certain American/Western business practices when it comes to marketing & promotion asides from copying & mass producing goods at cheaper prices.

·
Rogue Trader
1,263 Posts
To be honest, if it's a choice between a plain white box or a plastic bag, I'll take the plain white box. In most cases the box is going to end up in the bin, as long as the parts inside are secure and safe, why do I care if there is box art or not.

I get the point that somewhere in the price, the cost of the box art is potentially wrapped up in the overal cost of the figure, but I have no idea what the cost breakdown is, so I take the price as a cost of entry.

·
Procastinatus Excelentus
1,226 Posts
To be honest, if it's a choice between a plain white box or a plastic bag, I'll take the plain white box. In most cases the box is going to end up in the bin, as long as the parts inside are secure and safe, why do I care if there is box art or not.

I get the point that somewhere in the price, the cost of the box art is potentially wrapped up in the overal cost of the figure, but I have no idea what the cost breakdown is, so I take the price as a cost of entry.
Boxes are cheap, like.. extremly cheap to order in volume.

The fact that they just used plastic bags speaks very badly of SS, who'm i considered TOP manufacturers, and I think this is a very bad miss-step of them.

Guys, Customs has been wrecking HAVOC amongst many buisness, from the Airsoft comunity to the Car comunity.

Be thankfull that those toys weren't wrecked properly like the defenders comming in from the UK:

http://jalopnik.com/feds-publicly-execute-illegal-land-rover-in-baltimore-1150362156

After all, the copyright issue would have ment the item's destruction (like fake Nikes, Oakleys, etc.)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts