One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Sideshow, we are still 3 figures away from completing the Fellowship. Don't leave us out in the cold.

I really hope they continue this line until at least Merry, Pip and Gimli are released. But considering that they still have stocks of Frodo and Sam, I am not too hopeful because business decisions often over-ride collectors' logic.

·
Registered
982 Posts
This is sad to hear. It would stink for them to not, at the least, produce Gimli. While I like Sideshow, and I respect the fact that it takes a long time to design, prototype, and manufacture a figure, they always seem to be so far "behind the curve" of a license’s popularity that the sales of their figures often suffer. Indiana Jones ATKOTCS (I am not writing that whole title out EVER!) has come and gone with only one figure, the last LOTR film came out five years ago and the fellowship still isn't complete, they completed the last of "main" characters from Buffy just last year (four years after the show went off the air), and so on. I know it has to be hard to co-ordinate these things, and the core collectors like us will buy the figures we want whenever they come out (even years later), but I can't help but feel that some of these lines would have sold even better, and would remain active for longer, if more of the most desirable figures began being released at the height of these licenses' popularity.

·
Super mega jedi ninja
1,510 Posts
Personally i will be holding off getting any of these figs until the whole fellowship is available, otherwise it would be a pain to have an incomplete collection, Sideshow needs to make completion of the fellowship an urgent priority if they wish to encourage bigger sales. After all, buying just one figure isnt enough, but not being able to complete a set is even worse.

·
Kitbash MacGyver
1,002 Posts
I honestly wasn't holding out much hope for a Merry or Pip, but was definitely counting on a Gimli. If Sideshow would maybe throw in an Uruk or fully kitted Gondorian trooper they might see the line pick up some sales again. 'Tis a shame if over.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Personally i will be holding off getting any of these figs until the whole fellowship is available, otherwise it would be a pain to have an incomplete collection, Sideshow needs to make completion of the fellowship an urgent priority if they wish to encourage bigger sales. After all, buying just one figure isnt enough, but not being able to complete a set is even worse.
You may find collecting the line difficult. Aragorn is near impossible to find, Legalos is out there, Boromier and Faramier are very hard to find...

I am very surprised to hear that Frodo and Sam are not selling well. I just got Sam in the mail last Friday - It s one of the best sets I have ever bought. I am ordering Frodo next, but may get another Sam (there is some sweet gear and parts).

I was just looking at the book Weapons and Tactics of LOTR. I would love it if SS did some of the soldiers from the films, in complete kit, but worried that if they did they would be in the $200 range.

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
SS hosed the LOTR series a long time ago
I remember wanting this series so much and then seeing Aragorn and Legolas I was totally turned off
Like with Star Wars (though they have a more loyal following) there have been too many misses with the LOTR line and like SS WWI/Western cowboy line just when they start getting it right they drop it
typical SS eneptitude

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SS hosed the LOTR series a long time ago
I remember wanting this series so much and then seeing Aragorn and Legolas I was totally turned off
Like with Star Wars (though they have a more loyal following) there have been too many misses with the LOTR line and like SS WWI/Western cowboy line just when they start getting it right they drop it
typical SS eneptitude
I'm agreeing with you. All the way back when I got Aragorn, and seen the differences in the paint job, I tried to make light and say it wasn't that bad. Then came Legolas, and Faramir. Boromir was good as well as the hobbits. Why is it that SS has trouble matching prototypes versus production but other companies like HT and bbi do not? Time between preorder and shipment is WAY to long. I've only recently started collecting HT so I don't know if its common practice, but the sets I have were only a few months between pre-order and recieving them. Oh well, more money for HT I guess.

·
The Plastic Castaway
1,493 Posts
I'm agreeing with you. All the way back when I got Aragorn, and seen the differences in the paint job, I tried to make light and say it wasn't that bad. Then came Legolas, and Faramir. Boromir was good as well as the hobbits. Why is it that SS has trouble matching prototypes versus production but other companies like HT and bbi do not? Time between preorder and shipment is WAY to long. I've only recently started collecting HT so I don't know if its common practice, but the sets I have were only a few months between pre-order and recieving them. Oh well, more money for HT I guess.
This is probably why they chose Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander as their first GI Joe figures. The masks mean they don't have to fail at painting the faces and once they have people hooked into buying them they'll bring out the same iffy face paint jobs they've been pushing out for years.

I just don't understand how they can't get the paint applications right after all these years. How is it that the Hobbits looked pretty darn good with their face paint applications and the Shawn Of The Dead figures looked so terrible? They both came out around the same time. It seems to me like they wash the sculpt too heavily or something. If they went for less shading and more flat finishes, it would go a long way towards fixing the problem.

And yes...their lead time stinks. They take forever to release something.

·
The Plastic Castaway
1,493 Posts
Yeah I was really hoping they'd put out a Gimli figure. I figured between the DiD Gimli figure I have and a Sideshow one in line with the new hobbit figures they did, I'd be able to put together a perfect Gimli. :)

Well, here's to hoping...

Sideshow if you happen to not do any more LOTR figures, please hand the license over to HT so they can do it right. Thanks. ;)

·
Welcome to my Life....
1,081 Posts
Maybe this thread should have had a different title, like "does anyone know if Sideshow is making More LOTR figures" or somthing similar, assuming is irrelevant at this point.
And to assume is to make an ASSuME......
Sideshow does have other obligations and has NOT said the line is done.
Hell Gandalf is has not even been released yet.
Yup sideshow needs to work on a few things but i would dread seeing another company put out their so called superior products and charge us our left friggin kidney to afford it.
I can see HT charging upwards of 200 bucks for any figure in the LOTR line, and that would be BS.....

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is a little like the boy who cried "wolf"
I don't think throwing red flags up is helping the situation. :sadshake

·
Eagle Eye Joe
2,636 Posts
I doubt the line is dead....they haven't even made a Gimli or Golem. Anyway, I just sent a message to SST to see if the line is still going, on the backburner, or gone for good. SST has a 2 day minimum on replies to questions so I will let you guys know what they say, if anything, about this situation.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'd actually be okay with this. I don't really need Pipin and Merry and Toy Biz did a really good Gimli (and a Ring Wraith that's perfectly acceptable for that matter) that fits fine with the line.

Honestly, it'd be relief to have a line end with all the stuff that's coming out.

·
Eagle Eye Joe
2,636 Posts
Ok, here is a copy/paste of the response I got from Sideshow Toys:

"Dear Shannon,

Thank you for your e-mail to our Customer Service Department and for
your interest in our products.

Please be advised the Lord of the Rings 12-inch line is still active
and
we hope to have new figures to offer in the near future.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Jennifer Bigham
Customer Service"

Looks like we can breathe a sigh of relief on this subject.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.