·
Visit Echo Base Toys www.echobasetoys.com
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

We're having another BBQ this month.

April 27th, Sunday

All are welcome to join us.

Bring your figures that you are working on to show off.

Come on out to hang out with fellow collectors.

Catch up with some old friends.

Starts at 12:00

The only caveat that I request is that there is no selling permitted now at the BBQs. In the past it's been pretty quiet and low key but the last BBQwas more like a swap meet/flea market and that is not the intention of the BBQ. There were more people bring stuff to sell than bringing stuff to show off and that was never the intention of the BBQs. If you are caught selling stuff at the BBQ, you will be asked to leave and not be allowed to attending any future EBT events. I hate to be extreme, but that's the way it is. If you have a problem with this I'm sorry but you can email me for more specifics about this. My email is [email protected].

I still hope to see people there. If you've been to one of the BBQs, you know how it is.

Give me a shout out so I know what to expect in terms of attendance.

Hope to see you there on April 27th.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Me, me, meeee.

The decision makes perfect sense. While in the past folks mainly just tried the low-key unloading of loose stuff or trading etc., the idea of setting up shop outside the store is abusing the privilege.

While I enjoy finger-banging my way through somebody's box of loose items, I much prefer taking advantage of good company and delicious feedery. For that opportunity, I think showing some love inside the shop for our hosts should be a no-brainer.

Love these get-togethers. Loves me some EBT.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Awh, wish I could go. Apparently it's as easy as hopping on Interstate-10 and driving due west on it for 22 hours without stopping..

I also can see why this decision had to be made, and hope everyone goes to have fun and enjoy good company and share some cool figurations.

Look forward to Dok Von Evil's and other's always uber great photos of the festivities. :)

·
God Bless America
1,529 Posts
Good call, Tung. Nip this thing in the bud. It was starting to look like a show rather than a get-together. Sad, but it had to be done.

A collector looking to dump a small box of spare/unwanted parts without thought of profit was one thing, and ok, IMHO. It's something that was present since the first BBQ.
But at the last one, some DEALER showed up, abusing EBT's generosity by using 2-3 FREE tables to sell and not displaying anything.

So there you go, guys. Don't bring anything to sell, freebies only! ;)

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
i'll be there. Good idea Tung. I don't have anything to sell anyways. I have a ride out there. I'll be the fat kid in the SS camo with "FJ" boots.

·
What can I make today?
682 Posts
Ah dang it. I'm going to a charity car show to raise money for the families of LAPD SWAT officers Randal Simmons & James Veenstra. It ends at 1pm so maybe I'll just be a little late.

If anyone's interested in something to do before the BBQ, here's the site. Should be lots of personally owned exotics and classics as well as a strong LAPD presence. www.motor4toys.com. We're not listed, but Sideshow will be donating 1:1 busts of: Termintator Endoskull, Spider Man and Frankenstein for the raffle or auction.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Tung! ;)

·
Speed Thrills
3,997 Posts
I'll be there friend...I look forward to these. Tips, techniques, good people and good food... the Swaping and trading is equally as rewarding.. Besides anything you need to purchase can be found just 20 feet from the BBQ bit... That is if Casey[Vapor360]hasn't bought it all.....LOL,LOL...

G

·
LOL..I'm gonna make it and see all my good buddies and enjoy some good food cooked up by the Tung and just relax. No worries Keith I'm not gonna buy anything..lol

·
Visit Echo Base Toys www.echobasetoys.com
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Guys,

EBT is not trying to single anyone out. Those that were or have been abusing the selling chances do not need to "out" themselves. I am not blaming any one individual but rather the whole attitude about selling at the BBQs

Like I said in the first post, the atmoshere in the last couple of BBQs has been getting more and more like a "joe show" with more people bring stuff to unload. I looked around the whole BBQ and there were more people with bins and boxes on and under the tables than projects and figures that they were showing off. Selling was never the intent of the BBQ only displaying figures. At first is was low keyed about selling some stuff and usually people asked me first for permission because EBT is hosting the BBQ, but more and more people were bring stuff to sell. I feel it's better to stop it now then for it to get total out of control and ending the BBQs. I would rather not end the BBQs because it's a great time to see people I have not seen in a while and check out their figures.

Like I said, there is no one in particular that caused this decision, it's more the atmosphere/attitude that I and trying to control.

Again, all are welcome to the BBQ. It's always been our attitude that it's an EBT customer appreciation day. :)

See you guys on the 27th!

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the record, anyone (especially Tung) who is wanting to check out my figure, I'll just reassure you all that it's still lean, shaven (mostly) and although a bit broke-down isn't too bad for an older dude.

In this case, I think the best idea is to read Tung's latest post and take it all as a collective lumping of sellers vs visitorers. The BBQs are meant for fun and friendship amongst those wanting to show up, and I'd hate to see any of that lost over what is looking more and more like a misunderstanding.

Let's see how this current plan works out. It's quite possible that somewhere later on there might be ways for guys who have a wooden fence dio or other handmade item to possibly make a deal in the parking lot. I don't see how EBT would even be against that as much as wanting to see the dio themselves. There are few dealers out there (The biggies certainly can be included in the small count here) that support the hobby and it's members as much as EBT does. I think trying to retain the concept of a BBQ over a swap meet really can't be argued by anyone.

I'd also like to openly state that I've (among others) been saying to the EBT crew that the growing sales area outside was going to turn into an issue down the road. So, this certainly wasn't a new idea nor one exclusive to EBT.

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
I have been to every EBT gathering accept one.
Let me state that again
I have been to every EBT gathering accept one and that was years ago shortly after my father passed
Now Nan and Tung are right
the last few shows have been more of a sponsored flea market than a gathering
yeah I have in the past sold stuff I had but I have always brought stuff to display
most of the time I had to fight for a table as others have been used to sell and not to display. I for one am happy this is happening. EBT gatherings have always been about friends, food, beer, and showing off your work not as a way to unload your unwanted stuff. Hey Nan and Tung if I havent said it before, and I have, you guys rock and thanks for all you do.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts