One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Wild Bunch Customs
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been a member here since 2004, and collecting 1/6 since the GIJOE Hall of Fame line was introduced in the early 1990s. Until now, I've been lucky to have never been scammed.

Recently, I sold my first two items on eBay. The first item, non-1/6, went off without a hitch.

My second sale didn't go as well.

The figure was purchased by eBay user "babygq14". Firstly, the member took a week to send payment, and when contacted cited the bank holding up the money. No problem, I was understanding, things happen. And being that I am new to the eBay selling experience, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I received the payment and shipped.

Well, the buyer then opened a claim, unbelievably stating that I sent him a sealed box, with nothing inside but bubble wrap. This was not the case. In fact, I brought the item loose to a shipping store, where it was placed in a box in front of me, and packaged and prepared for UPS pick up.

I've since been in touch with the man who did this, who happens to be the store owner, and he's corroborated my story and is willing to provide such details to whomever will require. He also has the UPS ticket with the weight showing it was not in fact an "empty box". Note that the buyer did not claim it was damaged, just that I did not package an item inside.

I responded to him, resulting in him getting defensive. I've been in touch with eBay and they are working with me to solve this.

So, I wanted to give a heads-up to any other potential buyers/seller to beware getting scammed by this user.

Any helpful advice is appreciated, as I do not want ANYONE, myself especially, nor eBay to have to pay any money towards this person, considering they did receive the item.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
That individual is a well known scammer that has been ripping off multiple artist's work with recasts, so it comes as little surprise he's also trying to rip off sellers.

Perhaps you can point ebay/paypal to threads like the below as evidence of the character of this individual. Do a bit more digging on sideshowfreaks and I'm sure you'll find much more on this lowlife.

Always escalate with paypal/ebay above the line level person you are talking to, as there are some good people working there at a supervisory level.

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?68416-Trevor-Grove-s-Firefly-Sculpts/page344&p=4922203#post4922203

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Halloweens-Michael-Myers-1-6-Scale-Blank-Head-Sculpt-The-Shape-Kirk-/151190209832

Hi everyone,

I've been a member here since 2004, and collecting 1/6 since the GIJOE Hall of Fame line was introduced in the early 1990s. Until now, I've been lucky to have never been scammed.

Recently, I sold my first two items on eBay. The first item, non-1/6, went off without a hitch.

My second sale didn't go as well.

The figure was purchased by eBay user "babygq14". Firstly, the member took a week to send payment, and when contacted cited the bank holding up the money. No problem, I was understanding, things happen. And being that I am new to the eBay selling experience, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I received the payment and shipped.

Well, the buyer then opened a claim, unbelievably stating that I sent him a sealed box, with nothing inside but bubble wrap. This was not the case. In fact, I brought the item loose to a shipping store, where it was placed in a box in front of me, and packaged and prepared for UPS pick up.

I've since been in touch with the man who did this, who happens to be the store owner, and he's corroborated my story and is willing to provide such details to whomever will require. He also has the UPS ticket with the weight showing it was not in fact an "empty box". Note that the buyer did not claim it was damaged, just that I did not package an item inside.

I responded to him, resulting in him getting defensive. I've been in touch with eBay and they are working with me to solve this.

So, I wanted to give a heads-up to any other potential buyers/seller to beware getting scammed by this user.

Any helpful advice is appreciated, as I do not want ANYONE, myself especially, nor eBay to have to pay any money towards this person, considering they did receive the item.

Thanks for reading.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Hey Boss,

That just sux.

Keep us posted on the outcome, please.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Sometimes searching the email address of the buyer on facebook, google may find something.
With all the different web e-mail accounts that you can get now (hotmail, yahoo, g-mail, etc) it probaly wouldn't make a difference to them...they'll just go get another one......

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
It sucks but thanks for this eBay "scammers" user ID, I went ahead and updated my
banned bidders block lists.
:thumb

G

·
I bought two items off him last year. The top of the head was a (fixable) mess, but I still gave him positive feedback for both items. I did state in his feedback about the head. He messaged me and offered to send another headsculpt for free if I changed my feedback comment. I agreed that I would, but he never responded again. He also gave me no feedback.

·
Super mega jedi ninja
1,510 Posts
Your receipt from the post office would state the weight of the box, thereby proving something more than bubble was inside. Gonna see about blocking too. Hope you get justice mate :)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Did a search on that ID on ebay, looks like this person could also be: babygx1

I'm already blocking babygq14, years ago ripped me off for a $50.00 item.
There's a thread about that and other scumbags you need to block on here
somewhere.

But I'm also blocking babygx1, both in CA and both simular accounts.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,929 Posts
If the scumbag is specifically targeting 1:6 sellers, then the scumbag must possibly be a known 1:6 collector within the hobby/community and quite frankly needs to be dealt with with extreme prejudice from a financial & legal perspective and outed for the piece of $%^& scumbag he is.

·
Wild Bunch Customs
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I've been collecting all this info and been passing along to EBay, however, after speaking to supervisors, etc.. it seems they would side in his favor being the buyer.

I was told they would contact him and have him submit a police report within ten days. However, I was warned that if his report states he received an empty box, they will automatically refund him and bill me ($600). I notified them of this pattern of scamming, and I was told something along the lines of "we'll include in our report, but since it wasn't through eBay....".

This is totally unacceptable to me that they would simply take his word, when I have the eyewitness from the store, the weight on the UPS ticket, the history of fraud, etc. I work hard for my money, and to have to give this guy my figure AND money is simply unacceptable.

·
Wild Bunch Customs
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the scumbag is specifically targeting 1:6 sellers, then the scumbag must possibly be a known 1:6 collector within the hobby/community and quite frankly needs to be dealt with with extreme prejudice from a financial & legal perspective and outed for the piece of $%^& scumbag he is.
I'm trying, friend. I've contacted UPS Fraud division, I've put in a claim with the FTC (with proved pointless, as they don't help individuals.....the best thing they said was for all the forum members to put in claims, which I'd never expect anyone to take the time to do, realistically).

This guy cannot be allowed to get away with this!

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,929 Posts
I'm trying, friend. I've contacted UPS Fraud division, I've put in a claim with the FTC (with proved pointless, as they don't help individuals.....the best thing they said was for all the forum members to put in claims, which I'd never expect anyone to take the time to do, realistically).

This guy cannot be allowed to get away with this!
--

Considered calling the local law enforcement and/or consulting an attorney (provided if you personally know of one who'll look into the manner pro bono)?

·
Registered
545 Posts
As AdamC stated, this guy babygq14, has long been a thorn in the Sideshow Freaks' side. There he went under the handle Q, he was banned for recasting, and harassing another member, then returned under the handle CHAPIN, and was quickly banned again, and recently resurfaced as Tom.jones314, and was quickly banned.

He recasts tons of heads from WGP, Rainman, iminime, Rocco/Sculptor, Trevor Grove and others. Some at SSF have tried to impede his selling activities by reporting him to eBay under the "selling counterfeit goods" category, with no result. It would be interesting if this case was ultimately his undoing. Seeing how desperate he is for positive feedback, it's a bit surprising he would be so bold as to pull the ol' "You sent me an empty box" buyer scam.

It's somewhat odd that OSW hasn't seen any new members register today, and post in this thread, defending babygq14, as that was his MO whenever people would bring up Q at Sideshow Freaks. He must know this forum exists.

In other words, block him from your eBay list, do not buy from him or sell to him. But it would appear most already have.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
If it was insured, you certainly wouldn't want to mention any potential fraud on the part of the buyer, as the insurer would likely invalidate the claim straight away.

Regardless of the buyer's complaint, if insured, its best to pursue the insurance claim as lost/stolen/damaged etc. Ebay will generally allow time for an insurance claim to be initiated depending on the content/tone of the communication from the seller.

It's a tough one as the police will likely tell you its a civil matter, which is frustrating when you have an individual like this who is known to have stolen the work of others and been banned from communities for it. It certainly does them no favors if they had a legitimate issue/complaint.

Did you insure the item? If so maybe that would help with the case and have the shipper go after him.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts