One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pre-ordered a HT Deathtrooper from a seller and then after they were released I saw it was in stock with another seller so I waited a while and then contacted my seller using the "Where's My Stuff question. I asked politely when they would be available and they cancelled the order and gave me a refund (which I didn't ask them to do) and now it seems I am banned from buying from them.

Did I do something wrong, i.e. would it have been better to use the question which is not about a specific item? Is there a penalty for the seller if they receive a message via this system? There seems to be no other way to contact them.

·
Registered
968 Posts
No matter how many rules and regulations
exist on eBay (or worse Amazon) there currently is no buying or selling etiquette. Buyers have all the power (because of corporate eBay/Amazon's reputation). Regardless, both are a very stiff, controlled business environment. Are there any buying/selling online options in your local community (letgo.com)? These types of online stores are better than both ebay and Amazon.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I pre-ordered a HT Deathtrooper from a seller and then after they were released I saw it was in stock with another seller so I waited a while and then contacted my seller using the "Where's My Stuff question. I asked politely when they would be available and they cancelled the order and gave me a refund (which I didn't ask them to do) and now it seems I am banned from buying from them.

Did I do something wrong, i.e. would it have been better to use the question which is not about a specific item? Is there a penalty for the seller if they receive a message via this system? There seems to be no other way to contact them.
There is no penalty associated with the message, and how you inquired was appropriate. The seller's preorder listing may have violated ebay polices on presales which require product to be shipped within 30 days from purchase. The seller likely already knows this and was either annoyed with another cancellation or wanted to pre-empt a claim. If they "cancel" the order without doing it through the ebay system by simply giving you a refund they would receive a seller defect, although I'm not sure how this works with older transactions. If you accept a cancellation request where they use the official cancellation mechanism, they receive no defect. Retailers will sometimes get annoyed as some see preorders as a low risk option to generate revenue/cash flow and will often sell at low margins, which can be a pain if they get a cancellation.

Inquiring about the status of a preorder is entirely reasonable, although I would strongly suggest preordering through a dealer that only requires a deposit or bills on shipment rather than preordering anything through ebay. The release windows are often long enough that you can fall outside of paypal's 180 day protection limit which can lead to more jumping through hoops in the future should something go amiss. Unfortunately it would seem that you found a dealer that doesn't believe in observing basic etiquette or following marketplace rules. You shouldn't feel like you have done anything wrong.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I apologize if I was insensitive to your situation. But when you're done with those "tactical HO" websites, you're done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no penalty associated with the message, and how you inquired was appropriate. The seller's preorder listing may have violated ebay polices on presales which require product to be shipped within 30 days from purchase. The seller likely already knows this and was either annoyed with another cancellation or wanted to pre-empt a claim. If they "cancel" the order without doing it through the ebay system by simply giving you a refund they would receive a seller defect, although I'm not sure how this works with older transactions. If you accept a cancellation request where they use the official cancellation mechanism, they receive no defect. Retailers will sometimes get annoyed as some see preorders as a low risk option to generate revenue/cash flow and will often sell at low margins, which can be a pain if they get a cancellation.

Inquiring about the status of a preorder is entirely reasonable, although I would strongly suggest preordering through a dealer that only requires a deposit or bills on shipment rather than preordering anything through ebay. The release windows are often long enough that you can fall outside of paypal's 180 day protection limit which can lead to more jumping through hoops in the future should something go amiss. Unfortunately it would seem that you found a dealer that doesn't believe in observing basic etiquette or following marketplace rules. You shouldn't feel like you have done anything wrong.
Adam, thanks very much. I have given up pre-ordering stuff because of the long delays and my experience with this seller. I wondered if I had broken an unspoken rule and should have contacted them some other way so thanks for reassuring me about that!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I've been an eBay shopper for many years, mostly for 1/6th items. I had a problem with one seller over a small transaction, which was resolved quickly. I have to admit, I've never done any preorders there, and very rarely even with sites I trust. I realize it's a necessary part of doing business in the hobby, but I avoid it.

I found the underside of eBay when I tried to buy software. Those sellers make the worst 1/6th stores look like saints.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've been an eBay shopper for many years, mostly for 1/6th items. I had a problem with one seller over a small transaction, which was resolved quickly. I have to admit, I've never done any preorders there, and very rarely even with sites I trust. I realize it's a necessary part of doing business in the hobby, but I avoid it.

I found the underside of eBay when I tried to buy software. Those sellers make the worst 1/6th stores look like saints.
Yeah I'd be scared to buy software on ebay. Bottom line: Ebay is great for certain 2nd hand market deals but even the best ebay deal is worthy of scrutiny.

·
eats 1:6 for breakfast
800 Posts

You didn't do anything wrong dude. Thats just some shadiness from the seller. hope youre able to get your figure from someone else.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I never preorder anything through ebay, but I think e-bay has better protection for buyer than when you preorder stuff directly with a webstore, but ebay prices are always higher.
however I have contacted sellers about not yet receiving my stuff, or when they send tracking ID but seems like they can't be tracked (unless by the seller themselves or maybe trackable only in chinese postal site, not sure)
anyway I always send a message/ question form and ask in my own words, rather than using "I have not received my stuff" form provided by e-bay, so far I've never encountered any negative reactions from many different vendors there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts