One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MUST STOP SPENDING ON 1/6
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my hands on the Easy & Simple ES18001 The Zombie Survivor set and although zombies/ civilians arent really my thing, i thought i would do up a review on it as i think i have reviewed almost every single ES release to date.

Similar packaging to the ES weapon sets. Long rectangular box. A black and white image of the figure takes center stage on both the front and back of the packaging.
Front

Back

Sides

Of course how can we forget the signature ES snowflake logo revealed upon removal of the slip cover.

Well this is all you get, Head, axe, bolt cutters, crowbar, revolver, G17 pistol, magazine , a sheet of duct tapebag, shirt (under the bag) , pants, and a pair of boots ( molded.. )

Lets jump right in with the equipment, starting with the pair of bolt cutters. As i just received the Soldier Story SS085 French Special Forces not too long ago, i will compare the ES bolt cutters with the SS version.

Im not sure if you can tell from the photo, but the red section just below the cutting head is slightly shiny, recreating a metallic texture, while the rest of the bolt cutter is matt. The bolt cutter head has slight weathering as well, good attention to detail, showing proper wear and tear of the cutting head with a simple weathering technique.

Like the SS bolt cutters, the ES version can function, opens and closes smoothly.

The fire axe is slightly weathered on the head as well. Neat. Nothing spectacular, i mean what can you expect from an axe ?It is sturdy though, i give you that. It isnt made of some cheap plastic. I guarantee your 1/6 figure will feel safe holding it.

Slight weathering on the axe head.

The crowbar is study as well.

Now for the Glock, I believe it is a G17, and i will compare it to the G17 that came with the Soldier Story STGCC Exclusive SEK figure.
LEFT = ES , Right = SS

Right off the bat you will notice a size difference, the ES version is a tad bigger than the SS version. Safety first, always unload your 1/6 firearms when photographing them. Both pistols slides can be racked back with the pistol barrel hopping up on both versions, similar to real life glocks ( i think ? ) .

In terms of detailing, here is where the SS version zooms ahead. The pictures below are from the ES version, if you want to check out the SS version, pictures of the G19 Pistol from the French Special Forces are located CLICK HERE Although it is a G19, the SS G17 is exactly the same as its G19 counterpart.

For the ES version,the wording is not that clear, although you can make out 17, Austria, 8X18 from left to right. The Glock Logo cannot be made out ( on the far left)

Made in Austria is a bit hard to make out clearly.

No Glock Logo here on the hand grip either, perhaps its a copyright thing ?

But here is where the ES version SHINES. The department of disassembling. The ES G17 can be "field stripped". The pistol slide can be removed totally, unlike the SS version. As far as i understand the SS version is incapable of being totally dismantled. The ES version can be very easily disassembled and put back together.

AND HERE WE HAVE IT ! On the G17 barrel , the Glock logo shows itself, hiding away like a little easter egg waiting to be found. So my question is, evident from the Glock Logo on the pistol barrell, where the wording is clear and crisp, and machining is fine, what happen to the wording on the exterior of the pistol ? It leaves me a bit puzzled as i know ES is capable of the fine machining present on the pistol barrel. Copyright issues perhaps ?

On to the second firearm included, the Python .357 Revolver. Nothing to rave about. The Python 357 wording is visible on the barrel. The cylinder can be popped open to the side. The bullets are NOT removable, it would have really been treat if they were removable. But i guess that is a bit too much to ask.

The boots are molded. I really would have liked to see some real cloth boots. I have not handled molded boots in ages. For what its worth, the molded boots are made of soft plastic, so i didnt have THAT MUCH of a trouble inserting feet into the boots.

Interestingly there are foam insoles glued onto the inside of the boots. I guess that makes up for it being molded?

On to the rest of the clothes, the scarf is made from a very soft and slightly elastic material.

The shirt is held together with very small clasps. Becareful with these, of course they are fragile. Sewing is fine, what i didnt like was an excess of thread showing from the sleeve , wrist opening. But something a pair of scissors will take care of easily.

What is a real treat and one of my favorite pieces of this accessories set is the pair of tan combat pants. The velcro sticks nicely and the material used is soft. The elastic section near the knees is recreated with a soft elastic material. Subtle weathering has been applied near the knees, ankles and ....

As far as i know, the ES rendition of the Crye Precision AirFlex combat knee pads is the best i have come across, they are really FLEX as you can tell from the picture below. I think they used a soft malleable rubber or rubber like material.

I think you can remove the AirFlex knee pads if you want to display him without the knee pads just like how some guys do in real life . I dint try it out, as i want to display him with the pads on.

The sling or courier bag is another very well made piece. All zippers are working, and there are a ton of compartments in the bag. Note: Map, notebook , Tool and pen are not included.

Even a section to put your 1/6 writing materials.

The sling buckles are covered with an elastic material. Not sure why , maybe its real life counterpart has that too, but it adds to the bag aesthetically.

Finally, the HEAD ! Honestly om not too experienced in examining heads, so i will just leave photos here, you can judge for yourself. I would say it looks good. Paint application is good and it looks the the character it supposed to be.

You also get a sheet of sticker, to use as duct tape, and a magazine. TINE.. yea we all know what that is supposed to be.

Well hello there

On the back, a ZERT advertisement. We know ES has teamed up with ZERT to produce the DEATHRIDGE FIGURE XP001, so in addition to the ZERT Nation ad on the back, there is an advertisement for the XP001 figure on the inside.

Dont forget to order yours !

·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All put together ! ( Apologies i really dont know how to tie a scarf )

Is that you Rick ?

Gathering supplies

With the Zombie Apocalypse and the lack of internet and its accompanying entertainment, our zombie survivor has to make do with more rudimentary forms of "entertainment"

Alright, thats enough, i had my share of fun with this Accessories Set. In my opinion, the really good pieces are the Combat pants and the bag. The rest is fine, above average. Some people might be frustrated that it does not come with a figure body. What i used is a knock off True Type body. It is due to the different body types you use, but for mine i noticed that the sleeves were too short for the knock off True Type, and his wrist pegs were exposed as well as the loose threads from the shirt wrist opening. This detracts from the aesthetics of the figures. Both can be solved rather easily, either by changing the body used, or giving him a watch to cover the exposed wrist pegs, and trimming the extra thread. The head comes together with a neck adapter. The ball joint on the neck adapater which extends up, connecting the head to the neck is loose ( On the one i have anyway). Not sure if this is a wide spread problem or an anomaly. It made posing a little hard as the loose joint made him look like he broke his neck with his head constantly looking down. I mitigated this by adding some blu tack into the ball joint, which helps.

Bottom line is, it is very interesting to see ES venture out of weapon sets , into Full Box Figures and Accessories Sets like these. I do hope ES will continue making weapon sets and explore other accessories sets, Gear sets perhaps ? :poke

Overall a good set to have, im really impressed by the clothing ES has put out. Considering this is their first attempt at clothing, i was not expecting too much, but what is included met and exceeded my expectations.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Great in depth review, General Sam! I really like how you examined each piece meticulously and compared pieces to other manufacturer's samples.
As someone who usually only buys loose parts it tends to be a roll of the dice so this is appreciated.
Great link to your review of the SS Glock19 as well, I'll have to hunt down one to go with my 1:1.
And the head looks great, better than some of it's competing WWZ counterparts.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Excellent review. I had no interest in this set, but I do appreciate a thorough photo review. And that is one of the best Brad sculpts I've seen.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The figure has a full beard and Jesus hair, so he looks a lot like every guy you see on a red carpet these days.....could be Brad Pitt, could be Jared Leto, etc........but for a 3rd party figure I think the likeness is great. There's no denying who the character is supposed to be.

·
Lurker Extraordinaire
324 Posts
The bag looks to be a very accurate recreation of a 5.11 bag that I happen to own.

Thanks for the review!
I was just about to say that- it looks spot-on for the original version of the 5.11 Rush Delivery, even down to the pocket layout on the admin panel! I've been using a black one as my work bag for about 5 years now. I might have to try finding one of these loose and dying it for mini-me!

·
Lurker
333 Posts
The advertisement for other E&S products in the magazine is pretty meta...

Everything looks pretty good quality, though. I like the pants, the Glock is servicable, and the head is pretty good. I think they missed out on not including the rifle he used at the beginning of the movie. It would have been nice to see a classic wood stocked hunting rifle, with E&S quality.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Good review! This set looks better in hand than in the preview pics. I really like the Revolver, Boltcutters, crowbar and the bag. The rest of it is so-so. The fit of the clothes looks a little wonky.

·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good review! This set looks better in hand than in the preview pics. I really like the Revolver, Boltcutters, crowbar and the bag. The rest of it is so-so. The fit of the clothes looks a little wonky.
Might be due to the body i used.

·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well for the head sculpt, opinion seems to be split. I belong to the camp who thinks the head looks accurate enough. But well, as i mentioned, i dont know enough about heads, im all about guns. So the photos are there for you guys to judge for yourselves. :goodluck

Thanks for the review. By the way, what exactly is going on in this pic???

Eric

he is er.... reading

1 - 20 of 24 Posts