One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter I found a set of 3D printed 1/6th wagon wheels on ebay,they were for the Jonny Quest wagons from the 60-70's,when I got them I realized that the rims were way too thin so I built then up with some strip styrene,then I began looking for plans for a WW2 German wagon,I spent weeks online looking and never found anything,I found a lot of great pictures and learned a lot,I even bought a couple books on German horse drawn equipment which gave me more pictures but no plans,I did find a good drawing of a Studebaker farm wagon frame and looking at what I could see from all the pictures they looked pretty close so I started with that,I had dimensions from the books.
All of the frame wood was cut from 1 inch pine,the wood for the body I picked up at my local hardware store,everything else was either built from scratch or scrounged from my junk boxes,over the years I have tore down a bunch of old printers and other electronic items,they are full of interesting pieces that come in handy when you do this king of thing!
The Germans didn't have a driving brake on their wagons,it was just a parking brake,and on the basic wagons in operated on the front wheels, so the mechanism was mounted on the tongue, to make getting in and out easier it folded down to one side,so the brakes on this wagon not only work but they fold down out of the way!
The body parts are finished but not glued together yet, I plan on painting it the yellow/brown paint they used on later war equipment with a green camo pattern,I'm hoping I can find it in a spray can,if anyone knows the correct name and possibly a part number for a spray can I would really appreciate it.
I still have all the exterior details to build,brakets for the top and reenforcing straps on the body, but I'm hoping I can get some feedback on the paint so I can get it ordered,my nearest hobby shop in an hour and a half away! Quite a trip for just spray paint.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fire03! A couple more weeks and it should be done,I only get a couple hours a day but it's coming along!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm almost done,I fabricated the side supports and the top bow brackets and I have been working on the pieces that attach to the front axel and the front draw bar. Each of these pieces were built from 1/8 round stock and sheet metal,either silver soldered or brazed,the top bow brackets required building a form to shape the stirrups so I could attach the top bows.
I bought a supply of 2-56 and 4-40 screws and nuts so all the pieces are attached with close to scale fasteners.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Wood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I'm still trying to find a paint that is close to the German yellowish brown,after reading several articles I have decided that close is probably good enough because there were many different shades because it came from many different manufacturers!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I plan on putting a "canvas" top on the wagon and after looking at every picture I could find I realized I needed to make loops that are screwed to the sides of the wagon,the canvas has slots that go over these loops with a leather tab that goes through the loops to hold it all together, after trying several different methods of making the loops I found that bending fine wire over really small needle nose plies worked best,the loops are welded to a small metal plate which is screwed to the side of the wagon,for this plate I found a strip of thin styrene,I marked out the plates and used a soldering iron with a really small tip to burn the holes,I'll super glue them in place then cut off the extra wire and cut each plate.
Wood Coin Font Circle Gas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts