One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have a lot of Iron Men (or superheroes) and want to liven up your displays, read on. The Hot Toys Dynamic figure stand is a nice bit of kit, but at £40 ($60) is a bit much. Here's my cheap as chips alternative:

You will need:

Microphone shield (£4.75) Check your local vendors for an identical product.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360950738887?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Medium sized spring clamp
cabinet assembly block
M4 nut & bolt
2 x wood screws (1 optional)

Tools needed:

philips screwdriver
File
Scalpel
5mm drill (optional)

Take the microphone shield and undo the clamp assembly

Remove the 2 screws from the filter, then prise it apart to remove the neck

Take a cabinet assembly block (usually white, but i bought some black ones off ebay) and file down about 2mm off flat side as shown.

remove about 3mm off the ends.

Bevel the corners (apologies for pic)

Take the spring clamp and undo the bolt (save the nut & bolt for later)

Using the spring, push out the pins holding the orange clamp ends.

Using a scalpel, cut away some of the plastic, to allow a deeper curve (for a better grip around the figure).

Assemble using nuts and bolts as shown. You will need to source an additional identical nut & bolt, or simply remove it from another clamp. Tighten so that the jaws have a firm grip. The centre hole on the block should have the countersink on the jaw side.

Attach the clamp assembly onto the neck with a medium sized wood screw. A bit of trial and error is needed to determine the best size to use. Make sure it is a tight fit but can still rotate.

Screw the threaded end into a standard base. Use a blank one if you don't want to risk damaging your proper one. This also works with Sideshow's bases. It takes a bit of effort to get started, but is fine once the threads start to bite.

This is how it should look when removed.

Depending on the sturdiness required, the neck can be just screwed in or with some superglue added for strength (cannot be undone later). Alternatively, drill a 5mm hole into the base

Countersink the hole on the underside

Attach using another wood screw

Here are a few shots showing it in use.

What the hell!!!

As the base is relatively small, position the neck so that the mass of the figure is still centered, so is less likely to topple over. Also, as the jaws are not sprung, don't go putting any heavy figures on it. Don't blame me if your shiny new Iron Patriot decides to take a tumble.

This took me about 45mins to make one, but only because i was making it up as i went along, as well as taking pictures. I reckon you could knock up half a dozen of these in an hour and for the same cost as just one of the HT bases.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Brilliant! All your base are belong to us. :wink

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
I am wholly impressed.

This is why I choose to hang around here.

Fine brain at work, sir.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
The only correction I would make is that SF berets have a regulation chin strap, for when they fly.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Iron Patriot arrived today, so thought i would give it a tryout. I was just able to get it balanced, but it didn't feel very secure. This figure weighs 2-3 times what a typical figure would. I couldn't get it into a flying pose at all, as the clamp wasn't strong enough to resist turning when the figure was laid horizontally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts