One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.
Has anyone had any luck in dyeing the horizon blue sideshow french WWI uniforms into the american style khaki color used by the French in WWII? I have a spare set of the sideshow uniforms and I really want to do a WWII french project.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I tried to bleach the blue French uniform so I could dye it to a khaki colour but it wouldn't work. I eventually had to paint it the colour I wanted. I'm not sure how much the blue of the uniform will affect the khaki dye. You might end up with an unusual shade of khaki. It might be worth trying it on the under jacket that comes with the French uni.
An alternative might be to use the later war RMLE uni if you can get your hands on one. It's double breasted. I don't know if that's unsuitable for a WW2 French uniform.

Andy

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It theoretically might be useable because the french still had massive stores of the old style uniforms right up until the beginning of the war, but I really wanted to use the spare I had lying around

·
Jawa
1,593 Posts
I dyed Sideshow's WWI French Uniform black using RIT Dye. I only soaked it once but it came out very dark. I think if I had soaked it again it would have turned out better. It was my first time using dye. I'm not sure how changing the color from light blue to khaki will work though. I think it's easier to dye fabric into a darker color.

Here is a pic:

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
What would be really nice would be for someone to make a commercially available version. SST seem to be played out on legionnaires, and I figure DML won't hurry to add an infantryman to their WW2 French tanker.
Maybe DiD will follow on to their BEF venture, tho I think that one had some special backing. There's also Auggie at BGT, who's done French khaki tunic and trousers. Perhaps a WW2 and greatcoat may follow.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pukingdog said:
What would be really nice would be for someone to make a commercially available version. SST seem to be played out on legionnaires, and I figure DML won't hurry to add an infantryman to their WW2 French tanker.
Maybe DiD will follow on to their BEF venture, tho I think that one had some special backing. There's also Auggie at BGT, who's done French khaki tunic and trousers. Perhaps a WW2 and greatcoat may follow.
I saw the BGT stuff, and it looks great, but without the greatcoat it just seems lacking. I absolutely agree that there needs to be commercial version of a 1940 French Trooper. With the endless number of German troops made it just seems sad. The "serge" tanker was great, and I bought him, and I am working on a bicyclist using the serge uniform as a base (the helmet is very similar to what was used), but still, I would love to do an infantryman.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.