One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on this figure for a couple of weeks now. My wife refers to him as Gimpy Johnny. The name has kind of stuck. Here are a couple of pictures that show him dressed, nekkid, and standing next to a GIJoe. I have not had time to tailor any of his clothes so they are rather large.

Let me know what you think.

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
proportions look good - I have wanted to try something similar to several figures to add some realistic differences in height form figure to figure. Great idea - looking forward to seeing more.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Island--I actually glued the pieces together after cutting the DML body aprt but the joints seemed fragile to me. I am not an expert modeler so I used the "green stuff" to try to reinforce the joints/seems. It seems to be working.

After posting the picture on the Harry Potter book, I realized Harry is looking at the naked butt of my figure. And yes its a great book to read.

Sir Eaton Flipflop--I actually used the demensions some one posted here. It told how much to cut out of each area. I actually think I took too much out of the thighs but it looks OK with pants. Thanks for the comments.

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
It looks great - getting the right proportions must be the key. I think this is one of those must try projects. I was looking at a shelf of figures I have and starting to think that barring the head sculpts they all look like the same guy in different uni's. You could also add padding to add variety in the body shape.

Are you designing this to be a fantasy/sci-type of figure?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted to do a couple of sci-fi figures and this was going to be the first. But now that I have started to put him together a bunch of other ideas have come to mind. A modern mini-hitman or a modern mini-sidekick are a couple. The figure pictured with him is McChin and I have a couple of ideas for misadventures and Johnny might just be involved. I just need to get the picures taken.

On my Sci-Fi entry, I used polyfil to add muscles to the figure. Its easy to move the stuff into position and make it look like big muscles. I had a lot of fun with that figure too.

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Sounds like the beginning a whole world of bash possibilities. Thanks for the polyfil tips - I am anxious to try some new techniques for representing body types.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Big Dave -"I actually used the demensions some one posted here. It told how much to cut out of each area. I actually think I took too much out of the thighs but it looks OK with pants."

Cool, it is nice to see some one else try this. It does look like you took more out of the thighs than I did, but it all depends on how short you want the figure to be. I think one thing that would help you would be to cut the thigh closer to the swivel joint. This will allow the lower part of the thigh to be closer in diameter to the upper part. Another thing you can do is to use a dremel to reshape the limbs after you glue the parts back together. You can rough them out, so it makes it easier to add the muscles later on.
But like you said the cloths hide the limbs so the main thing is to get the overall height right.

Sir Eaton Flipflop - I listed the dimensions I cut out in this thread on the second page. They are just a starting point. Depending on the type of body you might want to play around with the amount that you remove.

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81933

·
Using 1/6th of my brain!
410 Posts
Little man is looking good

I think your figure looks really quite good. And in the dressed photos I think you have the makings for a really unusual and interesting "little dude with a 'tude". I know that is insensitive and I apologize, but all the best stories have unusual and different characters and a bad-ass small person would be a welcome addition to any collection.

As to your building method, with so many ways of achieving the same or similar result I don't think there is a "right or wrong". So long as everything stays together the way you want, it works! Personally, I hate "green stuff" but thats because in the late 1960s early 1970s I had to help fill little foil tubes with green stuff body putty for sale in my dad's hobby shop! Seven years old and getting high on fumes!:dizzy

I am "converting" HT bodies to be used as Gurkhas and I am shortening them using the method described by Tony Barton on the OSS forum.

I am probably not mentioning anything you have not all seen already but just in case, check out Tony Barton's "how-to" for Body Modification.
http://www.onesixscale.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19772

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
uramegak & gaiagear--Thanks for the comments. They are much apreciated.

Dave70b--Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I wanted to do something like this for a while but I did not know where to start. Your dimensions gave me a starting point and I kind of just ran with it. Again Thank You!

woodmanduc999s--I had never used "green stuff" on a figure like this before but I thought I would try it. I think it worked for what I was trying to do. I also think the clothes make the Little Dude. I was just playing the other day and I just ended up with that shirt and pants on him. I like it alot. Thanks.

·
Welcome to my Life....
1,081 Posts
Lookin good there gimpy Johnny
I went by Daves guidelines as well
for my Gimli, turned out great.
I think with the baggy clothes he looks more bad arse :)
Mr Potter does look the proctologist there though lol
Excellent work.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jello--Thank you for the comments and YES green stuff worked great. It was fun to do and now I am wondering how to arm him. I have a 3 day weekend coming so hopefully I can get him outside to take pictures. Plus my kids love to help me with those kind of projects.

·
Mobilis in mobili
690 Posts
Jello--Thank you for the comments and YES green stuff worked great. It was fun to do and now I am wondering how to arm him. I have a 3 day weekend coming so hopefully I can get him outside to take pictures. Plus my kids love to help me with those kind of projects.
That's so cool. I love hearing families getting together doing 'simple' things that brings them together, let alone hobby related. hehe. Just want to say, friend.

Your dwarf would be cool as a sniper. In WH40K's imperial guard, they have "Ratling snipers". basically hobbit snipers. your's would look so cool. heh.

Good luck with the project.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts