One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished painting several HS's and hands today and when I sprayed them with Testors Duull cote they began to turn white as they dried. What can I do to fix this. Very frustrating after spending a whole day painting them.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
That's is a problem with dullcote. I hav'nt seen anyway to fix that problem except cleaning it all off and starting all over. Next time try either Mr. Super clear or Vallejo acrylic matte varnish.

Paul

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Did you use spray can or airbrush?

I have a lot of frosting problems with the large glass bottled dull coat, no problems with the spray cans thus far?

Was it a cold / humid day (this can be the cause of problems)?

Are you sure the previous layers of paint were dry, it's best to wait 24 hours after painting before dullcoating.

Are you sure your sculpts were not dusty?

You can fix it by spraying a new coat of gloss varnish over the old varnish coat, i've had good luck with this method on warhammer figures.

A similar product is the dull coat from gunze sangyo or mr. collour this is my favorite mat varnish it gives the same flat finish as testors.

·
Registered
597 Posts
OH man, it looks like it wasn't shaken enough. I've had that problem occur once and its cause i wasn't paying attention and just shook it like nothing and sprayed. Not just did i spray away though, I believe i sprayed too much as well. Quick tip is to make sure you rigorously shake it and spray in a quick fan motion and make sure you don't over spray, cause you can always wait for the first coat to dry and then just fan on another coat. I feel your pain on this one, i had to strip it all over again and paint it, what a headache :-(

Chris

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dull-cote

Oh man this is not sounding good. I've been procrastinating painting these and then in a burst of excitement I did seven today. Three out of those seven are frosted, all the hands are bad.
Back to the ol drawing board I suppose.
This will be my last go round with Dull cote. :fit

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey Boogie... I've always had good luck with putting the Dullcote in a warm cup of water for awhile. I think Boot25 suggested that once. It does come out nice and even then. I've never seen it frost. I hate to hear your hard work was damaged.

·
Unabashed 5.11 Junky
3,866 Posts
Frosting's a bastard. The only thing I'd try other than removing it all over again, is trying to apply a layer of thinned down brush on lacquer on top, with the hopes that it would even it out and disguise it, and then re-spray with DC. I've never tried that though.

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Sorry to hear you had troubles, best of luck with salvaging your projects as well. I can definitely relate from having 1/6 finishing issues with the Dremel, regular paint, the Xacto, etc. So far my experience with Dulcote has not led to any mishaps ( thank God ) I have used it in several light coats, applied with a quick fanning motion - I think it's an airbrush technique I read about a while back, but seems to apply well to Dulcote. I agree with the above that shaking the can - even between spraying - and applying the Dulcote at a consistent temperature, in a moisture free environment can help. I have also placed spray cans ( although paint in this case ) in warm water to heat the paint to room temp. That seems to help with viscosity and dry time. Might be a good technique for the Dulcote as well. Again, best of luck with salvaging the stuff you worked so hard on.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frosted flakes

Well seems to be one option so tonight its a Acetone bath and later this week I'll start fresh, damn shame is the eyes where really looking good on these HS.
I guess a burst of inspiration can be shattered by a moment of forgetfulness.
Kinda like when you where a young man on that hot date, everything goes well and then you sheet it up :sadpace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.