One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Yeah, there's been some discussion of this regarding DML's sudden announcement and the qualities of this guy. For me, the headsculpt looks pretty good, and the helmet, uni, comms, pouches and new body armor are selling points.
Downsides? The horrific boots, and the apparent lack of Neo3 body.
The L86 has been replaced by the Minimi/SAW apparently, but a recent photo of some Irish Guards showed both in a squad. I figure that at minimum, the L86 might be the platform for conversion to an L85 w/UGL.

They're issuing gloved and bare hands, as well as an Irish guards beret (no pic yet of that). It'd have been a nice touch if they added a decent pair of goggles or ballistic eyewear.

·
AKA Silent G
637 Posts
DML is simply trying to garner a major purchase from people on the sole fact that the figure comes with Osprey Body Armor... which didn't exist with the British Forces in 2003 yet. Overall we should be happy that depending on sales of this figure, DML might get off their butts and make more Modern Military figures.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I suspect the LSW will be retained due to the MOD spending vast amounts of cash upgrading them to A2 along with the rifle - this process has only just been completed, so to ditch a weapon (albeit a crap one that has already had its primary function replaced by the minimi) would just seem too costly....

I know this has been done to death already, but this figure really looks poor. I am just as keen as the next Brit (or Brit collector for that matter) for an Osprey, but this looks weak at best and the other kit is just awful. I wish HT would get on the case and trump the Big Lizard....

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I gotta say that I was big on Dragon when I first started, but as I gained more knowledge they just SUCK. My local retailer hasnt ordered one, with the exception of Stan Wiley, for a while and is cancelling his account. These things just arent selling for him. They seem to go from extremely crappy and cheap, to decent, to really expensive and beyond what I would want to pay. I have a few boxed ones on the shelf that I may crack into for parts, but I have to say that they get very microscopic attention from me on EBay. It is just so unfortunate how far they have plunged.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The problem isn't their quality, the problem is their subject matter...they keep cranking out Germans after the market has now been saturated with Germans for going on 10 years.

Dragon will try to sell you a $45 dollar figure now with the selling point that the figure has "new, correctly sewn pockets for this year of manufacture" and so on.

The problem is, its hard to spend $45 dollars on a figure when you know it will need anohter $20 in spare parts (at least) just to be properly kitted out. And then, you may as well buy Hot Toys or BBI LE's because at least they come that way out of the box.

·
www.boy-toy.net/bbs
2,956 Posts

"Louis Fletcher" - British Army Irish Guards, Guards Division, Iraq 2003
Uniform:
- British Beret
- Para Helmet
- Desert DPM Helmet Cover
- Irish Guard Body Armour
- Desert DPM Jacket
- Desert DPM Trousers
- Desert Combat Boots

Equipment:
- 90' Pattern Ammunition Pouches
- 95' Webbing
- 90' Pattern Utility Pouch
- British Infantry Water Bottle
- Walkie-Talkie and Head Phone
- Watch
- Combat Knife Scabbard Pouch
- Walkie-Talkie Pouch
- Sun Glasses

Weapons:
- L86 Submachine Gun w/Sight Scope
- Infantry Combat Knife

Insignia:
- Irish Guard Beret Badge

Others:
- Men Hands with Gloves
- New Head Sculpture
- Clear Stand Mount

·
Registered
10 Posts
While there may certainly be some useful parts for some here, it appears that DML continues it's disturbing trend towards sub-par modern figures as a way of left-handedly tossing the modernists a bone to hush them.
We've seen it in the past, and this appears to be same-game.

However, I hardly see any justification in degrading Power Team or GIJOE, and thereby their admirers, by using reference to them as an insult. Pretty lame, as we're all in this together.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
A pretty poor effort all round, All the previous mistakes (well known so no excuses for such a front running company as DML) of AARON who this figure is an update of (Just change the Body armour and add a beret!
This is a Budget range figure at far from a budget price. A cynical using up of the left over stock more than a return to modern. Its pathetic for a company that trumpet themselves of Steps Ahead of the competition.
There is one highlight though; despite botching the year they at least resisted the temptation to name him as a private. I'll bet that the LSW is the same old L86 and NOT the A2 it should be for a 1st line combatant in the period Osprey was issued.
A very dissapointed
Spanner

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
While there may certainly be some useful parts for some here, it appears that DML continues it's disturbing trend towards sub-par modern figures as a way of left-handedly tossing the modernists a bone to hush them.
We've seen it in the past, and this appears to be same-game.

However, I hardly see any justification in degrading Power Team or GIJOE, and thereby their admirers, by using reference to them as an insult. Pretty lame, as we're all in this together.
Well, where did I said GI Joe is bad? I didn't. I like GI Joe. I start out with GI Joe when I got into this hobby 10~15 years ago. From GI Joe, I moved up to 21C. From 21C to DML. From DML to TS, ACE & HT. Each company made their stuff for different levels. GI Joe or 21C quality can not compare with higher quality and accuracy like ACE or HT figures. So, GI Joe "IS" in the lower level. I said DML dropping to GI Joe level. I meant DML after all this years, not only did not improved, but going backward. No insult indented for you and any Joe lovers. But, it's a free country. You can read it any way you see it.

Allen Tam

1 - 20 of 37 Posts