One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
That was Zen, This is Tao
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
I just got a Dragon 'Jim' from GSTG and his head was leaning to the right, so when I tried to adjust it the head came right off. I now have the head sculpt and the little bowl shaped adapter detached from the body. In the neck is a post with a spring at the bottom of which there is a disc that I would imagine fits inside the bowl adapter. Is this an easy fix or should I send it back to Ken?
Thank you, - KYG

·
Unabashed 5.11 Junky
3,866 Posts
Sounds like the neck is busted. Unless you want to jam the bowl full of epoxy putty, it's busted. If have a spare body, heat up the headsculpt with a hair drier or hot water, pop it off the post and mount it on a different bod.

There's another common problem with DML headsculpts to know as well: Zey all look like ze Germans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, it's not an easy fix, but it is doable.

That post with the screw does like you say and uses the spring tension to put pressure on the inside of your ball apparatus with that plate.

Trying to work the ball edges around that pressure plate can prove nerve wracking. I split the weld on the ball adapter with an exacto or similar heavy-bladed tool, slid both halves back into place, and superglue the two halves together before clamping tightly. A solvent that welds the plastic would be a better fix. Ensure that the glue doesn't act on the neck joint and any articulation itself. Once the HS is back on, that in itself holds the gluejoint securely.

You likely have a minor stress fracture issue in the ball section's flanges that caused the slippage. This really doesn't affect the integrity of the plastic even under rougher use. I have several figs that I've acquired with this problem (nearly always caused by trying to manipulate the HS without warming first) from others who were tossing them out, and none have ever given me trouble after the fix.

Me, I'd fix it. Others might send it back. Either way is cool.

Good luck.

·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's not an easy fix, but it is doable.

That post with the screw does like you say and uses the spring tension to put pressure on the inside of your ball apparatus with that plate.

Trying to work the ball edges around that pressure plate can prove nerve wracking. I split the weld on the ball adapter with an exacto or similar heavy-bladed tool, slid both halves back into place, and superglue the two halves together before clamping tightly. A solvent that welds the plastic would be a better fix. Ensure that the glue doesn't act on the neck joint and any articulation itself. Once the HS is back on, that in itself holds the gluejoint securely.

You likely have a minor stress fracture issue in the ball section's flanges that caused the slippage. This really doesn't affect the integrity of the plastic even under rougher use. I have several figs that I've acquired with this problem (nearly always caused by trying to manipulate the HS without warming first) from others who were tossing them out, and none have ever given me trouble after the fix.

Me, I'd fix it. Others might send it back. Either way is cool.

Good luck.
Yeah that is what I thought the fix would be, I'll give it a shot - after all, by the time I send it back and all that jazz - I could've fixed four of the things in that time. As you might be able to tell I don't do a lot of Dragon figures. In fact this is my first boxed purchase and despite the headlessness of the kit - it is very impressive when one compares what you pay for a Dragon vs. the big hitters. Thanks for the detailed response Gravy, it is appreciated immensely - this board rocks.
- KYG

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Super-easy fix. Happened to me, too.

Here's what I did--

Pop the head off the neck piece. Slipt the neck piece in half (where it's glued together).

Put the two neck parts on back together on the body where it would normally go and then hold it in place while you put the head back on the neck.

The head will hold the neck joint on the body and everything will be (almost) as good as new!!!

·
Premium Member
6,421 Posts
Killingyouguy: LG and John have already given you the solution. I thought I should add that since you mentioned that you don't tinker much with DML figures, I can kinda guess what happened that led to the mishap. Did you try to force the head back onto the neck piece without softening it? To prevent that from happening again, use a hairdryer to soften the sculpt in the future. Or you can dip it in boiling water (and it will pop right out). Then you can place it back onto the neckpiece properly. Hope I was of some help! :thumb

·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Killingyouguy: LG and John have already given you the solution. I thought I should add that since you mentioned that you don't tinker much with DML figures, I can kinda guess what happened that led to the mishap. Did you try to force the head back onto the neck piece without softening it? To prevent that from happening again, use a hairdryer to soften the sculpt in the future. Or you can dip it in boiling water (and it will pop right out). Then you can place it back onto the neckpiece properly. Hope I was of some help! :thumb
Actually Yujin, when I opened the box, his head was leaning over to the side quite substantially. I then tried to right his head and that was when it popped right off. I really didn't muscle it at all, just to give you an idea I have a ton of HT stuff and the only thing I ever broke was the Scar Pred staff and that was during a move. I will be more careful now though with Dragon heads :D

Stinny, thanks for the further information and thanks as well to Roger and Pivot for adding your two cents. Have a great weekend folks.
- KYG

·
Premium Member
6,421 Posts
Actually Yujin, when I opened the box, his head was leaning over to the side quite substantially. I then tried to right his head and that was when it popped right off. I really didn't muscle it at all, just to give you an idea I have a ton of HT stuff and the only thing I ever broke was the Scar Pred staff and that was during a move. I will be more careful now though with Dragon heads :D
Ah, then it probably is a manufacturing defect then. But at least it's one that can be rectified. :D

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
At least an issue like this can be rectified.

I was going to use a Neo3 for my latest bash, but, the opening in the neck of the custom head I was using wasn't quite deep enough and I didn't have a Dremel. So, I decided to saw the top of the neckpost off to better accommodate the new head. BIG MISTAKE!! Neo3 necks aren't sprung like the old ones and they have a retaining piece at the top of the post where the spring collet on the old ones was. I of course sawed off this retaining piece which made the neck go floppy, thus rendering one of my best Neo3's useless! Nice one - NOT!!!

You have been warned, NEVER saw a Neo3 neckpost

CHEERS!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.