One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

DID recently announced 1:4 ad 1:6 offerings of Roger Moore licensed from the estate of Roger Moore.

What an absolute failure indeed. DID's 1:6 license needs to be revoked.

·
Respect, Honour, Courage
2,909 Posts
hmm I can see him in there, but yes, it's not Sir Roger. Also, wonder how this will mess with Star Ace licensing they have from the Cubboli estate for the Bond license.

Sculpt needs improvement though

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Star Ace!? First I've heard, I know Big Chief have the license, was that who you meant?

Such an irony here when they can often do great unlicensed heads, but, they drop the ball so badly when they get the chance to do a licensed one. Could this have anything to do with the input from Silver Fox, never heard of them.

CHEERS!

·
12,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WAIT A MINUTE?!

I thought Big Chief have the official 007 Bond License?

Did something change/happen where now Star ACE have the license?

So many <CENSORED>ing licensing deals it's confusing.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
It looks like the younger Roger Moore, but something's a bit off - maybe he's a bit too bull-necked. The rather neutral expression might be another factor, Mr Moore usually had an impish, or devilish look.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE?!

I thought Big Chief have the official 007 Bond License?

Did something change/happen where now Star ACE have the license?

So many <CENSORED>ing licensing deals it's confusing.
AFAIK it's Big Chief that has the license. Remember that DiD previously did the unlicensed "MI6 Agent" Daniel Craig and then the matching Pierce Brosnan labelled "Wild Toys" which were both before Big Chief got the license. Third time around, it's probably because Big Chief now has an official Bond license that this time, DiD wants the protection of sheltering itself under a Roger Moore license. And the figure is fairly Roger Moore specific, with a gun that's not typical for Bond, and specifically a Moore outfit rather than the previous tuxedos.

Ironic that the licensed Roger Moore figure has a much less accurate sculpt than they did for the unlicensed Craig and Brosnan.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Sorry!! Got mixed up on my licenses as was viewing Star Ace at the time lol...sorry for confusion
If only it were so... That the Bond license had flown, from those *** at Big Chief over to Star Ace, would have been such good news.

·
12,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry!! Got mixed up on my licenses as was viewing Star Ace at the time lol...sorry for confusion
--

SO . . .

I guess the gasoline, rope, and pitchforks need to be put away then.

·
Batmanila
850 Posts
DID have outstanding celebrity sculpts for their WW2 line. I wonder what happened here.

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
It looks like the younger Roger Moore, but something's a bit off - maybe he's a bit too bull-necked. The rather neutral expression might be another factor, Mr Moore usually had an impish, or devilish look.
Roger Moore had a very long career and his appearance changed a lot over the years of what many people consider his "young" period. Most people think of him from the Bond films (73-85) or "The Wild Geese" (78), but he actually started acting in the late 40's and he was already over 45 when he started doing the Bond films. I think the sculpt is really good for a young Moore but it is much closer to how he looked before his Bond films, which is what I believe people are expecting when they look at this sculpt. I took a look at several images and his face aged quite a bit as he grew older. When he was young, it was fairly narrow but it widened and rounded out a bit as he got older. He always seems to have had a bit of a thick neck, though. I think the aging is what is throwing people off here and the fact that DiD are producing a Bond figure that looks much too young. Perhaps because of family wishes, licensing reasons or just working from images of a younger Moore, they have produced a James Bond figure with a much younger looking Roger Moore sculpt than is appropriate. The sculpt appears to be of Moore in his mid 30's and is a closer match to how he looked when playing Simon Templar in "The Saint" TV series (62-69) than how he looked in "Live and Let Die" (73), which is what this figure is based on. The first image in this thread is a mockup of a promotional image from that film. Look at the images below and judge for yourself or check out the many faces of Roger Moore on this website: Roger Moore

This is Moore as Simon Templar from "The Saint" TV series:

Here is Moore as James Bond from "Live and Let Die":

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
Here's a better image of the James Bond that this figure is supposed to depict. Possibly for licensing reasons, the outfit and gear included with the figure aren't completely movie accurate. The belt is wrong, the pistol isn't stainless or chromed and the right shoulder holster strap is wrong as well.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
The resemblance is there, it is just not overwhelmingly good. I think the issue might be over-texturing, which is intended to make things more realistic, but if overdone can create an overly rough, overly aged, or almost crocodile skin effect. Roger Moore always had a certain smoothness and suave-ness (that supposedly made him Ian Fleming's favorite Bond look) which does not come across here.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I think the aging is what is throwing people off here and the fact that DiD are producing a Bond figure that looks much too young. Perhaps because of family wishes, licensing reasons or just working from images of a younger Moore, they have produced a James Bond figure with a much younger looking Roger Moore sculpt than is appropriate. The sculpt appears to be of Moore in his mid 30's and is a closer match to how he looked when playing Simon Templar in "The Saint" TV series (62-69) than how he looked in "Live and Let Die" (73), which is what this figure is based on.
Here's a better image of the James Bond that this figure is supposed to depict. Possibly for licensing reasons, the outfit and gear included with the figure aren't completely movie accurate. The belt is wrong, the pistol isn't stainless or chromed and the right shoulder holster strap is wrong as well.
Scimitar, your comments are well taken and make me reconsider the sculpt somewhat. In fairness we should go further and acknowledge it doesn't say anywhere this is supposed to be a James Bond figure or that it is supposed to be based on Live and Let Die. We just assume that -- because they did Craig and Brosnan Bonds, and because let's face it, there's more demand for Bond than Simon Templar. The outfit does target Live and Let Die, but maybe just as something associated with Roger Moore the actor, and quite possibly he may have previously worn something similar on The Saint or The Persuaders (we'd have to look at about 150 hours of TV to know).

Allowing for the age adjustment makes the sculpt look better, still not great. As a rule, sculpt accuracy suffers in these cases where they're really making one specific character but sidestepping the franchise license and licensing the actor not the character. See also "Caroline Munro not Starcrash," "Adam West not Batman," "Julie Newmar" etc.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
The resemblance is there, it is just not overwhelmingly good. I think the issue might be over-texturing, which is intended to make things more realistic, but if overdone can create an overly rough, overly aged, or almost crocodile skin effect. Roger Moore always had a certain smoothness and suave-ness (that supposedly made him Ian Fleming's favorite Bond look) which does not come across here.
Not so sure about that, Ian Fleming passed away in 1964 long before Moore would have been considered.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Not so sure about that, Ian Fleming passed away in 1964 long before Moore would have been considered.

CHEERS!
"The legend is&#8230; STATUS: False (with just a tad bit of truth behind it)" Movie Legends Revealed: Was Roger Moore Really Ian Fleming's First Choice to Play James Bond? It's not out of the question however that Fleming could have made some early positive comment about Moore based on The Saint, or even before that though the article doesn't mention it, on the TV series Ivanhoe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts