One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In Michael J. Winey's excellent reference book, "Confederate Army Uniforms at Gettysbug", he uses photos taken of dead Confederate soldiers as part of his data base. Included are the now famous photos by Alexander Gardner of a "Sharpshooter at Devil's Den", which William A. Frassanito identified in his first book, "Gettysburg - A Journey in Time" as being of the same body moved some 40 yards and positioned in the rocks in the Den. He was photographed in at least two locations from different angles.

In Winey's book, he features a drawing done by Don Troiani depicting the soldier in life, speculating that he was with the 20th Georgia Infantry. It is this drawing that I tried to recreate in 1/6. Having considered re-creating the photos before making his pose permanent, I decided to just show him in life. boldly marching into battle.

The hs and figure is a modified DML, with DiD hands. His uniform and belt accoutrements are all BGT. The canteen, cup, socks and Enfield rifle-musket are SST, and the haversack is ITPT. I added the large breast pocket to his frock coat, as in the photos and Troiani's drawing.
This is my first completed Confederate. Thanks for looking.

Don Troiani's "Private, 45th NY...July 1863"

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Nice figure but shouldn't the beak, chin strap, and belt be black instead of brown? Are there any reference pictures showing brown?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Is it just me....or did I see something on AHC (formerly the Military Channel), that the Devils Aden photo was staged by the photographer? ie he moved the body from a slightly different location because this was a much more dramatic photo.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Beautiful work, from head to toe.

Best of all, it's one of "our boys."

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hallo!

"Is it just me....or did I see something on AHC (formerly the Military Channel), that the Devils Aden photo was staged by the photographer? ie he moved the body from a slightly different location because this was a much more dramatic photo. "

Correct. That is what he was referring to, as shared by William Frassanito.

Previously, the lower area was covered in weeds, chest high, and rattlesnakes. More recently the NPS has cleared the land to make finding the site easier.

There are numerous on-line discussions of it, which includes some lads who maintain the first picture was in the "Den" and that Gardner and Sullivan and crew then moved the body downhill to the lower site becasue... it was... a downhill slope. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts