One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to make a Headless Horseman/ Horseman Of Death from the current TV programe Sleepy Hollow but I'll need a suitable period coat to start with to create the Hessian. I remember there was a site that did custom Civil War, Western and I think War For Independence USA related clothing and weapons but I can't remember what it was called or even if it's the right place to look. The 1/6 Redcoat figure from SSC is going for well over $200 on eBay so that's not an option. Any info would be great, cheers!

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you can crack the code on this one, let me know. I've been scouring the internet for like six months and have met with limited success.

Your best bet is probably Sideshow's Revolutionary War Redcoat - 64th Regiment Foot. They sell on eBay for $250+. That said, it looks great and is definitely on my list... Maybe when my tax return comes in...

You can try Soldiers of the World, as mentioned above. They sell on eBay for as little as $5, but you get what you pay for... I've never found a detailed review of one, and that in and of itself tells me a little about their quality. If you try one and find it works, please let me know.

There's also Greystone's 1745 model. I'm not a big AWI buff, so I can't say whether this uni is "close enough" or could be modified to suit. It's another entry on my "maybe one day" list. You can get them on Greystone's website, but they are usually on sale cheaper at Cotswold's.

I already asked Amy at AJ Clothiers if she'd make me one, and she replied that she doesn't usually make uniforms. I'm sure Le 1/6 Zouave could whip one up... They're cheaper than tracking down a Sideshow figure. I've seen lots of beautiful British figures from Tony Barton, but I've never seen a pattern or tutorial. Tony, if you have one, please share!

:goodluck

And for all the manufacturers out there: We need more Regency / Napoleonic models! Hell, just make us the unis and we'll do the rest!

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
hey Shovelchop--
the SOTW can be made passable with a little snip-n-stitch but even those are hard to come by.

the red is very bright but you could tone it down with some weathering, then add your own tape and buttons.... are you going to create one of those masks in 1/6?

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,194 Posts
Making 1/6th period clothes is possible, but really requires a deal of preparation , and a certain amount of luck finding materials.
The trick is to use the right fabric, and to prepare it all correctly before you even start cutting.
I work with brushed cotton . You have to locate a supply , buy it, iron it flat and paint it, which requires space and your own paint mixes .
The pattern cutting part is quite easy : I could draw you a workable pattern .
You then need a sewing machine and some handsewing equipment to put it together, together with some skill and practice to do a neat job.
Tape : you have to lay in supplies from various sources to get the right sizes, then paint and add the coloured lines with small pens .
Buttons : impossible to find, I model and cast my own , but not to sell . It’s too time consuming to be financially viable, alas .

So buy something and convert it !

Surely, if he is supposed to be a Hessian , he should have a blue coat ? But perhaps historical veracity is nothing to do with the subject ?

·
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can look for a cheap Soldiers to the World figure on eBay. Otherwise, you can try to find a tutorial from Tony Barton. I think I made most of mine from scratch.
Thanks cableocommander, I will.

If you can crack the code on this one, let me know. I've been scouring the internet for like six months and have met with limited success.

Your best bet is probably Sideshow's Revolutionary War Redcoat - 64th Regiment Foot. They sell on eBay for $250+. That said, it looks great and is definitely on my list... Maybe when my tax return comes in...

You can try Soldiers of the World, as mentioned above. They sell on eBay for as little as $5, but you get what you pay for... I've never found a detailed review of one, and that in and of itself tells me a little about their quality. If you try one and find it works, please let me know.

There's also Greystone's 1745 model. I'm not a big AWI buff, so I can't say whether this uni is "close enough" or could be modified to suit. It's another entry on my "maybe one day" list. You can get them on Greystone's website, but they are usually on sale cheaper at Cotswold's.

I already asked Amy at AJ Clothiers if she'd make me one, and she replied that she doesn't usually make uniforms. I'm sure Le 1/6 Zouave could whip one up... They're cheaper than tracking down a Sideshow figure. I've seen lots of beautiful British figures from Tony Barton, but I've never seen a pattern or tutorial. Tony, if you have one, please share!

:goodluck

And for all the manufacturers out there: We need more Regency / Napoleonic models! Hell, just make us the unis and we'll do the rest!
Yeah, like I said above I'd found a SSC version on eBay but they're so rare and expensive I'll leave those for the collectors of this period to enjoy. I'll look into the Greystones 1745 and SOTW figures/parts. Thanks for the info!

Battlegear Toys makes civil war uniforms, western and modern .Don't see any Rev war stuff though.
BattleGear Toys
I actually like the Soldiers of the World uniforms if you replace the buttons and trim.
Cheers for the link BDM!

hey Shovelchop--
the SOTW can be made passable with a little snip-n-stitch but even those are hard to come by.

the red is very bright but you could tone it down with some weathering, then add your own tape and buttons.... are you going to create one of those masks in 1/6?
They look very promising to me! Thanks!

Try Amy at her shop, A.J. Clothiers. She does wonderful work
Marc Cole used to do a Redcoat uniform for vintage Joe bodys.
I'm not looking for commissioned pieces, just something to work from but thanks for the names though guys!

Making 1/6th period clothes is possible, but really requires a deal of preparation , and a certain amount of luck finding materials.
The trick is to use the right fabric, and to prepare it all correctly before you even start cutting.
I work with brushed cotton . You have to locate a supply , buy it, iron it flat and paint it, which requires space and your own paint mixes .
The pattern cutting part is quite easy : I could draw you a workable pattern .
You then need a sewing machine and some handsewing equipment to put it together, together with some skill and practice to do a neat job.
Tape : you have to lay in supplies from various sources to get the right sizes, then paint and add the coloured lines with small pens .
Buttons : impossible to find, I model and cast my own , but not to sell . It's too time consuming to be financially viable, alas .

So buy something and convert it !

Surely, if he is supposed to be a Hessian , he should have a blue coat ? But perhaps historical veracity is nothing to do with the subject ?
I've seen lots of your amazing tailoring and won't even try to replicate any of it! I'm more mechanically minded :lol. The TV series is definitely not historically accurate in any shape or form as it's a sci-fi/horror series and I assume they put the Hessian in a red coat rather than blue to avoid any confusion for the viewers that he's a bad guy and not a revolutionary. I'm looking for a springboard to work off like the pictures above as I love tweaking clothing, cutting it up and sticking it back together in different ways but tend to avoid starting from scratch with tailoring, I leave that to the experts!
Cheers for all the advice Tony!

·
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some reference pics in case they spark some ideas:

·
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great... 600 items listed for soldiers of the world on eBay and not one redcoat, there's AWI marines from both sides, loads of revolutionary figures a few British but not in redcoats, typical!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I really hope you get this sorted SC81, I think your creations are superb and I'm itching to see what you come up with on this one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've seen a redcoat with yellow facings for sale, but there aren't any now... Amazon still has a two-pack with a miltia officer and a redcoat (as in the pictures above) but they are friggin expensive. I wonder who thought using contrasting thread was a good idea.

I am going to buy one of their "Officer of the Militia" figures, with the red coat and vest. Those seem pretty prolific. I will try to re-tailor it with facings to make it into a British coat. I'll tell you how it goes.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
One thing that comes to mind (but probably not much cheaper than the SSC Redcoat) would be the redcoat that SSC Blackbeard has. Too bad Pirates of the Caribbean never made a Redcoat figure, as they did in other scales but not in 1-6. I wonder if the 12 inch Zizzle Jack Sparrow or Will Turner blue coats could bleach and re-dye red in any acceptable way -- if so, they're decent, and nowhere near as expensive as a Sideshow or Hot Toys product.

·
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really hope you get this sorted SC81, I think your creations are superb and I'm itching to see what you come up with on this one.
Cheers muzzer, it's looking like I might have to make my own.

I've seen a redcoat with yellow facings for sale, but there aren't any now... Amazon still has a two-pack with a miltia officer and a redcoat (as in the pictures above) but they are friggin expensive. I wonder who thought using contrasting thread was a good idea.

I am going to buy one of their "Officer of the Militia" figures, with the red coat and vest. Those seem pretty prolific. I will try to re-tailor it with facings to make it into a British coat. I'll tell you how it goes.
I'm tempted by that figure too as the boots etc.. could be useful as well.

One thing that comes to mind (but probably not much cheaper than the SSC Redcoat) would be the redcoat that SSC Blackbeard has. Too bad Pirates of the Caribbean never made a Redcoat figure, as they did in other scales but not in 1-6. I wonder if the 12 inch Zizzle Jack Sparrow or Will Turner blue coats could bleach and re-dye red in any acceptable way -- if so, they're decent, and nowhere near as expensive as a Sideshow or Hot Toys product.
I was looking at my Louis and Clarke figures and my Blackbeard figures for that reason too, I have some zizzle stuff too just to get an idea, I wouldn't sacrifice any of the figures for this but some loose zizzle stuff might work.

·
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I so totally want one of those L&C sets... Not so much for the uniform, but the insane amount of kit they come with.
It is a nice selection but you will get quantity over quality on some parts, the air rifle is a brilliant accessory, I've never seen another one, the canister/stock even unscrews so you can attach the threaded hand pump with working plunger! Napoleon reportedly hated air rifles the most and wanted them banned from warfare as snipers were using them to pick off his officers and no one had any idea where the shooter was as there is little to no noise, no flash or smoke to give away the sniper's position.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I may have a loose redcoat from sideshow. I used the figure and the rest of the uniform for an American Continental Marine.

·
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may have a loose redcoat from sideshow. I used the figure and the rest of the uniform for an American Continental Marine.
pm sent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts