One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay Iam having too much free time. I was just surffing through the net and type in Macross (Robotech) live action movie. The movie is in the works and Toby McQuire wants to produce it. This info has been out months ago but Iam just letting everyone know. I don't know how many of you have seen the cartoon or heard of it? But as a kid growing up in the 90's I wacthed this cartoon every afternoon on cartoon network. Its about a space ship that crash lands into earth during a world war. After the phenomenon, the earth goverments cease fire and decided to corporate with experimenting the alien technology called "Protoculture". After years passed military alien forces from space come looking for the missing technology to bring it back to their creators called the Robotech Masters. The crew of the Super Dimensional Fortress (The SDF-1), must fight off this alien invasion and survive the first robotech war.

Now I have an idea of which actors should play the villains in this movie. The Zentradis. Here are my choices:

Henry Rollins: The guy is really buffed and can play a really pissed of alien officer or pod pilot.

Vin Diesel: He can play one of the alien generals.

Ving Rhames: He can play the main villain. I forgot the Zentradi generals name.

Lindsey Lohan: I know it sounds unrealistic but I think she can play the zentradi female pilot. Max's love interest. You just have to cut her hair short and dye her hair dark green.

Thats all I can think of right now. Toby playing as Rick Hunter will be a bad idea he is not right actor for the role to me. Maybe an unknown actor will fit in the role. If you have any suggestions of who should play the heroes or villains please respond. Oh!!! And lets not forget the real stars of the movie. The Vertechs! What kind of jets should transform into robots! Or what about tanks and Motorcycles!

·
Old Enough To Know Better
243 Posts
I've been a big fan of anime since the early '70s when I first watched Speed Racer (I watched some episodes again recently, and it's really stupid, but that's another thread).
So in the early '80s when a local cable station first started airing Robotech, I watched every day after high school. I thought it was pretty cool, with the F-14 looking transforming planes and dogfights. The complicated love triangle was pretty tedious, and Minmay was just irritating. But then, one day, a MAIN CHARACTER DIED! ON A CARTOON! I was hooked. Finally a cartoon with more "grown-up" themes. I now have all the episodes from all three parts on DVD, and I anxiously await the movie (though with a little bit of trepidation; with a plot line so intricate, the ways to screw it up are infinite).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
COOL!!! Someone who knows robotech! Iam not alone after all.:lol Yeah I fear they may change the story but I hope McQuire is a true fan who doesn't want to destroty the movie. I hope they make it dramatic. As you said before the main character dies! Keep the audience thinking that Roy Folker is the hero who has everthing under control. Until all of a suden he loses it! They need to stick with the cheesy pop songs I mean Minmay songs are the most horrible but memorable songs in the cartoon series! Now has anyone have thoughts of who should play the characters of Robotech.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Well technically I was a grown-up, but I watched it after work, on CN. Pretty much everything you guys have cited was why I stuck with it. It definitely had a hard edge to it, and moved along far better than the insecure, ever-sighing, long-winded characters that inhabit the anime on Adult Swim now (the exception being Shin Chan). Maybe it's like White Castles, I dunno, but put me in the "likes it" column.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Robotech is a big favorite of mine. Talk about deaths on that cartoon, on the earth side they had about 13 main characters. By the end of series, 7 to 8 of them were killed off. With movie technology the way it is today I can only imagine how cool the space battles would be.

I'm a little iffy about Toby playing Rick Hunter but I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grunt I think thats who they wanna work with? The team who made the Transfomer movie. But yeah, Thunder is right there are two versions of Macross the Japanese verision and the American version. I mostly grew up wacthing the American version. I worked my way to the Robotech Masters series. I never saw Third Generation but my big brother told me its the most interesting story in the series. I think Toby will based the movie on the American version. Its possibility he or the other producers will cut background character and interesting plots in the movie.

Fareastthunder did you ever wacthed The Sentinels? If you did can you explain to me what happened in the end of that series. I know it was a short lived series but I only wacthed the first half of it. I stopped where Hunter and his girlfriend got married after that I saw the Robotech Masters losing to the Invid's.

·
BBi Fanboy
2,210 Posts
If they do produce a live action Macross film, they'd probably be better served following the lead of 1984's Macross: Do You Remember Love? For those that aren't familiar, DYRL was a feature-length adaptation of the original Macross series, that essentially condensed the original storyline into a single film. It was released on DVD a few years ago for the 25th Anniversary of the original release. The animation is better than the original series, and some of the mecha (most notably the SDF-1) and costume designs were altered, but thankfully not the Valkyries. In 1985 I got a hold of a bad, dark, bootleg VHS copy of DYRL and Megazone 23 Pt.2 and watched it till the tape wore out. After all these years, it's still my favorite piece of anime. :thumb

I'm glad that the original Macross series has been released on DVD, minus the Robotech add-ons.

Personally, I hope they don't make it. Especially if it goes the way of Transformers. Some stuff just lives best in the past, that way it can't be ruined.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Back in 79 or 80 I bought a three back of Veritech Fighters at Forbidden Planet Comics in NYC (I was 13). A few years later while in High School I was channel surfing and ran across the cartoon - Man, was I in shock. Not only did I have a Japanese import that no one I knew even knew existed, I also had an explanation to what my cool import toys were.

I liked the ships and robots in the first series but really got into the second and third. Loved the transforming tanks and motorcycles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Robotech Collection on Youtube!!!

Glad to see more replys to this post. And notice members who are fans of the series. Just to let you know The whole Robotech collection can be wacthed on youtube! I just finished wacthing the first series, now wacthing the Sentinels. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/HELLMOX

HELLOMOX is his username and I hope all of you know your spanish.:D
The Sentinels movie is in spanish subtitles. There is the Macross movies also.

Kneejoint my brother use to have the vertech toys! He wacthed the whole series! Schultz!!!!!!! You maybe right some things are better left in the past. But if you ever say it will be like Transformers again I will send you to the damn Russian Front!:lol

·
BBi Fanboy
2,210 Posts
What do you mean, Capv? Does that mean you're a fan of the Transformers film, or you hated it? I thought the first hour was entertaining, and funny at times, which was cool. The last couple hours seemed to drag on forever and were terrible. Very reminiscent of Independence Day. C'mon...Sabot rounds for M203's? The fighting between the Transformers themselves was hard to watch and just plain silly. It was almost as bad and dizzying to watch as Cloverfield. But that's just my opinion. If you liked it, then it's all good. :)

·
The Blood Sword
165 Posts
Cap are you serious? You'd think most of the people involved in this hobby would remember Robotech in some form. I bought the whole series on DVD back in 2002 and I cherish them. I would love to see the original Macross series because that was my favorite.
For anyone who still can't get enough check out Robotech: Shadow Chronicles. It is a movie that came out last year, they even had it in theaters in the States in September.

I thought Transformers was a great film. Maybe it was hearing Peter Cullen's voice on the big screen but it really took me back to my days as a child in the 80's.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OMG! Schultz I was just joking! Transformers movie was okay but not my favorite anime-turned-into-live-action movie. The only thing I like about Transformers was the spin-off show Beast Wars.

Cathayone I found the robotech collection on youtube. I wanted to share with everyone of my find. So they can take the time to wacth a really cool show for free on the web. Let some members who never heard of the show watch something cool. I never watched Shadow Chronicals but from What I read and seen previews. It doesn't look to interesting in my view. All that CGI or computer animation:razz they put in the film turns me off from that movie.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update!!! New Show

THeir is a new Macross series in Japan. The pilot was released in December 2007. The full series was released on April 4, 2008. Its titled "Macross Frontier"
the show takes place in a human colony in the year 2059. When a recon team scans a unexplored astriod belt a biomechanical alien attacks them and the colony. Here's the video in english subs hope you enjoy.

You can find the rest of the parts here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=MACROSS+fRONTIER&search_type=

Look for the name AlwaysAnimeGuru.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Wow !!! that is great news it's about dam time ... DYRL was one of the first anime films that got me hooked in the late 80's . This is definately the route they should go insted of trying to cram the tv show into a 2 - 2 1/2 hr movie .

As for Michel Bay that sounds good being that Transformers was done well . Plus with Toby Maguire being involved at some level could only help move the project along , given his bankability with the Spiderman films . We shall see , lets hop it gets done right :)

·
BBi Fanboy
2,210 Posts
Yes! Macross has me hooked all over again. That creature/alien/machine is what the Cloverfield monster should have been. I love the use of the DYRL music too.

Interesting that the plot involves the UN SPACY farming out the defense of the Macross Frontier to a PMC. Art imitating life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.