One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I joined this forum (and others), I noticed several collectors having ISSUES with female figures that had "real hair." I thought "who cares, it's their business et." But it's never ending. Who are the people out there who find it more desirable (and if you do, why?) when your female figure has sculpted hair vs. combable hair?

·
Registered
345 Posts
For me, it's a question of hairdo. Short hair, sculpted, long hair rooted.

For those who say rooted looks like a Barbie, I'd say sculpted looked like a statue. I don't collect statues but action figures, which is the manly way to say dolls!:)

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Definitely rooted. For short and long hair. Although a while back I bought a Halle Berry/Storm sculpt and I have to admit the sculpted hair works for that sculpt.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
I'd say unless it's supposed to be a really short cut, rooted/real hair all the way.

I've rerooted Kumik and HT heads with mohair and I think they look a million times better than they ever would in plastic. That said, it depends entirely on the hair fibre used - some of the stuff I've seen on other people's figures just looks artificial and there's no amount of styling that will change that.

Breaana by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

image by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

One thing you just don't get with sculpted hair is the sense of movement - you might get some dramatically sculpted locks which look really dynamic but it'll always look the same!

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Rooted. Even for male heads. There are some unreal customs out there with rooted hair that really take the sculpt from good to fantastic... almost Lifelike to the point of scary real. There are some customizers out there that specialize in doing this. Their work is incredible.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,894 Posts
"Velcro"

WAIT A MINUTE . . .

We're talking about 1:6 head sculpt hair?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, it 100% depends on the character.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But is this a "guys vs. girls" thing? Why do so many male collectors get offended when their figures have rooted hair? Just my opinion: But grow up! It looks more realistic!!!!

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I agree that what looks best can be on a "case by case basis" per figure; but there is an additional problem created by discrepancies when you group figures together, like a rooted hair woman and a sculpted hair woman side by side. I think there are some things that our eyes have been unconsciously trained to accept. The traditional default is sculpted males and rooted females. So for example the discrepancy btwn HT Captain America sculpted and HT Black Widow rooted doesn't stand out.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that what looks best can be on a "case by case basis" per figure; but there is an additional problem created by discrepancies when you group figures together, like a rooted hair woman and a sculpted hair woman side by side. I think there are some things that our eyes have been unconsciously trained to accept. The traditional default is sculpted males and rooted females. So for example the discrepancy btwn HT Captain America sculpted and HT Black Widow rooted doesn't stand out.
Yep, perfect example. But it still doesn't explain the un-so-perferct example of figures made imperfectly and the collectors who complain.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I think a better discrepancy/example would be HT Thor and HT Black Widow. Long sculpted hair Thor looks mind-numbingly stupid with his tree-root sculpted hair, next to a near-perfectly quaffed BW with either medium-length or long hair style. While I agree to a certain extent that short hair can be sculpted as a matter of practicality, it's not a necessity to me. I generally prefer rooted hair for that added bit of realism. Why go out of the way to sculpt a perfect/near perfect likeness of an actor/actress, and then ruin it with a long glob of rubbery looking pvc? Even Phicen has, to a limited extent, managed to pull off short hair styles that are rooted. The way some people carry on (and it's generally the same people), about rooted hair being horrible and Barbie-like, I have to wonder just how insecure in their own masculinity these people are, or if their family jewels have dropped yet.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Rooted, both male and female. Looks more realistic and to be honest i think it's a cop out to say that styles ,plaits etc cant be done with rooted hair. The same with male styles even if they were fixed in some way rooted would look more realistic.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'd say make these option to buyers
  • Rooted Hair/ Sculpted Hair
  • Neck Joint oh Head/Sculpted 1 piece head/neck
And if you're worried about left-overs, make more costly ones pre-order special

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have very few female figures with sculpted hair that I like. As a general rule, I far prefer rooted hair. And for those that think rooted hair can't work with short hair styles, Mattel has been making some short hair styles with rooted hair for years, and they look far better than the molded hair-dos of female action figures. My theory is that action figures started out as toys for boys, and that molded hair would be far more expedient, and probably be more likely to survive. It's been stated on action figure forums for years that "dolls have rooted hair and action figures have molded hair". Thankfully this mindset is changing.

What I would like to see is more male figures with rooted hair. DID was about the only recent company that made some male figures with rooted hair.

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts
Rooted is good, but i oft find it is never styles, and if it is, it may tangle easy. that said, i think its overall better.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If it could be done realistically and in scale I'd say rooted, but any figure I've had with rooted hair it's always gone haywire, even short.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts