One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of pictures of force recon, MEF, and FAST units wear flightsuits, but do other USMC units wear them sometimes? Pictures would be welcome.

Thanks

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,031 Posts
Maybe in a case-by-case situation. They wear flight suits because they are made of Nomex, and if the situation has a higher risk of exposure to flame, they probably have an option to wear them.

That said, I haven't seen any recent pics of regular unit Marines in flight suits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe in a case-by-case situation. They wear flight suits because they are made of Nomex, and if the situation has a higher risk of exposure to flame, they probably have an option to wear them.

That said, I haven't seen any recent pics of regular unit Marines in flight suits.
Ah okay.

·
No more Pancake face
1,044 Posts
In the early days of Iraq it was common issue because the FROG suits hadn't been made yet and they were the only flame resistant gear in the inventory. So a lot of armored units or anyone in a vehicle would probably wear them to protect from IEDs.

Now pretty much only RECON wear them and even then it's usually only done during ship or air operations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the Army , anybody that was part of a crew in the Bradley's wore flight suits. Just the jumpsuit and CVC headgear. Nothing extra that pilots may have.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Even flight suits are becoming a little old fashioned as BDU style uniforms made out of the same Nomex material are now available. I know a number of my friends who are current Marine Cobra/Huey pilots prefer those over the flight suits.

As for the rifleman, Metron_23 is completely right. Using the tan flightsuits in place of BDUs was a stopgap to mitigate the risk of flash burns from IEDs in OIF prior to the introduction of the "No Melt/No Drip" Flame Resistant Operational Gear (FROG) uniforms.

With those available and specifically designed for ground combat operations (vice flightsuits which are not), there is no real incentive to wear a one piece uniform that has a poorer level of breathability and less ideal pocket configuration than a two piece FROG combat uniform. Flightsuits are also more expensive to replace and harder to size (because they are one piece) so from a central issue perspective, more germane to line infantry units than Recon, Force Recon or MARSOC who get more gucci gear, that's also an important consideration.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've seen a lot of pictures of force recon, MEF, and FAST units wear flightsuits, but do other USMC units wear them sometimes? Pictures would be welcome.

Thanks
I believe, aside from tankers, it was corpsmen who wore hte flightsuits. At least in Iraq.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts