One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

For us "old timers"/"veterans", we all experienced and learned the good, the bad, and the ugly about the 1:6 hobby based on direct, hands on, and personal experience over many years.

For those "new" 1:6 collectors/hobbyists just discovering the 1:6 hobby within the past year or two as a point of reference for this discussion, do they right, wrong, or indifferent have realistic demands/expectations of the 1:6 hobby?

I post this question/topic based on observations and trending of posts/replies by some newcomers where their demands/expectations come off being unrealistic compared to those of us who are more experienced and familiar in such matters with regards to the 1:6 hobby.

Some of us out of experience and habit enlighten new members and set the appropriate demands and expectations based on what experienced and learned ourselves . . . the hard way at times.

What makes "new" 1:6 collectors/enthusiasts more demanding/expecting compared to how us "old timers"/"veterans" were when we started? Is there a genuine difference in mindset or are we still the same and the difference is in nuances?

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Re: Do "NEW" 1:6 collectors/hobbyists have realistic demands/expectations?

I think we think they don't. We can go back as far as Action Man, there will now be generations where HT is all they ever know or see and anything else will always pale by comparison. You just don't see all the starter figures now, like all the 21C, DML, BBI we had, even Power Team seem to have disappeared now. Unless you knew a time pre HT, the benchmark will always be HT.

CHEERS!

·
My heater's broke...
1,147 Posts

The expectation is a flawless product from a major franchise with tons of accessories at a subjectively affordable price to be in-hand without any production delays.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

It is natural for you guys veteran collector, a new figure is just a figure number X of your so many figures, it will stay in box or sit on the rack slot X to complete a theme end of story, when it's not perfect one day you'll just buy a better version whenever available, or bash it from part basket you've been collecting for years,

however for people who don't really collect, and already choked by the price list of this plastic toys, especially if it hyped to high heaven, with tease pictures, preview, etc. officially licensed, then it better deliver to the highest expectation.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Absolutely not/they don't have realistic expectations because they are feeling their way through new territory. Newcomers have a different mindset of expectations. But the more one collects; learns what works and does not work-the faster expectations about (insert any aspect of) collecting 1/6 changes.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

older generation have experienced that box art illustration is always much better than the product inside, from video game cartridge, toys, even movie posters. Younger generation have not, these days what the cover pictured is just the product itself, it create different expectation imo.

·
Registered
812 Posts

I can say that I am new to the current collection. But I started back in the 90s with a couple of BBI figures then. My current collection only started because of the realism I saw in the creations, actually starting with HT Avengers Black Widow and the Sucker Punch characters. For me it is an art work where I pose them for display, and it stands there for years. They are (to me) very expensive, and so where the BBIs back then (at the time), so I have been very very selective in my purchase. Am very new to kitbashing, which is why I've been asking lots of questions around here, and I must say people here at OSW are a great resource and help! I like realism in the figures, but only up to the extend that they look so on display. It doesn't have to be a seamless body if the joints are never going to be seen, like Super Duck's upcoming Supergirl iterations. I'm also cautiously skeptical about the longevity of seamless bodies and their limitations to extreme poses. So for my purposes, I would settle for jointed figures for my kitbash characters. As for HT's WW which many where complaining about, it's not a problem to me. My purpose is just to display the Justice League team of characters.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,538 Posts

It is natural for you guys veteran collector, a new figure is just a figure number X of your so many figures, it will stay in box or sit on the rack slot X to complete a theme end of story, when it's not perfect one day you'll just buy a better version whenever available, or bash it from part basket you've been collecting for years,
:agree :rolling That's actually fairly accurate!! :wink

·
Registered
968 Posts

And therefore, one can ask: Do "OLDER" 1/6 scale collectors/hobbyists have realistic demands/expectations? It's all about individual taste and preference.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts

And therefore, one can ask: Do "OLDER" 1/6 scale collectors/hobbyists have realistic demands/expectations? It's all about individual taste and preference.
I thought it was a prerequisite for participation in the hobby? :lol

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts

The expectation is a flawless product from a major franchise with tons of accessories at a subjectively affordable price to be in-hand without any production delays.
Absolutely not/they don't have realistic expectations because they are feeling their way through new territory. Newcomers have a different mindset of expectations. But the more one collects; learns what works and does not work-the faster expectations about (insert any aspect of) collecting 1/6 changes.
older generation have experienced that box art illustration is always much better than the product inside, from video game cartridge, toys, even movie posters. Younger generation have not, these days what the cover pictured is just the product itself, it create different expectation imo.
i think i agree and disagree. its all subjective, and therefore subject to interpretation.

·
11,538 Posts

i think i agree and disagree. its all subjective, and therefore subject to interpretation.
The comments you selected are fact, so not a lot of room for subjectivity there..Well at least the last two...:think

·
Registered
260 Posts

It's all a learning process. The main thing that newbies seem to assume is universal compatibility. Why doesn't the skin tone match or the head sit on the body correctly? I don't think many who enter the hobby realise the DIY requirements even after shelling out the cash. If you're not handy with tools, it's a frustrating hobby unless you are content just display stuff straight out of the box as is.

·
11,538 Posts

Fact? According to who......?
Quote Originally Posted by Comicsrcoll78 View Post
Quote Originally Posted by navetsea View Post
Established truths then? By observation, experience and the rule of thumb? :wink

·
Registered
798 Posts

Do "NEW" 1:6 collectors/hobbyists have realistic demands/expectations?

For whatever top-line figures cost ($165 and up) nowadays of course everyone expect more bang for their buck.
Anybody who only started collecting during the heights of DID/HT/SS years or recently should be accustomed to that higher level of quality.

Age is not a factor either, it's not always about that 'millenial attitude' thing.
I have a colleague from work who at age 36 just started collecting 1:6 recently- he's more of video game freak who loves action figures in general, got them lined up in his office. He regularly buys HT and SS, bought several of my WW2 custom kitbash sets as well.
He once visited my garage to check out my 'old collection'. This exchange summed it up:

Him: "Those BBI and Dragon figures are nicely detailed, but still kinda behind(!) in quality compared to the new releases."
Old me: "Yeah, but the BBIs and Dragons cost $32.00 when they came out."
Him: "Nah?":blank

·
Registered
5,849 Posts

New collectors walk into a hobby in which the figure quality are steps ahead of the old GI JOE, dragon, 21st century, BBI, figs. In many ways they are spoiled and many of them many times try to come across in forums as "authorities" in the 1/6 community, with nothing more than a 10 fig iron man collection! These collectors dont know how things used to be and how much change has occurred in the hobby. The 1/6 world today is far different today. The new collectors, missed the "golden age" (at least to me) of 1/6 in the 2000's when you had the mass Weekend of Heroes conventions.
Another thing i see, is that many of the new collectors just buy and display their figs. A lot less bashing or customizing of figs. I PERSONALLY would find this boring. I love to bash together figs, paint, etc,..

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts

Established truths then? By observation, experience and the rule of thumb? :wink
How about "opinions"? That's more descriptive of those comments.....IMHO.....of course, you know what they say about opinions.....:lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts