One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed the DML Iwo set now popping up for sale all over. I have no real plans to buy it based on cost and production quality by Dragon. But I gotta ask, has anyone bought it and have any input on the set? It seems that the preview shows very little detail and I am really curious as to what the set is like.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
I couldn't see myself purchasing one even at the height of my WWII phase. If I was a collector vs. modeler, I might. But I can't see paying that much for something I am going to tear apart later.

·
Cyber-Bully
956 Posts
No Native American headsculpt representing Ira Hayes old pattern Colt holster and Carbine magazine pouches, elastic slings on M1 carbine, elastic helmet straps, etc.

·
Likes little people
1,617 Posts
yah I looked at the headsculpts at EBT-I donno if they copied "flags of our fathers" actors or the real people or just generic faces--and who is the guy with the goatee ??

·
Registered
423 Posts
This set looks like a real dissapointment. The headsculpts are not those of the actual flag raisers. The M1 carbines are the old version with elastic staps. The helmets are old versions with elastic chin straps and lack the buckle on the liner strap. The M1 carbine ammo pouch is plastic as are the standard M1910 first aid pouch. Plastic M1911 pistol holster and K-Bar sheath. Finally, other than the one figure with the cloth M1923 cartridge belt all of the M1936 pistol belts are plastic. All in all, not a figure set worthy of such a seminal event in US military history. Of course one could always upgrade the set with after market additions (NLM Roughout boots, BGT cloth khaki helmet chin straps, cloth M1 carbine ammo pouches and M1910 1st aid pouches, leather pistol holster and K-Bar sheath, cloth M1936 pistol belt), but that would add close to another $200 to the cost of this set (which already comes in at approx $190 w/o shipping). Just in comparative terms, think what you can bash together for $400. I'd say that you could make 2 state of the art figures with all the bells and whistles and have money left over for more loose gear or some boxed figures

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,121 Posts
Dragon did awesome work on the 2 B-17 fuselage halves with figures, but a real life historical moment, and they drop the ball like that. Too bad. It's at one of my local shops, and is in one of the large cardboard boxes like the Kubels, so you can't see the contents. It does have a small picture of the contents, but just small enough that most of the details are hidden. Disappointing to say the least. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Cynical rehashes

I can't help thinking that DML did this as a way to use up old parts which it does by 6. I don't think it offers good value for money as even the fatigues are the old pattern and colour. There is a good thread on 6 Div about this set. Only the known DML apologists have good things to say.
As for the B17 sections, they took some severe shortcuts with those like the Flak Vest, Ammo chutes etc.
DML - on the slippery slope down
Al

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They also beakered in lacking charging handles for the guns, but I still think that there biggest flaw is expense. If you put out crap, fine, but charge crap prices. I really want one of the B-17 sets as I had a Grandfather who was a WWII B-17 pilot, but I am not willing to pay the price, so I will have to look on from far. I think that this set is interesting, but one that I believe would be FAR more rewarding as a bash. DML has there place, but most of us have left their place and moved on

1 - 15 of 15 Posts