One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working my Sherman sporadically for a while now. I decided I need to upload some pictures.

I started off with the VVSS assemblies because they are modular and can be painted ahead of time.

I added casting letters to the cast swing arms and housings.
and for anyone who hasn't seen these models compared to figures I added my jeep driver for comparison.

Box full of road wheels, rollers, and spring assemblies. I added zerk fittings to the wheels.

I added the rear idler mount webbing. I was surprised dragon omitted this. It looks like there should have been another piece to cement on there, unless I missed it on the sprue? :s
This helps reinforce the area as well as looks a little more accurate. it also will help when mounting the adjustable rear idle axle.

I started adding the cat texturing. There is alot of texture missing from the model. Here is the the turret plate.

Transmission housing.

I made a couple cable clamps, here is the front housing clamp.

Finally, here is the bags and bags of tracks and links. Just so people who are not familiar with size and scope of the model.

Took me a few days to trim and cement these things together. :)

Hope to have some more pics up soon. I am having fun.

·
DO NOT READ THIS SENTENCE
2,235 Posts
As riddled with inaccuracies as it is, the kit is brilliant. Goes together nicely.

I built one on commission and believe me when I say you'll want to build another the second you finish this one :)

Keep it up! Looking great :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I am trying to show the mods I made so that others can follow if they wish.

With the suspension ready to paint, I went back to the hull. During the regular assembly of the lower section, I noticed some fitment issues. First, where you attach the front transmission housing insets it too much, I didn't notice before cementing so I had to make up for it. It all worked out however. Next, the fender mounts will push them too far out, so I snipped them off so I could cement them in the correct place.

Before connecting the upper and lower hulls, I had to fill in the openings for the fuel/oil/water fillers as well as the fire extinguisher handle mount. First I drilled holes for the hinge bolts, then cemented a piece of plastic under neath. Because I would be mounting the fuel cap hinges thru the plastic I cut a piece larger than the holes and cemented it to the under side.

Then I could drill a smaller hole for the bolt and mount the hinges.

I think I forgot the picture, but I also measured out and drilled the skirt bolt holes before connecting the hull.

After I no longer needed underside access, I could cement the two sides together. The kit did not come with screws, but I felt it really did need them. I cemented the two halfs together and used #4x1/2 screws to secure it.

The side skirts did not exactly meet up, so I placed some reinforcement strip on the inner shelf strengthening the whole thing.

After I let this dry, I could move onto the upper hull details. The next fitment problem i had was with the integral bolt strip. I knew it would be an issue, so I left it off while I cemented the halfs. Once it was dry, I filed it down until it fit then textured it in so it will be seamless.

The bow MG canvas ring was really lacking detail, so I sanded it off. I ground in a weld ring to which I will add miliput later and textured the well.

I added the travel lock I got from ECA. I also made a latch for the travel lock.

I added texture and lettering to the front upper hull plate.

After the hull, I can now start re-working some of the smaller details. Here is the start of the bow MG. The out of box one is really lacking.

I used a bionicle joint to make it move.

Thanks for looking and hope you had a great Memorial Day.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

I got the 30 MG finished. shown is the original as well.

Is the ball usually black or OD? I have seen both.

I made the tow hook functional.

Up next is upper armor tools and mounts.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks.

Got some more progress made...

ID plates mounted

I made the rear engine hatches functional. This was alot more work than I thought. The kit rear deck was all one piece. I had to cut it appart then lessen the cut gaps with styrene.

I updated most of the handles and made tool fixtures from brass. I made all the tool footman loops.

I made the rear track storage functional.

Finally, I started miliputing welds on everything.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the comments, guys!

I finished the welds on the upper armor (except for the brush guards, those will be after I receive new lights front and rear)

I think I finalized the fluid caps, finally.

Here is the detail I added to the driver/gunner hatches:

I reshaped the hinges, added texture and lettering.

on the underside, I didn't do too much

I did, however make the periscopes turnable.

I did this by adding 2 little tanges and making a recess in the retaingin ring.

And here is the armored hull blower.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
:bowing

Very fine work.

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,365 Posts
Man! I LOVE this board! The level of skill and artistic talent is just amazing. Thank you, orntar for sharing this work-of-art-in-progress.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone!

Got some more details for the hull completed. I received my new lights, so I could finish the brush guards.

And I made a functional rear storage rack. Sorry for the dark pictures.

I added the cleaning kit mounts to the bottom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts