One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
^_^
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just want to share some pictures of my Private "Peter J. Coates", British Expeditionary Force Infantryman, Dunkirk 1940 Figure.

This is my first time looking at WW2 figures and gear, so please let me know if I have anything set up incorrectly, or any historical inaccuracy.

This is the first time I have ever had a DML figure, I was bought it as a gift, and I'm very happy with it.

I did some light weathering. I diluted some Vallejo acrylics and brushed it into the fabric with a hard bristled toothbrush, and I think it turned out okay. It's my first shot at weathering a figure. I then dry brushed some Tamiya acrylic on the helmet, and then rubbed some acrylic onto it with my finger. I can provide some pics if anyone wants to see the process.

Blousing his trousers was a bit of a pain, so I decided to wrap some elastic bands around his ankles to stop them moving about.

Once I've finished my 75th Ranger build, I think I'm going to have to turn my attention to some Modern Brits to go with him!

Thanks for looking ^_^

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Nice job!

I have a soft-spot for this figure as it's based on one I did of my father, which is why it has our family name 'Coates'. The three mods from http://www.onesixth.co.uk - myself, Pete 'Old Git' and Neil 'The Ulsterman' also helped DML with the figure.

·
^_^
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Pickle Munkey - Thanks for the link, I shall have a read

@Actionman - I've already read your thread over on Onesixth UK, it provided some excellent background of the figure, so thanks for that :)

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
He looks fine .
If you wanted him to be very authentic, you could repaint his helmet khaki.
British Mk.II helmets at that date were still khaki , roughly Vallejo 70921 " English Uniform". The dark green colour didn't come in until later.
But that's only nitpicking really.

·
^_^
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Tony Barton Thanks for the info, I'm a bit of a stickler for accuracy, especially when it comes to anachronisms, so I will almost definitely give it a coat of paint.

Do you have any photographs you could perhaps share of the right colour of a mkII from this period of the war (1:6 or otherwise)? I'm probably going to have to do some colour mixing to darken up some of the Khakis/Browns I used recently for a Challenger II build I did recently. The pictures a quick google search returned were quite hard to see :)

·
^_^
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, can anybody tell me about the entrenchment tool cover? This one is like square, with the tool just hanging complete from the belt, but majority pictures I have seen, it is normally in two parts and stored in a horizontal pouch on the lower back? When did each get introduced?

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
First , the colour of the helmets. The first one is dated on the liner 1939 :

The second is 1943 :

So as you can see they are not the very dark green , bu a khaki colour, not all that far from the colour of the uniform.

The entrenching tool you have on your figure is called the Lindemann pattern , and it was issued to and carried by the BEF in 1940.It's very similar to the type carried by many other countries, including the Germans.
After that campaign it was abandoned, and replaced by a copy of the WW1 type, which was the horizontal oval pouch with the head inside, and the handle in loops on the outside , which is presumably the one you are thinking of.
That was the standard type from 1942 onwards.

British uniforms and equipment didn't change a great deal during WW2 , but they did change a little, and these two items, the helmet and the E-tool are some of those changes.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Following on from what Tony said about the WW1 copy entrenching tool, the first type had a plain end:

When the No. 4 'spike' bayonet was introduced a new pattern shaft was issued with a bayonet fitting at the end. The spike bayonet could then be attacehd and used as a mine probe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.