One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm on a quest,

A quest to get DML to provide better boots for their figures. They sorted out the body, but, what is the point of having a super duper body if it won't stand up because the boots won't do what the feet can!?

Those awkward vinyl boots have to go! By all means have a vinyl sole but make pleather uppers with something approximating laces. They could even team up with New Line if needs be. Sure, the more moneyed among you would get New Line boots anyway, but, for those where DML is the only option, something needs to be done.

If you'd spent as many hours last night trying to get a damn figure to stand up as I did, you'd be with me

Let me hear your thoughts people...

CHEERS!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm all for DML changing the way they do their boots and leggings. But, as far as things that DML needs to change to better please their loyal customers, boots are at the bottom of the list.

I feel your pain about the vinyl boots though.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I agree Roger. But if DML wou'nt listen and get back in the game you can always swap the boots out for DID boots. Not as pricey as New Lines but a much better choice than the DML boots.
Anyways I find even the DML vinyl boots will stand if you use the K&J magnets I use for my figures. I know that's not the best answer, but it may help you till something better comes out.
Paul

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,207 Posts
I don't much mind what they're made of , I just wish they would make them smaller. Both the DML vinyl AND the Newline boots are overscale : in the case of the vinyl ones , it might be forgiveable because they have to be forced over the foot ; but the Newline ones have no excuse , since you can undo the laces to get them on.
As to getting your figure to stand up , I fear it's unlikely . I put brass pins through the boot and into the foot of all my figures , which solves the problem .

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
Well, that explains why I can always find Dragon boots cheap. They are great if I need to 'bash a fireteam or squad quickly.

As cool as the more realistic shoes (i.e. Newline) are, I find them kind of "fiddly" for my purposes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've always felt that DML boots 'looked' pretty good, especially the later, weathered ones, but yes, they are too hard and DML feet are too fragile (what was the point of the bending toe, anyway?

To me, the laced boots just look...dollish.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Tony Barton said:
I don't much mind what they're made of , I just wish they would make them smaller. Both the DML vinyl AND the Newline boots are overscale : in the case of the vinyl ones , it might be forgiveable because they have to be forced over the foot ; but the Newline ones have no excuse , since you can undo the laces to get them on.
As to getting your figure to stand up , I fear it's unlikely . I put brass pins through the boot and into the foot of all my figures , which solves the problem .
I think in the case of the New Line Miniature boots it might be because they were intended to fit over the older style, longer feet as well as the new designs out there. Yes, some people do put boutique 1/6th gear on vintage style Joe figures, which have quite the long feet. Originally, the DML vinyl boots used to fit the classic Joe feet, too, but they have shrunk them slightly over time. Granted they are not as small as the DID and possibly even the a.c.e. cloth & pleather boots out there, but at least we have choices.

·
Unabashed 5.11 Junky
3,866 Posts
This just in: Water is wet. The sky is blue. Cats and dogs don't get along. Film at 11.

The chances of anyone at DML (or just about any of the 1/6 producers) giving a crap what we think of their product are between none and sweet FA. Is there a single example of a company acquiescing to a hobbyist petition?

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably not, but, defeatism aside, I remember DML bought out the Neo3 which answered points I raised on here about figure articulation and it has been said in the past that companies do look at what we say.

I'm in the DML only camp which was why I made that comment. I wish I could get DID or New Line, but at the moment I'm reliant on one retailer and for them DML is it.

I'm glad some of you share my views, the only decent boots I've ever had were those that came with my Relic Hunter and were as described, vinyl soles with pleather uppers. When BBI did their Cy's the majority of them came with pleather boots which worked a treat, it's a pity they didn't do the same with the male figures though I suppose Takara were more to be thanked for the Cy boots than BBI.

Character Toys have some pretty decent footware on their figures and they're a fraction of the price of DML or DID. Theirs are flexible and as they pretty much copied DML's legs and feet, the shoes and sneakers fit like a glove. If a cheaper manufacturer can get it so right, you've got to wonder why the big boys can't.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
In the past, DML made modern US desert/jungle boots in cloth on a carded set and with one figure("Brian" iirc) - I don't think it's a matter of they can't do it but rather they don't want to...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I disagree and vote "no".

All these upgrades, betterments, etc. will only serve to jack up the price on what are still some of the best deals in 1/6.

And don't anybody even say that upgrading will be a crowd pleaser. 1/6ers will complain about anything, whether real or imagined.

I say keep the molded boots. They look really good with minimal effort and are economical. Let the aftermarket operations have their space by offering the upgrade stuff. No need to pull the rug out from under them by eliminating their market.

Personally, I've never had enough problems getting a fig to stand that I feel the need to complain about it. With a bit of imagination, it's possible to get even the most vertically-resistant fig to stay upright.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think DML did a good job with Brandon Chase's Cocorans. Once I had done a bit of repainting and a little bit more weathering, they looked way better than NLM's version.

I would buy strictly NLM's boots, but they are out of scale and look a bit "dollish" to me. DID's WWII US boots are in the same boat, except they look like orthopedic shoes.

Thats just me though.

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
some of DML's jackboots look good if you properly weather and texture them and give them a good simple pose. If it';s not a simple pose, i'l go IdD or NLM. the only vinyl boots that I beleive that are worth buying is bbi's Germn low boots.

·
Registered
257 Posts
das soldat said:
some of DML's jackboots look good if you properly weather and texture them and give them a good simple pose. If it';s not a simple pose, i'l go IdD or NLM. the only vinyl boots that I beleive that are worth buying is bbi's Germn low boots.
Yeah DML's Jackboots are pretty sweet. The low boots. . . Not so much. The Hans Meisser figure is supposed to have a different mold of short boots, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
All my 1/6th boots are rubbery plastic. My BBI figures all have their original BBI rubbery danner or Ranger boots, and all my Hasbro figures are sporting the softest DML straight tread Seal or Ranger style boots I could lay my hands on. They support the poses I need them to, they are economical, and are a vast improvement over the "off" looking boots they originally came with.

I do empathize, however, with those who don't have access to anything but one local retailer. I would be OK with someone like DML putting out cloth or pleather boots as accessories ... for upgraders who prefer that ... as long as they still had the rubbery plastic boots for the base / boxed figures.

My only issue with DML boots has been their inconsistency. If you buy enough of their boots over time you will find that the exact same boot design will have a perfect rubbery flex to it from one figure, and then a rock hard, completely inflexible texture with the next figure. Luckily I've been able to buy enough loose DML boots to pick out the rubbery ones. I have never had this issue with BBI boots, but they are too small for older Hasbro feet. For the most part all DML needs to do with their "vinyl" boots to make them even better is to make them more rubbery, more consistently ... IMHO.

Edit Note: Even with the softer vinyl type boots I still use a hair dryer to get them on. It makes things go so much nicer.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear you Mike, but when you're in my situation, broken ankles are not a laughing matter. Jackboots do work but I don't want jackboots for all my bashes.

Why would changing a boot style jack up the price!? Changing the body was more major and the prices didn't change. They CAN do it if they want to, they just think we all want Germans with their boots, which are the only ones that do work and can't be arsed to do different when it comes to anything else. The figures won't stand with them and we shouldn't stand for them

The next time I have trouble with a figure's footwear the results may not be pretty

CHEERS!

PS (After another late night session my Indy played ball but the fact that I had problems in the first place is the issue to address.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have over 500 figs of almost all the manufacturers and have been serious in the hobby for about 7 years. Never, not once, have I ever snapped an ankle or had any other calamity befall a footwear change. And believe you me, I change alot of boots.

A novice carpenter will always blame his tools rather than his lack of skill.

Maybe it's more about technique. A jiffy heat-up combined with a small dab of petroleum jelly in the boot.

Now, regarding how a multi-medium/material sewn/glued boot will affect price when a new body mod didn't apear to. Once the mold has been created (yes, still a costly step) any number of figures can be pulled from it, regardless of changes from a previous model.
Just how do you think those different elements and parts of those new boots are going to be drawn, cut, assembled, etc? With no mold, each pair will require some amount of skilled labor and time to create.

....and some of you will still complain.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're just lucky!

With those Very Hot boots being $10 I'm sure DML could come up with something. They did so before and I don't see why they can't again. And it's not lack of skill on my part believe you me! When both (note both, only two) foot accidents happened, I was being careful. I know how to get them on and off and have had experience when it comes to doing so.

They don't have to be uberboots like say New Line, Takara did good boots for the Cy's and kept the price in line with other figures. I never said they had to be complicated. They don't have to lace up, the lace part of the boot can be soft vinyl on a piece that glues onto the boot. You have the tongue bit and the laces moulded as one which go into eyelets on the boots. As long as the uppers themselves are flexible and fit the feet there should be no problem. I'm sure that could be done on a production line. If people took time out to think of the design, it needn't be complicated and shouldn't affect pricing.

Think outside the super duper high end stuff and things can be acheived

CHEERS!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.