One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Jeep is the top most recognized vehicles in the world and is the basis of most light reconnaissance vehicles in the world. Designed in 1940 by Bataam the Jeep was produced by Willis Overland and Ford. The Jeeps lineage can be traced straight to the HUMVEE of today. Many countries have copied the Jeep. The British has the Land Rover, The former Russians had the GAZ, the Japanese had the Type 95, and other countries have based vehicles off the Jeep. In fact the SUV of today is a direct descendant of the little Jeep. One of my most favorite vehicles of WWII is the Jeep. Nothing represents the can-do, lead from the front, good ole American mass produced goodness than the Jeep. Today I am reviewing the DML WWII ¼ ton "Truck". Why did DML use the term "Truck"? Chrysler own the name "Jeep" and charges tons of money to use the name. Tamiya made a 1/48th scale Jeep last year and didn't even refer to it so I have no problem with DML calling it a truck because that is what it was/is. To date there have been 4 companies that have made the Jeep. DML, Hasbro, 21st Century, and SOTW all have there plus's and minus's. Without intending to start an argument I have always felt that 21C and SOTW were the weakest of the 4. 21C was the most complete, with semi detailed under carriage, engine compartment, interior, soft-top, and cloth seats. SOTW was the most basic but they offered a variety that no one else has yet to come close to. Hasbro while neither as basic as SOTW or as complete as 21C had the most potential of all the Jeeps with a good clean body and semi detailed under carriage and with the release of the destroyed Jeep diorama we had access to useable leaf springs if one wanted to try to make the Hasbro Jeep into something a little more than it was. A few years ago I decided to re-make a Hasbro Jeep into what I intended to be the most complete 1/6th scale Jeep I could make using parts I had collected from Hasbro, 21C, and SOTW Jeeps. I wont go into detail as to what I did, There are pictures here and other message boards showing step by step as to how I did that. My goal here is to review the DML Jeep and to do that I will use my Jeep and a mint Hasbro Jeep to compare and contrast the differences between the DML and what I have.

Starting side by side we can see the size differences between the 3 trucks. The DML truck is slightly bigger overall but not noticeably so. In fact you have to do a close side by side just to see the difference.

Going to the underside you can see I made a valiant attempt to capture the details of the drive train but DML hit it out of the park
Mine

DML

Hasbro

DML did a superb job on the pioneer gear and other than the color of the straps there is nothing one needs to do here to improve upon them.

The back DML again did a superb job with the Jerrycan holder and tire mount

Moving to the front we can see DML really hit the mark on the windshield and other than adding some small chain not much needs to be done here.

The real shows the mounts for the canvas top and yes it is functional. Expect to see DML or one of our master craftsmen, customizers made a top for this in the future.

Moving to the interior you can see that DML did a great job but didn't go for 100% accuracy. Sure they could have but that would have caused the truck to be real brittle. I for one like what they did and maybe when DML makes this in Kit form I will make a 100% correct version.

Mine

Hasbro

The engine compartment is where DML just blew everyone out of the water. This plastic, not resin engine is without a doubt the best representation of the in-line 4 cylinder Go-Devil ever made. In fact the engine is the best made engine I have seen in this scale, sure it cold be better but why just look at the pictures and see for yourself.

Mine

In conclusion the DML Jeep, Truck, 4x4, er whatever is the best representation of the Jeep on the market today for 6th scale collectors. Sure there are things that could have been done better but any semi skilled modeler can make those changes themselves. I look forward to the kit version at $230.00 USD this version it about $60.00 more than it should be and I would expect the kit to retail somewhere around $150.00 (with engine one would hope) and that would put more Jeeps in more people's hands especially mine.

Money Shots

·
Super Moderator
9,154 Posts
John, I dunno man. DML did a absolutely fantastic job, but only a slightly better than the one you put together. Yours rocks, and for some reason, I kinda like the chunkier rods in the undercarriage you used.

·
Registered
908 Posts
John,Yours is a work to be proud of,the only things I would change on your undercarriage would be to copy DML's skid plate and fill the screw holes.I may be wrong but DML's driveshafts look too small in diameter.Easy to fix.Great review,I would be sorely tempted by a kit.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,117 Posts
Great review. The DML looks a shade wider. Outstanding. If I still did WWII I would have to get one, heck any one of those.

Jeep is what the soldiers started calling it. The original vehicle was called the GP for General Purpose (although I have heard of other arguements about what GP stands for), which got shortened into Jeep somehow. Jeep then became a brand name. Jeep was part of American Motors Coporation (AMC) ,and bought out by Chrysler in the 1980's. That's what I know of the subject.

edit: Just checked out Wikipedia GP may have also been G for Government use, and P for the length of the wheelbase, 80 inches (2000mm). There is a pile of cool stuff in there too. Good read. There are a ton of other links there too.

·
Old Jarhead
516 Posts
JEEP was also a critter from Popeye long before the GP came about. JEEP became GI slang for the GP by Willeys and Ford. I'm looking foward to getting mine from the Big Monkey. A really nice piece with a ton of potential projects from North Africa to New Guinea.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Thoughtful review sir. It made my 4 21st century jeeps look low class. But I still love it. They were what I can call the originals coz they came with a bang. When I started back in 98. they were the only one's available here in Canada. How u gold hold of it fast? I do not know how the other brands compare, but the looks of it...21st century is somewhat bigger all in all coz the way the figures sit. Correct me if i am wrong. 21st century should base their jeep platform 4 the humvee or reverse. It would have been better.

·
The Plastic Castaway
1,493 Posts
From what I recall they nicknamed it "Jeepy" which was short for the General Purpose "GP". They later just called it Jeep. Also heard it was named after that Popeye character because he could go anywhere and do anything. There's probably a lot of different versions of the Jeep name story floating around. Regardless...those are some cool vehicles. I think Dragon's is nice, but it's no better than the one you had in my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts