One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to attach the rifle valise to DML's Soldat III, "Harry Collins".

I know it goes on the left leg, and the velcro'ed loop on the end of the rope attaches to the parachute harness.

My question is: there's a webbing strap near the top end off the valise which has both a rectangular and a triangular metal fitting. Opposite is another short loop of webbing with another rectangular metal fitting.

I suspect it may be some sort fo quick release buckle, but how does it go together, and what does the webbing strap go around? It seems to high up to go around the Para's leg.

Thanks,

David.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I'm on the clock for a meet in a short while, but for now a brief descrip lifted from John Weeks' AIRBORNE EQUIPMENT - A History of it's Development:

A 20' line is supposed to attach to the valise mid-point, so that when lowered, it will hang horizontally. One strap on the bag goes around the right leg, the second strap around his neck.The end of the attachment rope is looped onto the right-hand leg strap of the chute harness. The sleeve is for safe lowering of the valise, and should have a loop on it, for the right hand to grip.

Neck and legstraps pull tight by means of sliding buckles (the ones you mentioned, I think). These were secured by quick-release pins, which both attached to the same line.

I'll try to fill out the details when I get back, and see if I can dig up the valise and parts to give it a hands-on look.

Cheers,
Mike

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Well, it took me a bit to marshal the materials and prep the figure. A few pics and a lot of stubborness were required to get the chute on him, for starters. Still, the rig seems accurately executed by DML.

The same can't be said for the valise, at least according to various sources. I had to detach the drop line from the one end, as that would've landed the weapon end-on. I moved the loop arond the center of the bag (and the rifle inside), just slipping it on as a hitch. The bag barely fits the rifle, and might either be a W.A.G. or perhaps from some sample they had which wasn't correct for the para rifle valise. The strap for around the neck is long enough, the other strap far too short to round the leg. I improvised for purpose of demonstration.

The slide for paying out the drop line has no strap to hold it onto the hand. Likewise, there's no safety pins weld by a common line. To make it all right will require a fair amount of rigging, and a new bag might be a good idea, and not that much more work.

Views of the hands in position for jumping. The end of the payout line has been attached to the right leg parachute harness strap​

Finally, a bit of PS work, showing the components needed to make things proper.

As I said, there were a few bugs in my path today, and it looks like my scanner is on the blink. That meant I couldn't scan a nice B&W pic of a para holding a rigged valise, featured on page 5 of the Osprey Elite #1 The Paras - British Airborne Forces 1940-1984, by Gregor Ferguson (with fine plates by Kevin Lyles). If you have access to a copy, it's worth a look. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can sort out my rogue scanner.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, PD, that is very useful..

Please let me bend over whilst you all kick me in the posterior - I've just checked my Harlan Glenn "King & Country - British Airborne" and there's an entire page on the damned thing. (Strangely I can't see anything in Bouchery's 'D-Day Paras: British, Canadians French')

I'll scan it and post it later.

RTFM? RTFB, ActionMan - DOH!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
No kicks from me, I've done the same myself. get enough books about you, and one can miss the forest for the trees. The "King & Country - British Airborne" is on my to be gotten list.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Gotta love these odd bits. That Sten leg bag's leather body is reminiscent of an old carrier i used to have, which was made to carry a broken down double barrel. It also accomodated my takedown 1897 Winchester pump (20" barrel).

Here's an even rarer bit I found at http://www.ima-usa.com/ the other day -

A bandolier for a Lanchester SMG's magazines​

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
That's intriguing, looks like DML's is a straight copy. Apparently it is a bit short, no fold over flap for the rifle butt. The strapping at the muzzle end appears to have a safety pin receiver. The small strap for the rifle butt would indicate that it's meant to be held "muzzle-down". It also appears rigged to lower the rifle in a vertical position.
I'm at a loss for the second strap, is it perhaps a loose item?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.