One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading/trolling and sometimes posting on the SSF thread about HTs WW and I am amazed at how polarized the people and their post are on that forum. "Oh I'm a huge sweaty super masculine man and I don't play with dolls so I cut my HTs WW's hair down to size so she's more like an action figure than a Barbie!!!!!" OR "I'm so sweet and nice and I've changed my WW Barbie's outfit out so my HTs WW figure simply looks soooooo much better than before OMG et." I'm not making this up BTY. What IS the difference between an action figure and a doll (if there is any) except gender specificity? Again, what's the difference other than that, and "dolls have combable hair and action figures (which usually are male but not always) do not?"

·
Registered
161 Posts
Within the realm of 1/6 or just generally speaking?

If its the former, well; for the most part these things are dolls. Frankly i find it silly that some people are cool with little men with entirely cloth costumes that you can dress up and pose but suddenly when its a girl or theres rooted hair or its pink or something now its a doll. Please...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If its the former, well; for the most part these things are dolls. Frankly i find it silly that some people are cool with little men with entirely cloth costumes that you can dress up and pose but suddenly when its a girl or theres rooted hair or its pink or something now its a doll. Please...
Good answer (especially since you're the first brave enough to tackle the question). SO, is IT ALL about one's GENDER? (If yes: F###$$$G LAME!).

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I wonder if any of the folks who complain about tactical HO ..... type figures will chime in?

·
Banned
259 Posts
I don't actually see a difference. I, myself, use both terms interchangeably. So I propose just going up the middle and calling them ALL "action dolls":smoking

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Action Dolls is very cool.

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
The way I look at it is this: dolls is a blanket term for fabric clothed figures. More action oriented dolls (such as action man from the 60's) are action dolls which gave birth to the action figure, a poseable doll (the figure part of the term) either clothed in fabric or made of plastic/metal/rubber that can be posed (the action part of the term).

Since most girls dolls are not based on military or movie/superhero subjects but rather focused on fashion or life model roles where articulation is not really necessary most of the time they are simply called dolls, while since most boys dolls are based on combat or interaction with vehicles etc where articulation, mechanical/electronic features or functionality are prioritised they are called action figures.

Most collectors have a mix of both. My Forest Gump is more like a doll, while Iron Man is more of a figure. A girls barbie is a doll but if she has a BBI Cool Girl Catwoman it would be an action figure.

At least that is how I see it.

I just call them figures no matter the type for simplicity.

In the end though it doesn't matter because the terms are used interchangeably by most adults, I think only kids and immature folk get their panties in a bunch over the distinction between doll and action figure.

Now, are they toys or collectables??? If I call your £350 figure a toy, is that accurate? Well, IMO it depends if it is designed for play or not.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, by name and reason: who are you that complained so much about tactical HO figures, why you complained so much about it (even though Phicen proves male and female figures are equal in their appearances and clothing options et) and how do you in (f???!!ng) 2017 answer this question rationally and honestly given all the factual evidence?

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
Again, by name and reason: who are you that complained so much about tactical HO figures, why you complained so much about it (even though Phicen proves male and female figures are equal in their appearances and clothing options et) and how do you in (f???!!ng) 2017 answer this question rationally and honestly given all the factual evidence?
I really dont get what you are on about, especially with the 'current year' thing

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The way I look at it is this: dolls is a blanket term for fabric clothed figures. More action oriented dolls (such as action man from the 60's) are action dolls which gave birth to the action figure, a poseable doll (the figure part of the term) either clothed in fabric or made of plastic/metal/rubber that can be posed (the action part of the term).

Since most girls dolls are not based on military or movie/superhero subjects but rather focused on fashion or life model roles where articulation is not really necessary most of the time they are simply called dolls, while since most boys dolls are based on combat or interaction with vehicles etc where articulation, mechanical/electronic features or functionality are prioritised they are called action figures.

Most collectors have a mix of both. My Forest Gump is more like a doll, while Iron Man is more of a figure. A girls barbie is a doll but if she has a BBI Cool Girl Catwoman it would be an action figure.

At least that is how I see it.

I just call them figures no matter the type for simplicity.

In the end though it doesn't matter because the terms are used interchangeably by most adults, I think only kids and immature folk get their panties in a bunch over the distinction between doll and action figure.

Now, are they toys or collectables??? If I call your £350 figure a toy, is that accurate? Well, IMO it depends if it is designed for play or not.
Love this answer. I was wondering if anyone would use the posable vs. not posable answer. But this is a close as you can get to it honestly. Still why do some (besides maturity level and maybe that's IT) need a classification? And ESPECIALLY if you took interest in the "TH" conversation : Answer the question!!!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's 2017!!!!!!!!! If you are not past the dolls vs.action figures thing (or male vs. female thing) by now you may never be. Enjoy playing with your "dolls!!!!".

·
Registered
577 Posts
When I used to buy Action Man "figures" straight from UK dealers a few years ago, they referred to them as "dolls" that to me, was a great non-issue as implied by their ambivalence to the difference in terms. But for me, the difference is whether it's sugar and spice and everything nice, vs. snips and snails and puppy dog tails, lol. I, btw, collect both and what they have in common in my collection, is that some are boxed and stored away while most are on display more or less in permanent poses. On an interesting note, the sale of one Fashion Integrity doll funded my purchase of the HT Han and Chewy set, so it was nice that one end of my hobby was useful for the other end.

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
Ok, after multiple reads of your posts I think I get what you are asking. You are asking how the people who complain about 'tactical ho' figures differentiate between dolls and action figures right? (Ignoring the 'its 2017' thing which seems senseless to me because the current year has little to do with the subject at hand, unless you are referring to the term itself and how it is offensive and that is somehow sexist or something).

If the dolls are dressed for the purpose of looking sexy I think they still fall under the doll category tbh as it is essentially still dressing for fashion.

I think the 'tactical hooker' label is applied to many female figures because they are often very unrealistic depictions of military uniforms or other outfits with no thought given to practicality. A girl in camo hotpants and barely there vest is not going to be very camoflaged in the battlefield or protected from debris in battle (same issue as fantasy female armour) and such skimpy outfits are often worn by ladies of the night so the term 'tactical hooker' seems fitting actually. If male figures get dressed in equally sexy and impractical outfits then I think its perfectly fair to call them 'tactical gigolos' too. Its just that the market isn't flooded with such dolls (well, IIRC there are some gay dolls out there for sale in skimpy outfits but they arent usually in military or action themed costumes) so we dont often hear people say 'oh great, another tactical gigolo doll :doh ' . There are however loads of the female variety so 'oh great, another tactical hooker doll :doh ' type comments are common. And yes, despite the usual fantasy or military themes of such tactical ho figures, the focus on the fashion does (as I already said above) put them in the doll category for most people I think. I still just call them figures no matter the subject.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Ok, after multiple reads of your posts I think I get what you are asking. You are asking how the people who complain about 'tactical ho' figures differentiate between dolls and action figures right? (Ignoring the 'its 2017' thing which seems senseless to me because the current year has little to do with the subject at hand, unless you are referring to the term itself and how it is offensive and that is somehow sexist or something).

If the dolls are dressed for the purpose of looking sexy I think they still fall under the doll category tbh as it is essentially still dressing for fashion.

I think the 'tactical hooker' label is applied to many female figures because they are often very unrealistic depictions of military uniforms or other outfits with no thought given to practicality. A girl in camo hotpants and barely there vest is not going to be very camoflaged in the battlefield or protected from debris in battle (same issue as fantasy female armour) and such skimpy outfits are often worn by ladies of the night so the term 'tactical hooker' seems fitting actually. If male figures get dressed in equally sexy and impractical outfits then I think its perfectly fair to call them 'tactical gigolos' too. Its just that the market isn't flooded with such dolls (well, IIRC there are some gay dolls out there for sale in skimpy outfits but they arent usually in military or action themed costumes) so we dont often hear people say 'oh great, another tactical gigolo doll :doh ' . There are however loads of the female variety so 'oh great, another tactical hooker doll :doh ' type comments are common. And yes, despite the usual fantasy or military themes of such tactical ho figures, the focus on the fashion does (as I already said above) put them in the doll category for most people I think. I still just call them figures no matter the subject.
I disagree with this. Even if some don't like the "tactical ho." iterations, it does not make them dolls, versus, say a "Rambo" figure which can still be considered a "tactical ho" , if for no other reason than the whole franchise it produced. I can't wrap my mind around the whole "action figure" is what guys say and " dolls" is what girls say. To me it's idiotic. Other than obvious physiological differences, all figures work the same way. Call them "action figures" "dolls" "Eggbert"...doesn't matter, at the end of the day they are nothing more than extensions of our human imagination, be it an adult or a child. While I can understand the point of the OP, I can't understand the human race's propensity to give different names to the same thing. Again, they are all "action dolls"

G

·
Well according to most Sideshow freakouts, they're "high end collectible art pieces".

Don't make me laugh. They're dolls. Call it what it is.

We all play with dolls. The fancy nancy titles are to make us feel less silly about it, and it's not just us with our "high end collectible art pieces" either. All hobbies have important sounding names, because "playing with toys" as adults is perceived as wrong or silly by the mass media/TV/Movies.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Purely down to spelling for me. I have to confess I dozed off in the few psychology courses I took though.

·
Warning: Choking Hazard !
1,392 Posts
Not sure why this is (still) an issue to some.
"I collect dolls and often play dress up with them" is my answer to people who ask me what I like doing in my free time.
"No, my dolls don't do tea parties, but I have 1/6 scaled assets who are part of a trained elite strike force capable of conducting highly coordinated and extremely precise strikes on same scale enemy targets".
I'll share/show with them pictures of what I've done or have in my doll collection if they are interested to know more, but don't waste time trying to explain further if I get an "oh..um okay" kinda answer.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned is the connotations of the term 'doll' compared to 'action figures'

Dolls, for most people outside of the hobby, make them think of toys, whereas action figures are more like collectibles, and therefore have a more 'respectable' kind of feel.

Regarding the articulation/clothing thing, if they were the main things to distinguish between dolls and figures, I'd say these days the line between them is getting very blurred as quality is rising on both sides.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure why this is (still) an issue to some.
"I collect dolls and often play dress up with them" is my answer to people who ask me what I like doing in my free time.
"No, my dolls don't do tea parties, but I have 1/6 scaled assets who are part of a trained elite strike force capable of conducting highly coordinated and extremely precise strikes on same scale enemy targets".
I'll share/show with them pictures of what I've done or have in my doll collection if they are interested to know more, but don't waste time trying to explain further if I get an "oh..um okay" kinda answer.
You get "I love your answer" kind of answer! Please show!!!!!

1 - 20 of 188 Posts