One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Sf were allowed to deviate from wearing regular uniform, but most pics I see have them wearing at least desert camo pants, with other civilian clothing on top.
Is it possible that SF in Afghanistan would wear 511 tactical pants?

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,365 Posts
The short answer is yes. BUT The Geneva Conventions give protections to, as well as place responsibilities on soldiers wearing a uniform. That's why you normally see SF soldiers wearing DCUs or ACUs when engaged in combat operations. That's also why the first thing that an insurgent force (e.g. the FARC or ELN) that wants to be accepted as a legitimate force does is to adopt a uniform.

I won't say that SF soldiers never wear 5.11s, and it would be an accurate depiction to put an SF 'bash in them, but there are considerations that most people don't usually take into account when choosing the clothing for their figs.

·
BBi Fanboy
2,210 Posts
There's a photo of a SF ODA standing in front of the US Embassy in Kabul with Col. Mulholland, and almost everyone, if not everyone, in the photo is wearing civilian clothing. Some of the guys appear to be wearing 5.11-style pants.

On MP.net, there used to be a member's photo album showing SF guys in A-stan, and they were wearing civilian clothing (jeans or cargo pants) and armed with SIG assault rifles and HK MP5s.

·
Cyber-Bully
956 Posts
You could do both. It sucks that it's gone now, but www.militaryphotos.net used to have an extensive photo album for troops in Afghanistan, and in there you could see that there were quite a lot of SF guys wearing civvie stuff, but there were also a lot of guys wearing standard uniform.

It seems that guys who were going into combat stuck to wearing DCU, which would make sense considering the Geneva Convention only protects soldiers in uniform and what not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts