Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
300 Posts
It looks like the pieces are pre-weathered which will rule it out for me. I like weathering but I want to do it myself.

·
Brit Basher
2,509 Posts
DiD updated their loose body a few years ago and its definitely a solid enough item. It is a world away from the horror show of a body they had from the beginning. I'm not sure if you are referring to that one or if you still believe their updated one is bad?

I agree Michigan Dawg. Pre-weathered items are an immediate no for me. DiD typically offer two sets - clean and dirty - so hopefully there's at least that option. If it had to be a case of one or the other, I'd much prefer a totally clean figure.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Looks nice, however I hope the price reflects the lack of ... stuff. The weapons and captured pieces are nice but still doesn't amount to much
Not sure what more you could be expecting....seems to have everything an officer would carry for the job at hand.....

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree Michigan Dawg. Pre-weathered items are an immediate no for me. DiD typically offer two sets - clean and dirty - so hopefully there's at least that option. If it had to be a case of one or the other, I'd much prefer a totally clean figure.
I know they use to do that but they appear to be altering that trend. With the combat medic Dixon, their last previous release, they only issued a weathered version. Perhaps they have data that says a majority of their customers prefer a weathered version...but unfortunately I'm not one of them. I really wanted that combat medic but was only going to get it if a clean unweathered version was released. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
315 Posts
OK- since DID likes to base their head sculpts on actors, who in "Hollywood-dom" is this meant to represent, and from which film?

·
Nactu...Pheractu...Nictu?
2,318 Posts
Not sure what more you could be expecting....seems to have everything an officer would carry for the job at hand.....
The job at hand clearly being a dismounted attack, and pretty much nothing else - even troops/officers on a short patrol would carry more kit. He's got 2 spare mags, canteen and very little else .. a bandolier, pack, more pouches, ANYTHING would be nice. It just feels to me like there's something missing. What I'm expecting, onesixthpolice, is value for money - not what I consider to be an incredibly lightly-equipped figure. As a kitbasher I prefer more parts (and options).

Perhaps I'm old-fashioned - the last DID figure I have is Ed Stein who came with multiple weapons and packs. (That's the one I'm referring to, Oppl).

·
i draw pictures.....
2,045 Posts
perhaps the only things missing here are more mags, ammo pouches and some grenades. pacific troops often carried less gear than their European counterparts...in case some of you didn't know that. i have no problem with the weathering, there are ways to paint and work with that...

peace
Miguel

·
Nactu...Pheractu...Nictu?
2,318 Posts
And in my original post you'll notice that I mentioned he is in fact light on ammo and pouches. A figure with fatigues, a shovel and nothing else would be 100% accurate for a soldier on trench-digging detail - great, but would it be appealing to a kitbasher?

I'm sure this figure will make plenty of collectors happy and it looks nice overall. Perhaps it's accurate - that being said, as a kitbasher I would prefer more gear and therefore more options/value for money. That's all I'm saying.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
The job at hand clearly being a dismounted attack, and pretty much nothing else - even troops/officers on a short patrol would carry more kit. He's got 2 spare mags, canteen and very little else .. a bandolier, pack, more pouches, ANYTHING would be nice. It just feels to me like there's something missing. What I'm expecting, onesixthpolice, is value for money - not what I consider to be an incredibly lightly-equipped figure. As a kitbasher I prefer more parts (and options).

Perhaps I'm old-fashioned - the last DID figure I have is Ed Stein who came with multiple weapons and packs. (That's the one I'm referring to, Oppl).
Well, maybe they out-fitted this one with the same gear the actor had in the movie.....???

Anyway, if you're looking for value for money in a hobby....this ain't that hobby anymore....just sayin'.....

·
Registered
799 Posts
Not bad, not bad at all.:thumb

Hmmm, is that prop an Arisaka Type 99 with a monopod???
Never saw one of those since the BBI Marine from the 90s.

Perhaps a teaser for a new Japanese soldier?:popcorn

C'mon 3R bring it on!:gimme

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not bad, not bad at all.:thumb

Hmmm, is that prop an Arisaka Type 99 with a monopod???
Never saw one of those since the BBI Marine from the 90s.

Perhaps a teaser for a new Japanese soldier?:popcorn

C'mon 3R bring it on!:gimme
Actually, the Japanese figure shown is 3R's latest- IJA 1st Lieutenant "Sachio Eto", Battle of Okinawa, which was announced in Feb . . . should be released sometime this month or next . . . Check it out on 3R's website- it's quite an impressive piece-just pre-ordered one myself.

So I guess this latest release by DID is meant to be a "companion" piece to 3R's . . .

·
Registered
799 Posts
@djamesi
No, I'm referring to the #22 photo near the bottom- the out-of-focus props with the rifle and bayonet.
The uniform shown is half-sleeve tropical shirt, and the rifle is a Type 99 Arisaka- never been made by 3R... yet.:wink

I did pre-order the Japanese officer, looks great that's why I ordered 2:gimme

·
REDBARON_VI
270 Posts
Nice figure. I hope its not that pricey unlike their medic release. You can easily kitbash this kind of set up from DML/SS stuffs.

·
i draw pictures.....
2,045 Posts
Well, maybe they out-fitted this one with the same gear the actor had in the movie.....???

Anyway, if you're looking for value for money in a hobby....this ain't that hobby anymore....just sayin'.....
well, that's about right!

namaste
Miguel

·
Registered
799 Posts
perhaps the only things missing here are more mags, ammo pouches and some grenades. pacific troops often carried less gear than their European counterparts...in case some of you didn't know that. i have no problem with the weathering, there are ways to paint and work with that...

peace
Miguel
I kinda agree with LizardKing here.
Perhaps the officer gear that seem to be lacking- binoculars, map case, compass, grenades- are nice to have, but the difference is negligible at best.
Those loose parts are easier to get elsewhere, and cheaply.

I'd rather have the Katana, Nambu pistol and the battle flag- spoils of war.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts