One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· retired firefighter
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys during the first gulf war was the shemagh popular with are special forces units? also as far as weapons for green berets and delta operators would the weapons used in Blackhawk down by delta operators work for spec forces and delta guys? thanks for the help

· Nactu...Pheractu...Nictu?
2,337 Posts
I'm no expert on the topic but I'd stick with a mesh scarf as opposed to the shemagh, which I believe became popular among SOF beginning with Op Enduring Freedom in 2001 (correct me if I'm wrong). For weapons, yes CAR-15s with lots of little modifications work, but given that SOF missions in Desert Storm tended to be recon and sniper oriented (vs CQB missions, like in Somalia) I would consider longer-range weapons such as M16s (with M203s), M40s and M21s. Also you might want to consider camouflaging the weapons with burlap straps and spray paint.

· Registered
10 Posts
You can also search for photos from the SAS team from the book Bravo Two Zero to get an idea of the kit special ops were using. US SF units were running similar missions.

Also during my time in LRS many utilized olive drab kerchiefs or scarves

· Web Research Junkie
1,606 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.