One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Which would be better to buy the DC joker or the Hot Toys joker.

HT has socks and the gloves look close to the ones worn in the movie.

The DC one is a little cheaper on the wallet.

It is not much, but postage to OZ is the killer. Well hear from all in time.

Maluis

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got the DC one, and love it! I wouldn't buy the HT one because the sculpt doesn't even look like Heath, and the asking price is ridiculous. If you're going for price, and likeness go with DC, but if you want a better detailed Joker go with HT.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Save a bit more and get the one from Hot Toys. The one from HT may be expensive, but you get what you are paying for and that is quality and great attention to detail on the figure.. So I suggest you get the one from Hot Toys!

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you want an expressionless figure of Jack Skellington as the Joker, go with DC...if you want a figure with character and personality(like the Joker should have) and superb quality and tailoring; get the HT fig.

·
Yeeah boyee!!!
691 Posts
Each has it's own charm. I think that the HT one is a much more expressive piece, yet the DC version has the real-scan Heath Ledger headsculpt. However the DC head is a little large and is in desperate need of a repaint, the HT paint is a little too subtle but much easier to modify if you want to. All in all, though the DC version is good I would go with the HT as an investment more than anything else, in case it turns into another Celtic or Ani-Com Predator, ouch!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm ordering the hot toys version of the joker, was also wondering about the most effective way to go about adding more eye makeup and perhaps bring out the scarring a little bit more.

I'm probably going to order through animate international, are they any good? is there any place better right now? because my last experience with ebay left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The guy I ordered my enterbay WOD bruce lee from said he had it on hand when he actually didnt'. I waited a month before it was shipped to him, then 2 more weeks before it got to me.

Also, should I repaint it? or leave it with it's factory paint job?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would say if you could, buy Hot Toys figure but snag a DC direct Joker headsculpt from someone and repaint it, its likeness to Heath after a repaint is uncanny.
DoctorJones, the HT one looks nice as is but if you want variation on the paint, you could simply add it yourself with a little touch ups :)

Chris

·
Registered
428 Posts
Here's option C...

I had the opportunity to pick up another DC Direct Joker and decided to experiment with it. Having a Hot Toys Joker on the way, I decided to make a "Prisoner Joker". I popped the head off of the DC Direct figure and planted it on a True Type body I got recently. The clothing is also from the DC figure and fits very nicely. The pants are a tad long, but it helps hide the fact that he has no socks. Pictures don't do it justice, but the head fits really well. Certain pix make him look like his head is a bit too big, but in reality it looks perfect. I sculpted some more hair to try and make him look a little less slicked back and re-did the paint to make him look all roughed up. Now I can have a scene specific Joker without having to undress my Hot toys one when it arrives....

·
Registered
5 Posts
good evening (ladies?) and gentle men. just joined this fab forum finally after poking around a bit.

i love the craftsmenship and detail of the hot toys figure but the lack of resemblence to heath ledger makes it a miss for me. the dc direct figure obviously isnt as detailed as the HT but the likeness is spot on. and given my propensity to modify and "improve" my figures i figured i would rather mess around with a $70 figure than be unsatisfied with a $150 one so...

though i would share my customized dcd 13 inch joker to get some constructive critiques...

i repainted the face and hair, starched and ironed his clothing to make it sit better, painted dirt and makeup onto the overcoat, as well as added a darker purple to the coat and pants to the cloth a bit of depth, adding some green highlights and distress to the vest, gave the shoes a wash to bring out the detail, and added a accurate chain.

still planning on fixing his hair and adding socks (suggestions?) and repainting his gloves to a much darker and more accurate purple.

any comments are welcome but be gentle!

·
Registered
45 Posts
While the HT Joker may not be ledger, I honestly haven't seen any figure that is, really. Even the DC direct figure just doesn't look it to me.

The stock paint and detailing on the HT head is fantastic, in my mind, too.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts