One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Date Masamune was a samurai of the Azuchi-Momoyama period through early Edo period and was regarded as an outstanding tactician.

I was really glad when I saw DID produce this figure, as it was a breath of fresh air. However, although the line is now well established,the pictures of mass-produced items did look a little at ends with scale. The hands were invisible under his hand protectors and his stature was tall as a result of the DID bodies. The raps around the shine protectors and arms also looked bulky. Nevertheless, I was amazed with the detail of the armour pieces, once again I take my hat of to you DID.

I bought all the pieces from this figure loose, which can be a false economy and in this instance did me no favours as all the loose pieces seemed to be hastily taken off the boxed figure, so a lot of the amour had to be reattached before trying to put it on to the figure, which was not much fun. Another issue I had was trying to get some decent references, so I used the new spec figures book and some pictures of Japanese re-enactors to put most of the tricky parts together, like the sandals and helmet straps. I used a standard Dragon body with the usual slice and dice to round off the shoulders and reduce his height. I also used TT hands which are possible the best looking ones in 1/6 scale for sale.

I did not care much for the DID head sculpts (the international versions) so the project went on hold for at least a year until I saw a decent one on OSS, which reflected the character properly. One aspect of this was the sculpts missing eye. As a child, smallpox robbed Masamune of sight in his right eye. Another catalyst was Vandalus Date Masamune painted sculpt, which I commissioned him to replicate. I really loved the pure skin tones that he creates and how he emphasised the missing eye.
Thanks once again Vandalus.

Cheers Folks, thanks for looking.

·
Jawa
1,593 Posts
Great figure, I am very jealous! The headsculpt looks excellent. Top notch work all around!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Fantastic work, the figure is awesome. I find that I really like all of the DiD Samurai (actually almost all of the DiD figures) but I have stayed away from the Samurai out of a lack of money from getting caught up in them (since all of my money is going to my military figures).

·
Registered
936 Posts
:clap:clap:clap
An biggest work , one of some more excellents samurais in 1/6 .
Me like much , it's fantastic , genial
A lot of congratulations

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow, I love it! I've been staring at DIDs Date figure for a year, always coming close to clicking the buy button but backing down over the headsculpt and assumption that no quality Asian sculpts are on the market. Where did you get this sculpt? Is it resin? I'd love to score one. Also, fantastic job on the posing and base. Did you keep the DID body? What did you use for the grass?

·
Welcome to my Life....
1,081 Posts
Awesome work, that sculpt is great , i used it on a samurai of mine as well.

·
Old Jarhead
516 Posts
DID's Japanese versions of the Samurai have better head sculptures on them. I was lucky to get Naomasa and Shingen in the Japanese version. I have the internation version on Masamune and wouldn't mind getting this custom head. A great job by the way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts