One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
If you want to double up on the strength of the repair, employ a pin vise and bit to drill out the contact points, and pin it with short lengths of metal round stock/wire.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi,

Goodole' super glue always fixes the shelf divers weapon systems.
With respect, I have found that super glue can work, but over time it can fail. As it does not bond the two pieces together, it only bonds on itself and eventually it will break again.

As a modeller for some years, I have found that a mixture of poly glue and plastic sprue melted in to it. Is the best glue for repairing plastic parts, as I have found that it becomes a liquid plastic. And when used on pieces like model aircraft and 1/6th weapons, it can make the piece stronger than it was before.

Poly glue in the UK - AE2500 Liquid Poly - 28ml Bottle Humbrol

Gary

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
For the fine parts of these small weapons, super glue works quite nicely. Scrape away any paint that might be on the mating surfaces.

If it comes loose in 10 years, what the hell. Glue it again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Super glue works very good. But be carefull. Also the steam of Super Glue is aggressive and coulde be dangerous to your eyes and respiratory system. First you have to sanding off all the remaining Color an roughness in the area you want to fix. The surface should be flat and clean. Also Little holes can improve the halt. When you roughen the surface the super glue can much better stick on and you will have a permanent join. Also if you blow a Little bit over the super glue it will dry faster because of the humidity in your breath. That is the reason why super glue is very dangerous if it has contact with eyes or any moistness areas. That is the reason why super glu is used under extreme conditions to close little wounds very fast.

For an double fix you can also drill holes in both parts and use some wire to connect the parts like already said.

·
BANNED
1,049 Posts
Hi,

With respect, I have found that super glue can work, but over time it can fail. As it does not bond the two pieces together, it only bonds on itself and eventually it will break again.
Hmm, you may not been using the right glue, or may have been applying it wrongly. Sounds to me what you're describing is more of an adhesive than actual superglue.

Anyway, for anyone requiring tips with superglue - don't put too much, make sure the joining pieces are clean and absolutely aligned and tight (no gaps), and wait for it to dry overnight for maximum effect.

The times when it doesn't work for me, I have either:

1.) put too much which prevents it from drying properly, and allows air to sip into the glue between the bonded parts. Then when it does dry, it can crack down the road.

2.) not aligned the parts properly, meaning bonding is not perfect and the surfaces merely get coated with the glue that dies up. This causes problems later because if I tried redoing it, the surfaces have changed due to the added glue layer, and will be even further misaligned.

For such a small part with a clean snap like the rifle in question, a tiny dollop just enough to cover the peg surface, held together accurately and tightly for couple of minutes, and then few hours to dry, should keep it together for a long time. If it breaks again due to handling, you might be too heavy handed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.