One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stage 1 of this DAK Panzer Grenadier build.

I bought this excellent Alert Line uniform set a while back. I was particularly drawn to the DAK greatcoat which is included, and this figure will be wearing that and eventually placed running along side my DAK Kettenkrads. As you can see I started with the Alert Line set and an array of other spares I already have. I will be deciding which equipment etc I will be using as I go along. The figure is a basic DiD figure with the Otto Carius head sculpt.

IMG_2207.jpg

I used the Alert Line shirt and jacket as these are both great items. The breeches are DiD as alert line only supply the basic straight leg trousers and I wanted to this figure to have the breeches. The Alert Line trousers are ok but they do not have the material belt that german tropical uniform trousers have. The boots are the Alert Line ones too, and I think these are very well done. I added basic insignia to the jacket from the pieces supplied with the Alert Line set. This will be underneath the greatcoat eventually. I also have painted the waffenfarb dark green on one set of the Alert Line epaulets to represent Panzer Grenadiers. These will be used on the greatcoat.

Shirt and breeches
IMG_2208.jpg

Jacket and boots
IMG_2209.jpg

Basic insignia added to jacket
IMG_2211.jpg

Waffenfarb painted dark green on one set of epaulets, original white versions also included
IMG_2210.jpg

More to follow soon as I get more of this figure put together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Looking very good so far....though I wouldn't bother with the greatcoat as it's not the correct colour, totally off, they copied the Soldier Story DAK greatcoat instead of checking to find out the correct colour themselves.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I mentioned the color issue on the greatcoat to Steven at Timewalker, and he produced a pair of DAK books from his stock of really nice books. The color photos taken during the campaign included some definitely darker brown greatcoats, along with the more olive types. The pics seem to be in good shape, leaving one to wonder how much color variation there was from manufacturers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thats interesting Chelseaboy. I am wondering where the idea that brown is the "incorrect" colour has come from? and what in your opinion is the correct colour?

For my part I feel I have a better than average knowledge regarding equipment issued to Heer units within the DAK as my interest in the DAK goes beyond my 1/6 figures, and I have researched it extensively over the past few years whilst collecting many items of quality reproduction and original DAK kit. I am currently looking for a good quality 1/1 reproduction DAK greatcoat for my collection, as alas I am not able to afford a genuine example. I am currently considering one from here: DAK Tropical Greatcoat (Mantel) in brown wool | Luftwaffe Supplies

I am not so aware regarding the later Pazer Armee Afrika which I believe was probably issued more European kit alongside Tropical items.

Almost all the surviving wool greatcoats I have come across which are definitely attributed to DAK soldiers are some shade of brown, ranging from a dark fawn to chocolate brown.
A quick web search for "DAK greatcoat" will also show many examples in the various shades of brown too, although I am loathed to rely too much on what I see on the net.
Period colour photos also show coats in brown shades, and some black and white photos could also be interpreted as being a shade of dark brown.
Lastly what I would consider to be the seminal volume on DAK equipment, "Afrikakorps: Army. Luftwaffe. Kreigsmarine: Tropical Uniforms, Insignia & Equipment of the German Soldier in World War II.", by Robert Kurtz, has a surviving example of a DAK tropical Greatcoat in very good condition which is dark but not quite chocolate brown. The text of this excellent reference book also notes that " A chocolate brown wool material was most commonly used on early overcoats".
Other overcoats used by the DAK are indeed different colours, for example the Heer motorcycle mantel was it seems most often an olive cotton material, while the Luftwaffe version of the motorcycle overcoat seem to have been a tan cotton material.

This coat from Alert Line does seem to fall within what I would consider to be an appropriate colour for a DAK greatcoat. I can't definitively say that it is "right" or "wrong" but it certainly sits within what is possibly ok from my own research. If I were to criticise anything about it, it would be the lining which is full length in a brown satin/rayon type material instead of the the olive cotton duck 1/2 length lining most often seen, or the finished bottom edge which was usually left as a raw edge.
I have not had the Soldier Story great coat in hand to assess its colour, but from photos it may be a little dark, but is also close to the dark end of what I would consider acceptable. The Alert Line appears to be a lighter shade than the Soldier Story.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A little update on progress today.

Greatcoat with epaulets fitted.

IMG_2213.jpg

Tropical cap with repainted waffenfarb drying before applying it.

IMG_2216.jpg

and belt equipment and A frame played out.

IMG_2215.jpg

There are 2 sets of ammo pouches as I am not sure yet which I will use. The brown ones are from Alert Line, and the black I am not sure about.
My understanding is that brown pouches were to be found in the DAK, but that black was more often seen.
I don't think either set is particularly convincing but they are what I have to use at the moment.

I am using the Alert Line belt gear except for the bayonet and scabbard, entrenching tool and cover, canteens and mess tin these are all DiD parts as is the Aframe and A frame pack.

More to follow as I get things done.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I'm enjoying the transition from boxed set to finished figure. In the display case at Timewalker, they have the set displayed, including the uniform on a mannequin. It is apparent that the quality is better than DML's similar offering from the past. The DML stuff is still quite desirable, but AL's material and tailoring are quite handsome.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks pukingdog, i'm beginning to enjoy this a bit now. I'm a bit lacking in motivation at the moment.

There is no doubt for me that the Alert Line set is great, and has some very good pieces and some great pieces included. I only do DAK in terms of WWII figures and this set is some of the best yet I think. I really like the jacket, it look great, and seems well made too.

I still use some of the dragon gear and have several of the Dragon DAK figures MIB too, I will quite often just snap up DAK equipment when it turns up.

I like some of the equipment from the DiD Luca figure too but uniform wise I find it limiting that the tunic has the NCO tress on the collar.

Here I am using what I think is the best of the Alert Line kit, and the best of what I have collected from other makers to hopefully pull off a convincing DAK panzer grenadier.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, a bit more done this morning.

Greatcoat and scarf fitted, and waffenfarb and roundel added to the tropical cap.

IMG_2217.jpg

Basic belt equipment and Y strap assembled.

IMG_2220.jpg
IMG_2221.jpg

More to follow soon.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alert line goggles added, and belt kit and Y straps fitted. I ditched the Alert Line gas mask canister as the strap with the belt hook on it was probably twice as long as it needed to be which prevented it from sitting nicely with the other kit. I went with this dragon one as I thought the strap gave a nice contrast too.

IMG_2223.jpg
IMG_2224.jpg

Next I tucked the Alert Line tropical cap behind the Y straps, and added the A frame and canteens.

IMG_2225.jpg
IMG_2226.jpg

The last 4 pics are the completed figure before I get round to posing it. Here I have added the Alert Line helmet, and some DiD grenades. I also opened one of the ammo pouches and put a couple of clips in it, and added a further clip of ammo under one of the ammo pouch flaps. Ive seen this as a way of carrying extra ammo, or carrying the rounds needed for a rifle grenade. The rifle is from DiD, as the Alert Line one looked too plastic to my eye. The rifle sling has been shortened.

IMG_2229.jpg
IMG_2231.jpg
IMG_2232.jpg
IMG_2233.jpg

The next stage will be to work out his pose and place him in my Kettengrad diorama.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
He's turned out well, and loaded up nicely. Those boots are so sharp, a few years ago, they would have been rubber and bulky. In real life, I would find their lengthy stringing tiresome, despite their protective qualities. I imagine they were truly a matter of individual preference, for DAK soldiers.

There's been comment about the canvas entrenching tool carrier, and while there are some questionable images out there, I've been trying to find some hard references, one way or the other. Militaria offerings seem only to muddy the water further, along with the German mixing of leather and canvas components during the war.

AL has given us some excellent and badly needed materials, as well as opening up fresh interest in the desert war.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks pukingdog, I’m pleased with him so far.

I have a pair of those hi leg tropical boots and yes they take some lacing up lol. Once on they are however surprisingly comfortable and I imagine they would be very good at keeping out the sand. They do turn up regularly in pictures of DAK troops, and I suspect that the idea that they were not popular is a more modern phenomena based on how they look to us today. Having tried them I think they have a lot more utility than is immediately obvious from how they look. Interestingly original boots often turn up in unmatched pairs, different makers etc. Which lends credence to the idea that DAK would often issue items in a pile, and troops would pick out what fitted them. I believe there were eventually 3 different patterns of hi leg tropical boot issued.

I know about the canvas shovel covers being controversial too, and I am afraid that here I have gone with what I have. My 1/1 kit has a brown leather version, and I would have rather used that type here to, but I would have to source one and the canvas ones I already have. I suspect that many of the surviving canvas examples are actually late war general issue items and not attributable to DAK at all.

I have to agree the AL set is excellent and has indeed brought what is possible in 1/6 DAK up to date and opened up a lot more possibilities. I love it, it’s a great set.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I would certainly agree with you that both types of wool greatcoat worn by the DAK without any doubt varied in shades of Olivegrun to a light chocolate brown, but certainly not as dark as the AL & SS versions ( I know DAK used British khaki greatcoats taken from storage at Tobruk) but hey, your happy with it so really that's all that matters :thumb, DAK wore black leather K98 ammo pouches more often than brown but that rarely gets taken into account either, I think the long tropical boots were used until the stores ran out and the short version just saved time and materials.
Here's a superb clip on YT that you may or may not have seen already....theres a few other clips as well.

1943 Tunisia - War is Over for the Afrika Korps 1 of 2 - YouTube

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would certainly agree with you that both types of wool greatcoat worn by the DAK without any doubt varied in shades of Olivegrun to a light chocolate brown, but certainly not as dark as the AL & SS versions ( I know DAK used British khaki greatcoats taken from storage at Tobruk) but hey, your happy with it so really that's all that matters :thumb, DAK wore black leather K98 ammo pouches more often than brown but that rarely gets taken into account either, I think the long tropical boots were used until the stores ran out and the short version just saved time and materials.
Here's a superb clip on YT that you may or may not have seen already....theres a few other clips as well.

1943 Tunisia - War is Over for the Afrika Korps 1 of 2 - YouTube
Thanks Chelseaboy, I think the jury is out and will probably stay out for a long time on some issues regarding DAK kit. Thank you for the link and yes I have seen those clips several times, they are great to see what kit was being used at the end of the Afrika campaign.
On my 1/1 kit I have black ammo pouches, and also on the majority of the other DAK infantry I have done in the past so I think I can sneak this one in with the brown leather ones. The brown ones from Alert Line are also functional which was also a plus for what I had in mind for this figure. The black ones I have at the moment are moulded ones.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Some pics of the finished figure all posed ready for the diorama.

There are a few against one of the desert backdrops I have,

IMG_2234.jpg
IMG_2236.jpg
IMG_2238.jpg

and then a few of him in the diorama.

IMG_2240.jpg
IMG_2241.jpg
IMG_2242.jpg
IMG_2244.jpg

I have tried for that Classic DAK look of infantry jogging alongside vehicles. I may blow some dust at him at some point to weather things a little, but for now I just want to enjoy him like this for a bit.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Some pics of the finished figure all posed ready for the diorama.

There are a few against one of the desert backdrops I have,

View attachment 381431
View attachment 381432
View attachment 381433

and then a few of him in the diorama.
View attachment 381434
View attachment 381435
View attachment 381436
View attachment 381437

I have tried for that Classic DAK look of infantry jogging alongside vehicles. I may blow some dust at him at some point to weather things a little, but for now I just want to enjoy him like this for a bit.
"invalid attachments"?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts