One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time I was under the general assumption that wrist compasses were commonly worn on the wrist for the Normandy jump. There is a ton of evidence that they were issued (so we know they were there) and they have come with every 1/6 Normandy Paratrooper box set since the 21st Century Toys original 101st Airborne figure. However, after combing through a stack of my books I am yet to actually see one being worn on the wrist. Here is a picture of one strapped to a set of m36 suspenders (82nd Holland) and another of forest guth with one tied to his foot but that is it.

So here is the question, were wrist compasses ever worn on the wrist or is it a "reenactor myth" like wearing the first aid kit on the helmet net (in Normandy).

If anyone has pictures please share.

Tire Wheel Squad Military uniform Military person

Face Smile Outerwear Photograph Human

Military person Font Handwriting Art Military uniform

Ballistic vest Helmet Gesture Military person Glove

· Registered
213 Posts
I would say that yes they were worn on the wrist but like a lot of the gear, other places were chosen that worked just as well as the wrist. My guess as to why this was done is that these paras were so overladen with gear that some wearing it on other places of the body helped make them feel like they were not so overloaded so to speak. Just my opinion..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.