One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone noticing how the Cy Girls vinyl outfits are stress cracking?

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,822 Posts
--

Yes.

I opened up a CY GEAR Black Ops outfit set that came with a black body suit and vest similar to the outfit CY GIRL Sky wears.

The black body suit had stress cracks out of the box and the vest deteriorated.

The outfit materials on the original CY GEAR figures don't hold up too well.

I take it you're finding and learning about this the hard way with your new photo stories as well going through older figures and un-boxing older figures?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, gonna be sad for many people. Most of these have been in storage for quite a while and never touched.

·
12,822 Posts
Yes, gonna be sad for many people. Most of these have been in storage for quite a while and never touched.
--

Storage?

Climate controlled or not?

·
12,822 Posts
sealed containers in my home.
--

AH . . .

I recommend sorting through them.

I'd say you have a 50/50 chance that not all of them are ruined per say. If they're MIB/NRFB, then odds are good. If they're loose and they've been posed a lot prior to being stored away, then possibly not so good.

Sort through them and consider separating the CY GIRL figures from everything else (which is the way it should be) if you have them mixed up with non-CY GIRL stuff.

·
12,822 Posts
Dan:

BTW . . .

If you're ever doing a Carl Butcher photo story along the lines of a 1:6 version of The Ten Commandments in terms of 1:6 casting (numerical wise), then let me know.

;) :p

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,779 Posts
--

AH . . .

I recommend sorting through them.

I'd say you have a 50/50 chance that not all of them are ruined per say. If they're MIB/NRFB, then odds are good. If they're loose and they've been posed a lot prior to being stored away, then possibly not so good.

Sort through them and consider separating the CY GIRL figures from everything else (which is the way it should be) if you have them mixed up with non-CY GIRL stuff.

wow, all yours?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The Cutie Honey figure is a notorious hair shedder. Takara used the coarsest grade horse hair they could find for that figure. I need to check on my "Kats" to see how they're holding up... I have noticed that CGs and PBs have become quite hard headed. Whereas their heads were flexible enough to be removed without heat when they were new, they now require a lot of heat for removal. I avoid removing them, especially my repainted ones.

Hate to say this, but MIB/NRFB does not improve the odds of the material being intact. Some of my sets were purchased new and remained MIB as backups for the sets that I used on figures on display. Ironically, some of the display/posing figures' outfits have fared better than the stored sets.

There are actually two forms of deterioration that I have found. One is from the material "drying out" and cracking or breaking away from the underlying fabric. This is what has happened to my MIB sets and a few figures.

The other deterioration I've encountered is from a lot of "play". This looks like cracking and stretching in the areas that see the most flexing. This deterioration is a lot less common in my CG population than the drying out type.

I guess plastics change over time as they age.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah the most noticeable ones are Ebony's red outfit (that started to crack many years ago and was kit bashed onto another figure) and just now I unearthed my Aurora and it had a reaction to the plastic. The silver parts on the legging came off and a bit of the white on her breast which was against the top plastic cover. I need to check my first series figures as they have been in a box in storage, but not in 'hot' storage.

Destiny, Elektra Ice and Aska are ok (my Shi figure was in the box with them and she's ok too)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts