One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that this is the 7th custom build thread that I have posted today, you can see that I have been busy of late, if not a little lax in keep y'all updated. So, anyway, as you can probably guess, I am going to show off another custom weapon WIP. This time around I have decided to get a little more creative than usual and am proud to present you with some early progress on my new Thales EF-88 Austeyr. This is the latest incarnation of the Australian Steyr AUG built under license in Lithgow, NSW. The export version of this rifle is also known as the F90. I only came across this quite recently and being taken by its striking profile, thought I would take a crack at her. I dug an old AUG out of the spare parts box which I had cannibalised for another build and set to work.

First things first - I began by separating the barrel assembly from the receiver to see what I had to work with. I then discarded most of the barrel and the grenade launcher which came with this particular weapon. Happy with what I had, I sealed her back up again. Next, I cut out the vent holes in the side of the receiver, although I might need to revisit these to make them a little bigger - what do you think?

I then chopped the handguard off and built a skeletal frame with strips of styrene. Once dry, this was covered with Miliput modeller's putty and shaped to produce the smooth lines seen in some of the later pics below. The handguard still need a little more work to tidy it up, although you can see that the profile is now about the right shape. While I had the Miliput out, I also slapped some on the butt stock to build up its chunkier profile. Again, once dry, this was sanded smooth, and once this is painted you will not even be able to see the line of the old AUG stock. What little Miliput I had left was added to the upper part of the receiver to build up the cheek rest, although this is still very rough and needs a lot more work.

I still have a long way to go, but am happy with how she is shaping up already.

This is not an illustration. This is a photo of the silhouette (contrast boosted to its maximum in PhotoShop) of the rifle thus far to show how far I have progressed in producing the distinctive outline of the EF-88.

Meanwhile, this is the look that I am going for ... what do you think of her so far? Compare the silhouette above with the photo below.

As always, your thoughts / comments / suggestions / constructive criticism are welcomed.

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brilliant!
Looking good Turkey!
Cheers fellas! I wanted to build one of these since first seeing a pic a couple of months ago. I am pretty happy with how she is taking shape so far. I'll post more pics when I find some more time to do some more on her.

·
Guardian of Hades
1,558 Posts
Yeah the French Government have also announced that they are going to replace their military's FAMAS rifles, with the F90 as their main front runner.
Although the EF-88/F90 has been developed and refined in Australia, I can see the French version being manufactured in France by Thales if it's adopted.

BTW, which version of the EF-88 are you building mate?

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! How about the current F-88/F-90 being used by Australians in Afghanistan? I wish I could get my hands on one of those so I could make a current Aussie.
Thanks Matt. I do take commissions, you know ... :wink
Drop me a line if you are interested. :thumb

BTW, which version of the EF-88 are you building mate?
I am still undecided which model I am going for, but it will most likely be the standard 16 inch barrel version with the 1.5×16 ACOG and a folding front grip, like the first rifle seen in the photo below (albeit without the suppressor). While I really like the look of the new 2-tone paintjob, I am still debating where or not I should go with it, or stick with black.

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great work!
That's a slick looking AUG. Gives me some ideas too.

I think the Aoshima or 21C versions would be the best ones to hack up for this mod. All the others are really basic, or too nice to cut up.
Thanks fellas, I feel like I am going out on a limb with this one, considering all of the scratch-building that is going to be involved. I am pretty happy with how it looks so far, but am a little intimidated by all of the detail work involved in recreating that upper receiver.

cdn_rhino - I am not sure what brand of AUG I am using, but it was one of those cheap ones that you can pick up on eBay for around $10, same as the one in the pic (albeit in tan). Its not great, but the detail is more than sufficient to meet my needs for this project.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Echoing Rhino that thing is slick. Your project is shaping up and should be a sight to behold when you're finished. Very inspiring :thumb

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,040 Posts

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What ever happened to this project? I would love to see the finished rifle.
Hey Josh, sad to say that she still looks exactly the same as in the photos posted above. This project, as James correctly surmised, has been in storage for the past year. I would like to get back into this one again soon.

Jason works overseas quite often. Chances are it's in storage.
Right on the money James ... She has been in storage for the past year collecting dust. However, I am now back in Oz, albeit briefly, and while here I might see if I can't dig her out of the box and take her with me to work on some more.

That makes pretty good sense why I haven't seen him on for a while.
Hey Uswin, I have been working on a couple of small projects here and there, but nowhere near the frequency that I used to.

Looking good so far!
Cheers! Still a long way to go though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts