One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in need of a spring pattern SS helmet cover, but I didn't have any, I was out of money, and I can't sew the small curves yet. I decided to made one out of athletic tape (it's ironic that I would have athletic tape, but I found some in the loose parts bin). I carefully stretched a strip of the tape over the top of a DML helmet shell to minimize wrinkles and folds. I then cut to semi-circles and stuck them on the sides, overlapping the edges of the top strip. I painted the entire cover in tan paint, with several layers to get into every fold and under the overlaps of the 3 pieces. I made the camo in an SS plane-tree overprint, not showing any number on it, because of the several patterns, I might be wrong on the pattern # for the colors I used. I lightly mixed some green in with the tan, and painted an oakleaf pattern, slightly subdued on all 3 panels. The top panel had the best pattern, so I put dark grey-green-brown spots on it. The sides got the blocks of the pattern, as the oakleaf pattern kinda sucked. I then hand-painted on all the stitching with off-white paint and an 18/0 brush. The, i trimmed the inside to remove all the pleating from folding the tape over the helmet, and added helmet clips from steel wire. I still need to improve the pattern, but it works well enough for me.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Nice experimenting DS, it seems to fit the stahlhelm's form well. You may want to cut slits on the inner cover flaps, it may help reduce the bunching at the bottom from the tape's width.
Heh, at least you have two of the colours down for painting modern DCU pattern.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I have lots of rolls of athletic tape (for my 1/1 pursuits) and never thought of using this for scaled fabric. that's one of the great things about this hobby - finding regular everyday items and adapting it to use for 1/6.

thx for sharing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.