One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Here is yet another customised scale weapon. I have had this guy in the stash for a while now, and only just recently found time to do some work on her. I didn't do too much to change this rifle: I extended the upper rail backwards over the bolt so I could give her an ACOG without attaching it halfway down the rifle and repainted her. While it might be hard to see in these pics, I have toned the stainless steel finish down with an oil paint wash which has left her with a slight champagne gold finish - an unexpected, but most welcome result. Aside from that, I slapped a couple of accessories onto all of those rails and voila!

Your thoughts / comments / constructive criticism is welcomed.

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big improvement over TC's paint job.
Thanks Ryan, I'm pretty happy with the way that she worked out. Like I said above, the tinting effect of the oil paint wash on the stainless steel worked out much better than anticipated.

Major big improvement man. Nice work.
Thanks Josh! Glad you like her, mate.

Nice work, I love the EBR and you took it to the next level.
Cheers Luke! I have plans for a range of different M14 models. This is just the first of hopefully many.

Excellent work as always dude :thumb
Thanks Brian! I appreciate it.

Cheer Viper! :thumb

Not bad! It looks better than original Toy City's one, if I'm not wrong.
Cheers! Well, if its any consolation, I for one (and at least a few other members who have commented here) do not think that you are wrong in this.

·
WHAT?!! No cupcakes?!
526 Posts
You're really bringing out the potential of this piece. There was always something off about each of the EBR releases. This custom just feels right. Awesome work!

The oil paint wash is such a good idea and has such a neat effect. Can you tell us more about the wash? I've always wanted to fix the SS Daniel Defense Mk18 RIS II.

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks nice. How did you paint the main body? Did you airbrush or hand brush?
You're really bringing out the potential of this piece. There was always something off about each of the EBR releases. This custom just feels right. Awesome work!

The oil paint wash is such a good idea and has such a neat effect. Can you tell us more about the wash? I've always wanted to fix the SS Daniel Defense Mk18 RIS II.
Thanks for the support guys!

In reply to your questions about painting ... The main chassis (the stainless steel parts) was not painted. All other blued metal parts (barrel, breech assembly, trigger guard) were sprayed with metallic black. This is an awesome paint, for those of you who have not come across it yet; I use it on most of my builds now as it produces a very realistic metallic finish on bare metal parts. Meanwhile, the synthetic furniture parts (butt stock, pistol grip, handguard covers, and forward grip) were masked off and sprayed with a coat of tan. This is a huge improvement over the original weird shade of tan that TC had applied. Some small details were then painted by hand in gunmetal grey to add a little contrast to the areas of blued metal.

Once all of the basic painting had been done, I gave her an oil paint wash. This is achieved by diluting some Burnt Umber oil paint in some mineral turpentine and applied all over in an even coat. I normally use this method to add shadow detail to recessed sections, but in this case it added an overall colour cast to the stainless steel, leaving it with a champagne gold tinge.

Once the wash had dried, I gave the whole thing a drybrush with some buff paint to pick out some of the raised details and to add a little more depth to the paintjob. The magazine was also given a drybrush, albeit with some gunmetal grey, which to my eye at least, has produced a very realistic worn metal look.

Finally, the ACOG started out as the one which came with the Caltek Preacher figure with its weird paintjob. After masking off the lenses, this was given a coat of flat black, followed by a drybrush with buff paint to make her pop.

·
WHAT?!! No cupcakes?!
526 Posts
Thanks for the paint walk-thru. When I see what you guys do for weathering, dry brushing etc, I feel like I have much to learn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts