One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first try at making a boot, of any kind. I think I commited a massive 1:6th sin, because I had to tear apart an NLM jackboot for the pattern.After dissecting the NLM boot, I slitly altered the pattern to fit figures better. The boot I had from NLM was sewn crooked and too tall.I made the to and back piece from roughout. The toe is based off originals, and the backpiece is because that piece of leather ws dyed black, not tanned. I'm still experimentingon forming the toe of the boot. I need to make a wooden shoe last, instead of using one of DML's plastic boots. The sole is from an NLM, I did not have enough leather to make it.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Not a bad start Richard. May I suggest making your pattern from a material you can get at most fabric stores called interfacing. This is what Laura uses for patterns. Something that may help is to put the boot on a foot when trying to shape the toe. Also while your doing your R&D you may want to make a heel out of craft foamy.
Hope this helps,
Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
... because that piece of leather ws dyed black, not tanned. ...
Just to clarify, "tanning" is the process by which a green (fresh off the animal) or rawhide (scraped and dried) hide is transformed into leather. The term has no reflection whatsoever on coloring. For bark-tanned leather, it's the "tannins" within the bark that are the magic ingredient (oak is ideal). Many heavy supple leathers are either vegetable or bark tanned.

As for your boot......

I don't think I'd tear apart a NLM for anything. ;)

Repeated fittings and trimmings of a cheap fabric dummy boot or a masking tape boot are the way I do patterns.

Keep practicing.

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys. wheather NLMs are good or not, i like mine more. the rough out toe is more realistic, although thepattern sucks. Plus, after some polish or paint, they'll look nicley worn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts